Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 08:09 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .EL. View Post
If he came today, who would you be?
The same person, I AM, and always will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 08:57 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,786,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Thinker View Post
The persecutors of Jesus were those he ticked off -
Those who were obsessed with rules that got in the way of true righteousness
Those who held the power (and profits) of the autocratic Temple
The occupying rulers who cruelly suppressed anything that even sounded like rebellion
I am not a Shammai Pharisee or a Sadducee or a Roman. In fact, as a former Sixties rebel myself I have something of a soft spot for the J-man.

Disciple? People today have little appreciation for what that originally meant. A disciple was someone who gave up everything and joined Jesus on the road to spread the word. This totality of physical commitment is emphasized in a number of places in the Gospels. Luke tells us that Jesus even discouraged too many disciples.

So who am I? One of those who tries to do what Jesus said we ought to do. Because Jesus said so? No, because it is the right thing to do. What did Jesus say to do?

Jesus even downplays his own role in the matter (v 17). In fact he leaves out the ‘worship’ commandments and the ‘covet’ commandments. It is all about what you DO. And what you are supposed to do is really very straightforward. Don’t murder, don’t commit adultery, don’t steal, don’t lie, honor your parents. Oh and that catchall that is really the hardest for most people. Love your neighbor as yourself. Like I said, I try. So if Jesus showed up today, I would be really surprised. But not terribly worried.
Jesus said much more than that. He sent His true followers as He was sent with the same words and mission.

I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me even though he died he will come to life and anyone who lives and believes in me shall never die.

The Lord says this;

"Let the righteous rejoice in the Lord and take refuge in Him, let all the upright of heart glorify Him."

"Offer to God praise as a sacrifice and fulfill your vows to the Most High then call upon me in your time of distress and I shall rescue you and you shall glorify me", says the Lord

"I'm going to make right a measuring line and justice a level".

Old 10-16-2014, 09:27 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,126,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
Jesus said much more than that. He sent His true followers as He was sent with the same words and mission.

I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me even though he died he will come to life and anyone who lives and believes in me shall never die.

The Lord says this;

"Let the righteous rejoice in the Lord and take refuge in Him, let all the upright of heart glorify Him."

"Offer to God praise as a sacrifice and fulfill your vows to the Most High then call upon me in your time of distress and I shall rescue you and you shall glorify me", says the Lord

"I'm going to make right a measuring line and justice a level".
How does any of that affect what I said? Jesus was asked a very specific question and gave a very specific answer. Mark and Luke tell the same story in virtually the same words. People like to quote John 11:25 but they generally leave out John 11:26 "whoever lives by believing in me will never die". (You did include it, most people do not.)What does it mean to live by believing in someone other than to live as they say? And how did Jesus say to live? See Matthew 19 in my post above for how Jesus said to live to get eternal life, i.e., "will never die".

Old 10-16-2014, 10:12 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,786,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Thinker View Post
How does any of that affect what I said? Jesus was asked a very specific question and gave a very specific answer. Mark and Luke tell the same story in virtually the same words. People like to quote John 11:25 but they generally leave out John 11:26 "whoever lives by believing in me will never die". (You did include it, most people do not.)What does it mean to live by believing in someone other than to live as they say? And how did Jesus say to live? See Matthew 19 in my post above for how Jesus said to live to get eternal life, i.e., "will never die".
There is only One who is good. The Lord and I are One.

The righteous do what is right and the good keep the ways of the One.

Whoever seeks the glory of the One who sent him is truthful and there is no unrighteousness in him.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:34 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,593,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
The Lord says this;

"Speak the truth to one another, judge righteously and let honesty and peace be at your gates."

"Seek the Lord so you will live. Seek justice seek humility perhaps you'll be sheltered on the day of the Lord's anger."

"Render true judgment and show kindness and compassion to one another."
These are from Zephaniah and Zechariah.
Not the words of Christ.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:26 PM

43 posts, read 44,851 times
Christians today rely upon their teachings and what is written in the bible to support their points of views much in the same manner as those who 2000 years ago relied upon their teachings that lead to the rejection of new ideas and eventually the crucifixion of Jesus and the death of the apostles.

Without an inner compass, without original thoughts of your own, and always relying on previously written text, books, and scriptures you are forever indoctrinated as a product of the society, culture, and religion you are born into or accustomed.

Today there is a new truth.

You must break these bonds and see with your own eyes. However you will not be able to do so as only those with true inner strength, independence, leadership, and self-awareness possess the ability to break away from old traditions and discern the truth from fiction. These are the qualities of an apostle as they followed Jesus on a new mission with a new truth. They had no books.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:07 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
Quote:
I would be me, either resurrected or raptured. I can hardly wait.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:05 AM
Zur

949 posts, read 831,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I would be me, either resurrected or raptured. I can hardly wait.
Hello, brother, you seem to be the one that knows the Lord! I had a vision or a dream, I cannot remember. Jesus came in the air with great spead and He judged 5 people, they stood in a row and were looking to Jesus, everyone had his mouth wide open and they were very surprised. Than Jesus gave me a personal warning that I was not ready to meet Him. Here are some telling us that they would like that the Lord would come today or tomorrow, but the question is, are they ready? Many Christians will be very surprised when Jesus comes and they are left behind. Everyone can stand before the Lord any moment, nobody knows the time of his last breath, the ones that are not ready will face darkness and not light. The message is simple: repent and seek the Lord that you may be filled with His Spirit instead of the spirit of this world, which is darkness. Than you will overcome and be with Jesus forever.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:22 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
he doesn't come and go. We only "take notice" of it.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:56 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
JESUS CAME TODAY

A stranger came today with a new message for the world, what did you do? You will find a reason not to listen and for not believing just as persecutors did over 2000 years ago. Jesus challenged the established religions. Your affiliation with a long established religion will influence your judgment as it did 2000 years ago. You like to think you would be a disciple, but it is impossible to become an apostle if you insist upon the status quo. Once again, you will fail to listen and history will repeat itself. You are the persecutor.

The expansion of our beliefs comes from messages, this is the only way it’s ever been done. Jesus advanced our beliefs by introducing a new message to the world. The story of Jesus is a lesson to be learned, test of our character and the roles we play.

A. Disciple
B.
Persecutor
Learn more about Jesus Came Today.

EL
He came once to God's people who were looking for him. The vast majority rejected him and it would not be any different today. We have more than enough now to believe and act on that belief. If someone needs more, his appearance would not be enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity