Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Christianity a form of Judaism?
Yes, it is a form of Judaism that believes Jesus is the Messiah 9 34.62%
Actually, Modern Judaism branched off of early Christianity 0 0%
No, but we're grafted into the Jewish olive tree 4 15.38%
No, Christianity is a completely separate religion but with similar historical roots 9 34.62%
Other (please elaborate in your reply) 4 15.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 08:08 PM

938 posts, read 1,515,379 times

Advertisements

This poll is for Christians, Messianic Jews, Nazarenes, and anyone who calls themselves followers of Jesus: Do you believe that Christianity is a form of Judaism?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 11:14 PM

23,157 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Christianity was a legal sect of Judaism for over 100 years, nobody could practice an unauthorized religion in those days.

But that was then, now it's a different religion, but in the beginning it was only converts to Judaism where gentiles began filling synagogues.

The burning of the great synagogue in 135 A.D. was blamed on Christians, and Rome took this chance to separate gentiles from Jews. The Jews were also wanting to separate, not the Messianic Jews of course, the orthodox wanted them out and this is in Jewish and Roman records.

Rome was becoming Christian, it wouldn't be long before Rome looked to Jerusalem as the seat of power in the world, and they knew it would not be long before the law and power would go out from Jerusalem.

Rome had to separate the two or lose their kingdom.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:51 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,235,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
This poll is for Christians, Messianic Jews, Nazarenes, and anyone who calls themselves followers of Jesus: Do you believe that Christianity is a form of Judaism?

No. That's why Paul warned against following the teachings of the "judaizers".

And Yes. Christians are in-grafted branches of Israel. Adopted sons through faith in the Messiah.

Jew and Christian are just labels. There is only ONE people of God. One Israel.

The Bible explains it all.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:14 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
Not really.

Judaism is different than the worship of God that existed prior to Jesus day. Christianity is a continuation of the worship of God that started long before Abraham. The worshipers of God were not known by the later term Judaism, just as Christians were not known as such when they first formed.

Israel was called out of Egypt, followers of Christ were called out of the false worship being carried on by the Jewish priesthood and Nation and later out of all Nations. God's people have always been God's people and now they are not simply identified as a National group or a family group. God no longer shows such favor.

You either worship God as He directs or you don't. Judaism does not. Unfortunately just as in the 1st century AD, the Jews were divided into many sect, so to is Christianity today and God once again is calling His people out and into association together. Some just don't learn from history or from Jesus.

Last edited by expatCA; 11-03-2014 at 06:23 AM..

Old 11-03-2014, 06:18 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Branches were broken off, so Gentiles could be grafted in and feed of the sap provided by the root (God). But no, they did not become Jews, but remains Gentiles, and the Bible refers to them as Gentiles, and they were not required to follow Jewish customs like circumcision. Paul talks about this in Galatians 3.

Also, Galatians 5:2 Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:32 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times
what expatCA says is right. The olive tree allegorized by St. Paul in Romans is not Judaism.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:17 PM

938 posts, read 1,515,379 times
Okay, I'm pleased to see that people believe Christianity and Judaism are completely different religions. I've heard many Christians think that, because they've read the Old Testament, they understand Judaism.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:54 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
The Christian religion follows the Jewish religion. That is why it is called the Christian-Judeo religion. We also follow the OT. Jews do not follow the NT though.

Old 11-04-2014, 12:40 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,245,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
The Christian religion follows the Jewish religion. That is why it is called the Christian-Judeo religion. We also follow the OT. Jews do not follow the NT though.
Most people say "Judeo-Christian", as in "America is a "Judeo-Christian" nation. I've never seen anyone flip it as you did. Not that I care ... just saying I've never seen anyone put "Christian" before "Judeo" until now.

I would not begin to attempt to answer the original post because both Christianity and Judaism have numerous sects and I've never met two people who agree on everything.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:03 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
We are Christian but celebrate Jewish Holidays and even belong to a Jewish community group. Its not because we are on the fence but feel Jesus was Jewish and we should honor him in this way.

So I can say Is Christianity A Form Of Judaism.... Maybe, maybe not but if you look at Jesus, I think you will find he might have lit a Menorah or celebrated Passover before any holidays we consider thinking/celebrating him with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity