Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 11:04 PM

8,178 posts, read 6,928,011 times

Advertisements

Hi djmagnum,

Maybe try a different way of seeing things.

"Those who know love, know God for God IS love."

1 Corinthians 13 does a good job of outlining the characteristics of Love.

Here is an excerpt:

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. [SIZE=2]5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres[/SIZE]

Within yourself.... try to be patient.
Within yourself... try to be gentle (with yourself and others)
Within yourself... try to be kind (to yourself and also towards others)
Within yourself...try to be humble and not self-seeking.
Within yourself... think of what it means to "keep no record of wrongs" (forgiveness, patience, long-suffering.)

Maybe if you focus on these things for awhile, you will start to feel that God is with you, because you will start to know Him better... and will recognize his "voice" within, speaking to your heart, guiding you.

"Those who know LOVE, know God... for God IS love."

Peace to you friend..
sparrow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 07:03 AM

1,100 posts, read 796,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djmagnum View Post
It's hard to just say all that he has done for me. I'm just gonna say it. He was literally with me, in my heart filled with love and peace. He would comfort me every time I prayed and I loved reading my bible, and praying all the time. After a while, it all went away. Nothing, I felt my prayers just hitting the ceiling. Another fellow I saw on a blog said the same thing happened to him, but later he realized it was a trial of faith. He never said what happened and how he figured it out. I just feel left out, and trying to pray and read my bible more.

People on here will just quote bible verses, or say don't go by your feelings. I understand that. I agree with that, but that's not what I'm looking for. I want to know if anyone has gone through that silent time, dry season in their life. There are many blogs on it, just not many testimonies or realizations.
Well, there were times that it could be considered silent and not getting anything from the Lord when presently, it seems there is nothing "new" to give the Father thanks in Jesus's name for. Sort of a same old same old thing as the monotonous of life and the hopelessness of this life settles in, and things are not getting better with the threat of things always getting worse.

That's when He reminds me to be thankful for the times He has helped me and comforted me, and to be thankful for the things I do have; my health for what it is ( could be worse ), having a shelter over my head, and still have food to eat and clothes to wear. Oh, and a shower, just so I can sleep better at night without that itchy feeling I get on my skin at times when I did not think I did enough that day to warrant a shower. People rarely think of the things they are thankful for until they don't have it any more.

Lamentations 3:26It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the Lord.

Sometimes I believe that these dry periods are for strengthening our faith.

John 20:29Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

Faith is the evidence of things not seen; and yet presently, it seems you want to have those good peaceful moments that you had with the Lord and that can be considered as looking for a sign or a feel good moment from the Lord. Maybe the Lord is trying to spread your wings to believe that He is with you always that you do not need to feel the shelter of His nest but believe you are sheltered by Him.

Romans 8:24 For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for? 25 But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.

Hebrews 11:1Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. 2 For by it the elders obtained a good report.

At least it is a dry period in the testing of your faith and not a storm, but it is the same thing because in a storm, the waves can take your eyes off of Jesus, whereas in the dry period, the absence of those feel good moments can take your eyes off of Jesus too. The answer's the same. Apply faith & hope.

And yes, I have asked Jesus to help me in my unbelief when I have been going through my trials of faith. Faith is a fruit of the Spirit and so I can turn to Jesus for help to increase my faith, as in, to help me trust Him more.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:23 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
I've been a new Christian for 3 years now, and I've read some blogs about how Gods silence is one of the sure ways it's a trial of faith, and trust. Well, God has been silent for awhile now and I know he wants me to rely on his word and not my feelings. Here's my question though: when will this be over? I see people who have close fellowship with him and others who never have felt the Holy Spirit.

Have you ever had a silent or dry season? And if so, when did it end or what did you learn. Thank you
Well what you are dealing with is normal.

God's spirit leading us to understand the Scriptures does not necessarily impart some special feeling. In Fact Satan's spirit does.

God speaks through His word, the Bible. If you read it, pray for guidance then the Spirit will lead you to understand the words. In fact that you see the idea we do need to walk by faith is evidence the spirit has led you to at least that point.

Now relying on your feelings would only be good IF they were in agreement with Scripture. Think of it as a road trip and you have a map and "feel" you made the right turn without checking the map. Maybe you did maybe not, Checking the map will show you if the feeling was true or not.

Now those trusting to their "feelings", claiming to be spirit led and ignore the Bible are on the road, but it is the broad road.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:15 AM

14,885 posts, read 17,164,304 times
DJmagnum, what everyone has shared is good. Listen to them. It's not about feelings. This too shall pass. Yes, we have all been through this. It is normal and it is a part of the Christian life. This is where faith comes in. God is here for you in the good and in the bad times. I have been through this many times. Just hang in there and tell God everything that you are experiencing. He wants you to lean on Him totally for everything, even when you don't feel like it. I have a special place where I go to be alone and shut out all of the noise around me. I just stay there in prayer and pour out my heart to God and ask Him to help me. Help me to have faith in Him. I tell Him that I am weak and that I need Him. I trust that He will show me the way in time and you know what? He has never failed, DJmagnum. God bless.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:19 AM

14,885 posts, read 17,164,304 times
The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles. The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. A righteous man may have many troubles, but the LORD delivers him from them all – Psalm 34

I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand – Psalm 40:1-2

God bless.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:44 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
Jesus brought Me through one some ten years ago as the church were I was going started teaching a lot of supporting divisions and teaching on restricting Holy Spirit and the gift of the Holy Spirit , which I found disturbing .................Where the spiritual abuses were there , and then I was not supporting every thing that was preached whether it was error or not, which invited the dark spirit of this world which even the spirit which causes the illness of cancer was on my table before the Lord ............... I demanded to Jesus that all this was gone , and Jesus lead me out of that church in into one which had the evidence of Holy spirit and did preach the gospel , and all the dark spirit were gone even this spirit which causes the illness of cancer was gone , and all the spirits which cause other pains were all gone ...Glory to God ......Then when it does get quiet or dry of Jesus Holy Spirit , then you could relax for a day or two in the peace of God , then as issues come up you and no response from God you need to be persistent in your prayers , and even pray in the spirit the same prayer over and over , and over and over non stop , until Jesus said OK .....See Jesus does not prefer repetitive prayers but Jesus will answer then more as it is a persistence which is needed for expectation of faith to be engaged for God to move

Old 10-31-2014, 06:33 PM

1,100 posts, read 796,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorInSpirit View Post
I would rather need Him to help me trust Him to get through this day & for whatever I face tomorrow. Fortunately, I am not confronted with provocative moments on a daily basis & so I am thankful for that as well as carrying me through those moments when it happens.

So ask Him to help you trust Him.

Romans 8:31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us? 32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

Maybe the Lord will use some christian music videos to encourage you. They do for me.

Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. 17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

Lord I Need You by Chris Tomlin

Chris Tomlin - Lord I Need You - YouTube

Who Am I by Casting Crowns ( w/lyrics ) below

Who Am I - Casting Crowns (w/ lyrics) - YouTube

Whom Shall I Fear [God of Angel Armies ] [ with lyrics ]

Whom Shall I Fear [God of Angel Armies] [Lyrics] - YouTube

He is helping me keep my sights on the things that really matter above with this one below:

I Can Only Imagine ( with lyrics ) by MercyMe

I Can Only Imagine (with lyrics) - MercyMe - YouTube
I should point out in the third music video posted "Whom Shall I Fear [God of Angel Armies ] [ with lyrics ] that "God beside me" is not true as far as the New Testament is concern because "Jesus Christ is in us". This is why believers cannot get closer to God in any other way than getting to know Him through His words of His promises to you of what man cannot do, but He can by faith in Him.

Colossians 1:27To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: 28 Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:

1 Corinthians 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

It is important to know this truth because the Holy Spirit is not the "spirit" you sense outside of us no matter what peace or good feelings that spirit brings as those would be the actions of seducing spirits.

1 John 4:1Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world....4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

The line of discernment has been given for believers to test every spirit as the real indwelling Holy Spirit will always keep the spotlight on the Son so that you as the bride will relate to God the Father through the Son, the Bridegroom.

John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; 17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

So the next time a supernatural event occurs that a spirit would take your eyes off of the Son to relate to the Father thru them, do not believe it, but trust your Good Shepherd to lead you & guide you to keep you from falling for these seducing spirits by keeping yoru eyes on the Bridegroom for He will be coming soon for the abiding bride of Christ to take Home to the Marriage Supper at the pre trib rapture event, leaving those wayward saints behind that were not found abiding in Him to be gethered later on at His coming after the great tribulation.

So I would change some of the words in the lyrics of that third music video because Jesus is in us and we cannot get any closer to Him than just by reading His words & His promises to us so that our love may abound in the knowledge of Him.

Colossians 2:5 For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the spirit, joying and beholding your order, and the stedfastness of your faith in Christ. 6 As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him: 7 Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving. 8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ. 9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. 10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

Philippians 2:6Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ: 7 Even as it is meet for me to think this of you all, because I have you in my heart; inasmuch as both in my bonds, and in the defence and confirmation of the gospel, ye all are partakers of my grace. 8 For God is my record, how greatly I long after you all in the bowels of Jesus Christ. 9 And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment; 10 That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ. 11 Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

May God have mercy on me for not clarifying that truth in my choice of music videos for encouragement.

2 Timothy 4:18 And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Jude 1:24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, 25 To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

Last edited by PoorInSpirit; 10-31-2014 at 06:43 PM..

Old 11-01-2014, 08:17 AM

23,164 posts, read 10,455,314 times
Quote:
I've been a new Christian for 3 years now, and I've read some blogs about how Gods silence is one of the sure ways it's a trial of faith, and trust. Well, God has been silent for awhile now and I know he wants me to rely on his word and not my feelings. Here's my question though: when will this be over? I see people who have close fellowship with him and others who never have felt the Holy Spirit.

Have you ever had a silent or dry season? And if so, when did it end or what did you learn. Thank you
There is a plan to walk in, and the plan was known in the beginning.

It is Passover, Shavuot, and Sukkot.

This is the barley harvest, the wheat harvest and the fruit harvest.

These are 3 harvests that you can experience in your own walk.

''

"Simon, Simon, behold, Satan has demanded permission to sift you like wheat; but I have prayed for you, that your faith may not fail; and you, when once you have turned again, strengthen your brothers."…

This is a person beginning a walk, but while his beginning was terrible, his end was great.

You die daily in the barley harvest of Passover, and after you have walked in Passover, you are given over to Satan for sifting as wheat is sifted for the wheat harvest, and this is a harvest within yourself.

There are dry spells, and much worse than that.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:08 PM

124 posts, read 118,600 times
Oh there will be much worse, you have no idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity