Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 07:14 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,225,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I don't believe she used that term, O'Donald did.
Reading is fundamental.

Quote:
ROSIE PEREZ: I think it was probably difficult for her to leave, you know? You know, it doesn't mean that she doesn't believe anymore because she's moved on to a different faith. Just like me. People keep asking if I'm an atheist just because I say I'm a recovering Catholic. No. I just, I just decided to leave. And I still believe. I pray every day. My whole family prays. You know? It's just -- it's a difficult decision she has made. It's big.
From YOUR original link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 07:58 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,933,489 times
She did not even get her facts wrong, she just did not mention all elements involved. The remark was generally true, with a couple of exceptions,

Old 10-26-2014, 12:49 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,255,036 times
Quote:
I think you have your bible belt on a tad too tight!

Old 10-26-2014, 08:30 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,352,642 times
IN practical terms the gay angle is moot in the Catholic Church. It is basically like the US Army use to be, it is OK to be gay but don't flaunt it.

In know of Catholic Churches in Hollywood Ca where most of the altar servers, cantors, etc are gay men.

I also see gay and lesbian folks in my parish and no one raises an eyebrow. And in 15 years in this parish I have never heard the priests say a single homophobic word.

But, some lesbians and gays want formal acceptance from the church.

The homophobes are basically the hard core Sola Scriptura folks.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:13 PM

12,392 posts, read 8,170,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
IN practical terms the gay angle is moot in the Catholic Church. It is basically like the US Army use to be, it is OK to be gay but don't flaunt it.
Not quite a soldier of that period could have an ongoing sexual relationship as long as he kept it secret where as they Christian to stay in good standing might as well be a Catholic priest or nun because there is no biblical outlet for sexual activity as the Catholic church teaches.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:43 PM

28,103 posts, read 29,997,160 times
Quote:
Saying you are a "recovering Catholic" is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
No it isn't.
I don't always agree with you, janelle, but in this case I do. To say that you're a "recovering Catholic" (or a "recovering any-other-religion") is really an insult. It implies that the religion is an illness. It's not. It's a way of viewing your relationship with God and worshipping Him. It may not be my way, but it's not an illness.

Last edited by Katzpur; 10-26-2014 at 08:52 PM..

Old 10-27-2014, 11:15 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,933,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
No it isn't.
I'd have to say that "recovering Catholic" is a bash, however justified by the actions and teachings of that church.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:40 AM

2,572 posts, read 4,255,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I'd have to say that "recovering Catholic" is a bash, however justified by the actions and teachings of that church.
I think "recovering Catholic" is a bash if you are the one saying it and are not Catholic. It's like I can say I'm a dumb Okie and none of my friends and family would be offended, but if one of those obnoxious Texans said that, then there would be fist a flying!

Old 11-07-2014, 11:04 AM

225 posts, read 162,202 times
Quote:
=janelle144;37007187]Liberal Diversity: All Four 'View' Hosts Bash Catholic Church

Some good replies after the video.
NO surprise here

These folks one and all what to tell God HOW to be God.

They are of the mind{less} set holding views that they DO know more; DO know better than God;and than God's One Church and Faith.

They presume and ASSUME a right to tell God how He WILL save them.

It is certainly easier to hold these positions than to actually change one's chosen life style, and conform to the Commandments.

One ought not take such pontiffication attempts seriously. I have little doubt that even they felt they were not right, and actually justified in there attacks, on what they don't really even understand.

God Bless,
Patrick

Old 11-08-2014, 10:20 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,599,441 times
of all the religions this one seemss to fit best to me. I like how it represents how a group of humans tend to work over all. I do think it needs to change, maybe even have am american catholic church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity