Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2014, 09:07 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
In other words, I made a valid point and you just don't want to acknowledge it.
Actually, your point was anything BUT valid. The problem with the baker was not a result of gay marriage in itself at all, it was the result of those people objecting to taking any part in a ceremony concerning gay marriage. The point is that if those people did not react the way they did, there would have been no "effect" at all. The onus is not on the institution, but on the reactionary ignorance of the baker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 09:09 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
I only accept that argument if a person goes into the business fully knowing the laws and limitations ahead of time. Here we have a case of people who have run this business for decades and now the government suddenly changes the laws and demands that they follow them. Is that right?
Yes. You've been told that previously. If laws change, then everyone has to follow the new law. That's how it works in the United States of America. New laws are written. Old laws are changed or declared unconstitutional.

Do you live outside the U.S.? Considering how little you know about how this country works....I'm beginning to think you do. This is basic stuff you should have learned before you left high school. (Maybe you are still in high school? If so...please pay attention.)

It's not an argument. It's how it works. PLEASE educate yourself. If you do live in the U.S. there is no excuse for ignorance in a country with taxpayer funded schools and libraries.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:28 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I really want to marry my car...where can I find a minister?

Old 10-24-2014, 10:10 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I really want to marry my car...where can I find a minister?
It's fairly likely that you could find a commercial venture like the one in the story that would go along with the joke.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:29 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'm not sure you understand what "separate but equal" means. In this country, "separate but equal" was an idea promoted by a lot of white fundamentalists (and a lot of flat-out bigots) who thought the Bible said blacks and whites shouldn't mix. They didn't want their white children sitting in classrooms with black children. So they tried to justify segregated schools by claiming black children, sitting in an all black school, would get an education that was equal to the education of white kids sitting in an all white school. The problem was the black schools were inferior. And everyone with half a brain knew "separate but equal"..... wasn't.

The LGBT community doesn't want separate but equal. They want full rights as citizens. Equality under the law.

If YOU want separate but equal...... it was declared unconstitutional in a unanimous (9-0) ruling by the Supreme Court of the United States of America in 1954. Brown v. Board of Education. It's a violation of the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment to the Constitution. And.... cherry on top.... Lyndon B. Johnson signed the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
So with your logic, that means EVERY Christian organization must accept gays. Or else it is separate but equal. No? Then stop comparing it to the civil rights era.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:32 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
So with your logic, that means EVERY Christian organization must accept gays. Or else it is separate but equal. No? Then stop comparing it to the civil rights era.
It's not my logic. As was explained to you it's the law. Do you have a problem with comprehension or do you just need to stir things up so you can entertain yourself?

Equal rights for the LGBT community IS the last, unfinished business of the Civil Rights Movement. Don't like it?

Cope.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:32 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,341,304 times
Quote:
Every business involved in public interest.

And you don't have to "accept" them, you just can't discriminate due to their sexual orientation. It's really not that difficult to understand.

It's the same reason you can't serve public interest and say "No blacks allowed". Discrimination laws are in place to prevent things like that.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:33 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Private organization is not the same a business. Open a business to the public you serve the public. Open a private club, you can kick out whoever you want.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:35 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Yes. You've been told that previously. If laws change, then everyone has to follow the new law. That's how it works in the United States of America. New laws are written. Old laws are changed or declared unconstitutional.

Do you live outside the U.S.? Considering how little you know about how this country works....I'm beginning to think you do. This is basic stuff you should have learned before you left high school. (Maybe you are still in high school? If so...please pay attention.)

It's not an argument. It's how it works. PLEASE educate yourself. If you do live in the U.S. there is no excuse for ignorance in a country with taxpayer funded schools and libraries.
"Please educate yourself" is nothing more than a cheap tactic to look superior. I know how the legal system works. That has nothing to do with my point that this new law is unfair to people who already had an established business.

I get it that it is the law. Are you simply incapable of discussing this topic without retreating to "it's the law, it's the law!"? This is also a democracy, and we the people have the right to protest unjust laws and complain to our representatives in government.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:36 AM

23 posts, read 25,156 times
Quote:
But you are distorting the issue here. The real concern is that the government is forcing Christian ministers to do something against their will and deeply held religious beliefs. It shouldn't matter it is for profit or not. Business owners shouldn't be forced to go against their wishes under the banner of discrimination. They may even see performing the ceremony to be committing an act of sin before God. So it's either lose your business and go to jail or commit sin?
You do realize this is the same argument once used to justify businesses refusing to serve African Americans don't you? So, how is this any different? In both cases, businesses are engaging in blatant prejudicial discrimination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity