Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 08:22 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,631,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
One Generation Away I September 1, 2014

A movie on losing our religious freedom.
Whatever. I am not and will not be a victim. Watch me pray over my food in restaurants, rebuke atheist in the name of Jesus, and declare over all the darkness in this nation and in Hollywood and make it come to pass. We have the power. Not them. Stop giving them that satisfaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 09:14 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,526,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Whatever. I am not and will not be a victim. Watch me pray over my food in restaurants, rebuke atheist in the name of Jesus, and declare over all the darkness in this nation and in Hollywood and make it come to pass. We have the power. Not them. Stop giving them that satisfaction.
That is why this movie is coming out. Finally speaking back.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:23 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,208,174 times
Pass the popcorn.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:46 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,246,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Although no freedoms have been lost, there is a general hostility towards Christians and Christianity which I think is more spiritual than anything. We only have rights now because there is a majority in Congress and the populace who hold loosely to traditional Christian values handed down through generations. The vocal hostile minority have expressed their opinion of Christianity, and once 'they' are the majority, the Christianity and its values will erode further. Right now it's under the guise of anti-fundamentalism. Comparing people who read the Bible and hold to it's precepts as radical fundamentalists; I mean really. I will check out the film!
The hostility which you speak of has only come about as a result of the church being deeply embedding into the political machine and becoming more militant in society and trying to tell others what they can, should, must do and not do. It is no surprise that this militant form of Christianity has met with STRONG resistance from intelligent and thoughtful (thinking) people. No one is going to put up with that - not even you if your proverbial toes get stepped on.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
What a ridiculous list. #1, "stereotyping the group", is done about EVERY sub-population, from redheads (quick-tempered) to people with several cats (dotty), to Lesbians (mannish, hate men") to Muslims (all terrorists).

As for your notion that we are up to #4--criminalizing? It cites the DHHS case as an example?

Christiainists, which I distinguish from real Christians (who do as Jesus did) as the ones who make EVERYTHING about "persecution of Christians" when what they mean is "not letting me get my way 100.00000% of the time in controlling OTHER people based on my religious views", think any time someone is allowed to do something they don't want is "persecution". No, your religion affect YOUR OWN life, YOUR OWN behavior; it doesn't affect anyone else's.

If YOU don't want to use birth control (which I presume is the example cited in your article), nobody is making you use it. But telling someone else they cannot is persecuting THEM because it's exercising a level of control that people in a free country do not (or at least should not) have over each other.

You are whining that you don't get to tell everyone else what to do based on (very selected passages from) your religious book--essentially, you want to persecute others, and the fact that you can't do so makes you feel "persecuted"? Wow, typical bully syndrome.

Meanwhile, if you want to live in a country where there is a national religion, the USA is the wrong place for you. Try the Middle East--you can bet that the laws are tied directly to religious texts in most of those countries, and most of their laws make the Religious Right in this country look positively liberal. Sounds like you'd love it.
An excellent post. You absolutely nailed it and told it like it really is.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:02 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,526,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
The hostility which you speak of has only come about as a result of the church being deeply embedding into the political machine and becoming more militant in society and trying to tell others what they can, should, must do and not do. It is no surprise that this militant form of Christianity has met with STRONG resistance from intelligent and thoughtful (thinking) people. No one is going to put up with that - not even you if your proverbial toes get stepped on.
What do you think is the "militant form" of Christianity is?

Old 09-06-2014, 02:20 AM

Quote:
The form that meddles in people's lives as much as possible and demands that everyone be like them and do whatever they think is right instead of minding themselves and leaving people be who are not hurting others. Surely you are not clueless as to what we are talking about here. We are talking about the Christians who are always throwing their weight around and demanding to mold the world to be the way they think it should be and to hell with others including more moderate or even LIBERAL Christians who disagree with them. I have two CHRISTIAN LEFT T-Shirts. I wear it in my RED REPUBLICAN community and no one has ever said, hey - I like your shirt! Jesus loves everyone - not just the far right fundamentalist zealots.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:54 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,932,081 times
Quote:
Seriously? The ones who try to get creationism taught as science, the ones who push for bans on same sex marriage for no better reason than that their perception of religion says it is a sin, the ones who complain about prayer being taken out of the schools and religious symbols from governmrnt land, and especially the ones who claim that religious freedom is being threatened with NO factual evidence to back their claims.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:21 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,317,499 times
Quote:
One Generation Away I September 1, 2014

A movie on losing our religious freedom.
That which i greatly feared came upon me. Then we wonder why we live in an unlovely world.

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely ...

Paul and the apostles never protested their rights, they were free men and women, you cannot imprison freedom or take it away from someone, for where the spirit of the Lord is there is liberty. Nothing can separate you from the love of God.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:39 AM

511 posts, read 491,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Exactly!

You are not being forced to give up your faith. You are not being forced to go to X-rated movies. You are not being forced to give up going to Mass. You are not being forced to rip up your Bible or your Missal or your prayer books. Your priest is not being forced to say a Satanic mass and he is not being forced to give up baptizing children.

Feel better?
so touchy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity