Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2020, 09:20 AM

3 posts, read 632 times

Advertisements

'Augustine was the first known to argue that aionios signi-
fied endless. He at first maintained that it always meant thus,
but at length abandoned that ground, and only claimed that
it had that meaning sometimes. He "was very imperfectly
acquainted with the Greek language." - (from Confessions)'

--
JOHN WESLEY HANSON
(Aion-aionios: an excursus on the Greek work rendered everlasting, eternal, etc., in the Holy Bible)

[url]https://archive.org/stream/aionaioniosexcur00hans/aionaioniosexcur00hans_djvu.txt[/url]

From what I gathered, I think he was corrected by followers of Origen. I might be mistaken, but I would really like to see the record or accounting of this conversation that changed his mind.

Last edited by Mardymar; 08-29-2020 at 09:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2020, 10:10 AM

3 posts, read 632 times
What I've found:

It seems Augustine originally thought all forms of aion meant things like 'endless, infinite' etc. So a Spanish theologian named Orosius visited him and convinced him to change his definition on almost all the words. Augustine still insisted that 'aionios' could only mean endless, and used that word in his Latin bible translation, though he admitted to being perplexed by some of its uses in the Greek old testament.

Last edited by Mardymar; 08-29-2020 at 10:38 AM..

Old 08-29-2020, 10:22 AM

7,530 posts, read 3,033,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardymar View Post
'Augustine was the first known to argue that aionios signi-
fied endless. He at first maintained that it always meant thus,
but at length abandoned that ground, and only claimed that
it had that meaning sometimes. He "was very imperfectly
acquainted with the Greek language." - (from Confessions)'

--
JOHN WESLEY HANSON
(Aion-aionios: an excursus on the Greek work rendered everlasting, eternal, etc., in the Holy Bible)

https://archive.org/stream/aionaioni...0hans_djvu.txt

From what I gathered, I think he was corrected by followers of Origen. I might be mistaken, but I would really like to see the record or accounting of this conversation that changed his mind.
I am familiar with the remarkable writing of Dr. Hanson, but alas, have no clue where to find what you desire in your post.

An aion is a period of time preceded by aion's and followed by aion's, and as such is plural. This is the foundation for aionios. The rules are quite precise, no noun (in this case aion), can have an adjective (aionios) of greater scope.

In fact, aionios reaches into a quality of life & correction.....

"This IS aionios zoe, that we may know You...."

Old 08-29-2020, 10:47 AM

3 posts, read 632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post
I am familiar with the remarkable writing of Dr. Hanson, but alas, have no clue where to find what you desire in your post.

An aion is a period of time preceded by aion's and followed by aion's, and as such is plural. This is the foundation for aionios. The rules are quite precise, no noun (in this case aion), can have an adjective (aionios) of greater scope.

In fact, aionios reaches into a quality of life & correction.....

"This IS aionios zoe, that we may know You...."
I read this whole thing in one sitting. It was really fascinating.

It just seems that, in this statement, he was wrong and Augustine never changed his mind about aionios. Hanson might have explained it better somewhere else and I just missed it, though.

Old 08-29-2020, 03:56 PM

7,530 posts, read 3,033,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardymar View Post
I read this whole thing in one sitting. It was really fascinating.

It just seems that, in this statement, he was wrong and Augustine never changed his mind about aionios. Hanson might have explained it better somewhere else and I just missed it, though.
Good grief!

We kids could never handle reading this "thing" in one sitting. Little increments is all I can handle.

I do believe you are right; Augustine was stuck in his grasp of aionios.

Universalism: The Prevailing Doctrine For the First 500 Years -J.W. Hanson D.D.

I The Earliest Creeds 5

II Early Christianity a Cheerful Religion 17

III Origin of Endless Punishment 36

IV Doctrines of Mitigation and Reserve 53

V Two Kindred Topics 61

VI The Apostles' Immediate Successors 70

VII The Gnostic Sects 90

VIII The Sibylline Oracles 96

IX Pantaenus and Clement 103

X Origen 129

XI Origen--Continued 165

XII The Eulogists of Origen 181

XIII A Third Century Group 188

XIV Minor Authorities 200

XV Gregory Nazianzen 211

XVI Theodore of Mopsuestia and the Nestorians 216

XVII A Notable Family 226

XVIII Additional Authorities 244

XIX The Deterioration of Christian Thought 260

XX Augustine--Deterioration Continued 271

XXI Unsuccessful Attempts to Suppress Universalism 282

XXII The Eclipse of Universalism 296

XXIII Summary of Conclusions 304
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity