Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 06:10 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,004,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Every once in a while- a long while- I like going to an old Catholic church with stained-glass windows etc to light candles.

I am not coming home to Rome. The ritual and mystery is something comforting in that it reminds me of happier times.

They weren't happier because of the Church. They were happier because I was around 10 years old.

What I remember most from catechism is "God made us to be happy with him in Heaven". Jeez, who knew.

I'm not sure how much of that stuff I actually believed back then, but the church had a really pretty ceiling.

I'm an atheist who likes church buildings, I guess.
I am a little like you. I still love to see an old Catholic type church for one reason - to take pictures of. Other than that, they are great places to sleep in during lunch break. I still also hum an old Gospel tune now and again because I a musician and just love good music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 06:12 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
The Scriptures tell us that "God is working all together for GOOD." That is what He did for Job as well. And Job even spoke of the resurrection. Anyone who lost their life acquainted with Job in the story will be resurrected to life, immortality and incorruption. Is that so bad? Cannot God do with His creation that which He deems necessary?
Solomon said

Keep your heart with all diligence, for out of it are the issues of life.

What do you think Solomon would have said to Job, if Job had asked him why is all this bad s##t is
happening to me ?.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:28 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Solomon said

Keep your heart with all diligence, for out of it are the issues of life.

What do you think Solomon would have said to Job, if Job had asked him why is all this bad s##t is
happening to me ?.
He would have said "Cut the baby in half and give one half to your wife and keep the other half.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
In other words, let us wipe out everything a man loves to prove whose righteous?
Murdering
, every family member for the benefit of one is contrary to that of the cross:

"Love lays its life down for that of another."
And you believe God can't do with His creation that which He deems best?

Do you believe God owes you a perfect life? If so, why?

Do you think that just having existence is a supremely wonderful blessing?

Do you think if you have a minute before you die that you have every reason to curse God for dying?

Why do you think Job thought it was okay, after God took everything, that he blessed God and said, "Naked I came into this world and naked I will leave"? If he thought like you, do you think he would have said that?

Why you you believe only one was benefited?

Do you believe one is the loneliest number a man can do?

Old 11-14-2014, 06:43 PM

Quote:
He would have said "Cut the baby in half and give one half to your wife and keep the other half.
I believe he would have said, you let your guard down Job and invited the issue into it, which created the bad s##t you are now experiencing.

For the thing which "I" greatly feared is come upon me, and that which "I" was afraid of is come unto me. Job 3:25.

God is not putting us through the mill to test us. He is an ever present help abundantly available to us in time of trouble.

Yet man is born to trouble as surely as sparks fly upward. Job 5:7
............... Why is he ? , because he never learns to guard is heart where ALL issues of life proceed from.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
And you believe God can't do with His creation that which He deems best?

Do you believe God owes you a perfect life? If so, why?

Do you think that just having existence is a supremely wonderful blessing?

Do you think if you have a minute before you die that you have every reason to curse God for dying?

Why do you think Job thought it was okay, after God took everything, that he blessed God and said, "Naked I came into this world and naked I will leave"? If he thought like you, do you think he would have said that?

Why you you believe only one was benefited?

Do you believe one is the loneliest number a man can do?
And you believe God can't do with His creation that which He deems best? . God became man and dwelt within him.

Do you believe God owes you a perfect life? If so, why? God owes me nothing and i owe him nothing

Do you think that just having existence is a supremely wonderful blessing?. He came that we might have life more abundantly not just a mere existence.

Do you think if you have a minute before you die that you have every reason to curse God for dying? Why would i when i know that all that is my life consists of all that came from my own heart?.

Why do you think Job thought it was okay, after God took everything, that he blessed God and said, "Naked I came into this world and naked I will leave"? If he thought like you, do you think he would have said that? I can understand Job thinking it was okay by wrongly believing the Lord gives and the Lord takes away, we all know who Jesus said who came to steal kill and destroy.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:13 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Every once in a while- a long while- I like going to an old Catholic church with stained-glass windows etc to light candles.

I'm an atheist who likes church buildings, I guess.
Exactly! You are not a newbie Atheist anymore. Some religion can be comforting and does not have to be ALL true. You will soon find out that faith can coexist with reason. Thomas Aquinas knew this in the 13th century.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
And you believe God can't do with His creation that which He deems best? . God became man and dwelt within him.

Do you believe God owes you a perfect life? If so, why? God owes me nothing and i owe him nothing

Do you think that just having existence is a supremely wonderful blessing?. He came that we might have life more abundantly not just a mere existence.

Do you think if you have a minute before you die that you have every reason to curse God for dying? Why would i when i know that all that is my life consists of all that came from my own heart?.

Why do you think Job thought it was okay, after God took everything, that he blessed God and said, "Naked I came into this world and naked I will leave"? If he thought like you, do you think he would have said that? I can understand Job thinking it was okay by wrongly believing the Lord gives and the Lord takes away, we all know who Jesus said who came to steal kill and destroy.
And that which you wrote is exactly what Job's friends would have said and basically did say. And what was God's verdict? Job spoke of me what is the truth and Job's friends spoke what is not true.

Old 11-14-2014, 08:02 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
From the looks of it, he has done a terrible job and seems to have a sick sense of humor as well as being a egotistical prick. That is, if one believes such a being exists.
Why are you so angry at a god that doesn't exist?

Old 11-14-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Why are you so angry at a god that doesn't exist?
Exactly. I think deep down inside they really do know He exists. Why else would they take all their time and energy fighting something that doesn't exist? If God really was a faery tale, we would think they were nuts for being so upset with a comic book character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity