Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 07:49 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,763,498 times

Advertisements

This article caught my eye because I have always thought of Jesus as a cool, carefree hippy type of dude. I have no idea why, but that is the image I have of him. The kind of guy who will chill and have some wine with anyone and not judge them. If he were alive today I can picture him listening to the Grateful Dead and laughing with friends. I can picture him feeding the homeless instead of mocking them.

Then I read what people who have actually read the entire Bible (unlike me) say about how Jesus was in the Bible and it seems that he was not the guy I have always thought him to me. I like to think though that if the Bible paints Jesus as anything other than a loving and kind soul then the Bible is wrong...or am I?

Jesus Didn't Care About Correct Doctrine, and Neither Should We*|*Mick Mooney
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 09:55 PM

33,331 posts, read 26,541,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
This article caught my eye because I have always thought of Jesus as a cool, carefree hippy type of dude. I have no idea why, but that is the image I have of him. The kind of guy who will chill and have some wine with anyone and not judge them. If he were alive today I can picture him listening to the Grateful Dead and laughing with friends. I can picture him feeding the homeless instead of mocking them.

Then I read what people who have actually read the entire Bible (unlike me) say about how Jesus was in the Bible and it seems that he was not the guy I have always thought him to me. I like to think though that if the Bible paints Jesus as anything other than a loving and kind soul then the Bible is wrong...or am I?

Regardless of your perception of Jesus, He was not a hippie. He was, and is, the God-Man, eternal and infinite God and true humanity in one Person. The name given to that doctrine by the way is 'the hypostatic union of Jesus Christ.'

Jesus Christ is both the Lamb of God and the Lion of Judah. At His first advent He came to provide salvation and to offer the kingdom to Israel, which they rejected. At His second advent He will come to judge and to establish His Millennial kingdom upon the earth.

The author of that article is wrong in saying that correct doctrine is not important. Jesus, among other things, was a teacher and cared very much about correct doctrine as did the apostles who taught sound doctrine as they received it from Jesus and recorded it in the New Testament Scriptures. Jesus taught the apostles both during His public ministry and after His ascension into heaven, by way of the Holy Spirit. Shortly before His crucifixion Jesus told His disciples that He had many more things to say to them but that they could not bear it at that time. Therefore He sent the Holy Spirit after His ascension who guided them to all the truth (John 16:12-15).

Doctrine refers to teaching, to instruction. What did the apostles say about correct doctrine? Here are a few verses.
1 Tim. 6:2 Those who have believers as their masters must not be disrespectful to them because they are brethren, but must serve them all the more, because those who partake of the benefit are believers and beloved. Teach and preach these principles. 3] If anyone advocates a different doctrine and does not agree with sound words, those of our Lord Jesus Christ, and with the doctrine conforming to godliness, 4] he is conceited and understands nothing; but he has a morbid interest in controversial questions and disputes about words, out of which arise envy, strife, abusive language, evil suspicions, 5] and constant friction between men of depraved mind and deprived of the truth, who suppose that godliness is a means of gain.

Titus 1:7 For the overseer must be above reproach as God's steward, not self-willed, not quick-tempered, not addicted to wine, not pugnacious, not fond of sordid gain, 8] but hospitable, loving what is good, sensible, just, devout, self-controlled, 9] holding fast the faithful word which is in accordance with the teaching, so that he will be able both to exhort in sound doctrine and to refute those who contradict. 10] For there are many rebellious men, empty talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, 11] who must be silenced because they are upsetting whole families, teaching things they should not teach for the sake of sordid gain.

Titus 2:1 But as for you, speak the things which are fitting for sound doctrine.

2 Tim. 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires, 4] and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths.

Believers are to stand firm in correct doctrine.
2 Tim. 1:13 Retain the standard of sound words which you have heard from me, in the faith and love which are in Christ Jesus. 14] Guard, through the Holy Spirit who dwells in us, the treasure which has been entrusted to you.

1 Tim. 4:6 In pointing out these things to the brethren, you will be a good servant of Christ Jesus, constantly nourished on the words of the faith and of the sound doctrine which you have been following.

Yes, Jesus and the apostles cared very much about correct and sound doctrine/teaching.

Here is a correct doctrine you had better care about. The gospel message.

The principle of the gospel.

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

The mechanics of the gospel.

1 Cor. 15:3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4] and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,

Having correct doctrine and loving relationships need not, and should not be mutually exclusive things. Only by means of correct doctrine can the believer stand firm in the spiritual warfare in which he is a part as a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ.
Ephesians 6:10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. 11] Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil. 12] For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places. 13] Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. 14] Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15] and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace 16] in addition to all, taking up the shield of faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17] and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God,
Doctrine, transferred from the Bible and inculcated into the soul of the believer, and applied to the circumstances of life is what produces spiritual growth and an increased capacity to love both God and man.

Last edited by Michael Way; 11-20-2014 at 11:10 PM..

Old 11-20-2014, 10:36 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,407,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Regardless of your perception of Jesus, He was not a hippie.
Do you believe hippies are unloving, unintelligent or don't have a purpose in life?
Personally, I think he was a little-bit country; and a whole lot of ROCK 'n ROLL.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:18 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,443,738 times
Quote:

To an extent you are correct, though he probably would not listen to the Grateful Dead, but would listen to and enjoy music.

However he did judge those who deserved it.

Matthew 3:7 7 But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?

If they changed the judgement changed.

Christ showed how loving and merciful he and his father are, "you have seen me you have seen my father", but he also showed that they will judge those who ignore their commands.

Those who paint another picture of Jesus or his Father, are elevating themselves and trying to turn people away from Jesus and his Father.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:24 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,859,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Regardless of your perception of Jesus, He was not a hippie. He was, and is, the God-Man, eternal and infinite God and true humanity in one Person. The name given to that doctrine by the way is 'the hypostatic union of Jesus Christ.'

Jesus Christ is both the Lamb of God and the Lion of Judah. At His first advent He came to provide salvation and to offer the kingdom to Israel, which they rejected. At His second advent He will come to judge and to establish His Millennial kingdom upon the earth.

The author of that article is wrong in saying that correct doctrine is not important. Jesus, among other things, was a teacher and cared very much about correct doctrine as did the apostles who taught sound doctrine as they received it from Jesus and recorded it in the New Testament Scriptures. Jesus taught the apostles both during His public ministry and after His ascension into heaven, by way of the Holy Spirit. Shortly before His crucifixion Jesus told His disciples that He had many more things to say to them but that they could not bear it at that time. Therefore He sent the Holy Spirit after His ascension who guided them to all the truth (John 16:12-15).

Doctrine refers to teaching, to instruction. What did the apostles say about correct doctrine? Here are a few verses.
1 Tim. 6:2 Those who have believers as their masters must not be disrespectful to them because they are brethren, but must serve them all the more, because those who partake of the benefit are believers and beloved. Teach and preach these principles. 3] If anyone advocates a different doctrine and does not agree with sound words, those of our Lord Jesus Christ, and with the doctrine conforming to godliness, 4] he is conceited and understands nothing; but he has a morbid interest in controversial questions and disputes about words, out of which arise envy, strife, abusive language, evil suspicions, 5] and constant friction between men of depraved mind and deprived of the truth, who suppose that godliness is a means of gain.

Titus 1:7 For the overseer must be above reproach as God's steward, not self-willed, not quick-tempered, not addicted to wine, not pugnacious, not fond of sordid gain, 8] but hospitable, loving what is good, sensible, just, devout, self-controlled, 9] holding fast the faithful word which is in accordance with the teaching, so that he will be able both to exhort in sound doctrine and to refute those who contradict. 10] For there are many rebellious men, empty talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, 11] who must be silenced because they are upsetting whole families, teaching things they should not teach for the sake of sordid gain.

Titus 2:1 But as for you, speak the things which are fitting for sound doctrine.

2 Tim. 4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires, 4] and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths.

Believers are to stand firm in correct doctrine.
2 Tim. 1:13 Retain the standard of sound words which you have heard from me, in the faith and love which are in Christ Jesus. 14] Guard, through the Holy Spirit who dwells in us, the treasure which has been entrusted to you.

1 Tim. 4:6 In pointing out these things to the brethren, you will be a good servant of Christ Jesus, constantly nourished on the words of the faith and of the sound doctrine which you have been following.

Yes, Jesus and the apostles cared very much about correct and sound doctrine/teaching.

Here is a correct doctrine you had better care about. The gospel message.

The principle of the gospel.

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

The mechanics of the gospel.

1 Cor. 15:3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4] and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,

Having correct doctrine and loving relationships need not, and should not be mutually exclusive things. Only by means of correct doctrine can the believer stand firm in the spiritual warfare in which he is a part as a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ.
Ephesians 6:10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. 11] Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil. 12] For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places. 13] Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. 14] Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15] and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace 16] in addition to all, taking up the shield of faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17] and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God,
Doctrine, transferred from the Bible and inculcated into the soul of the believer, and applied to the circumstances of life is what produces spiritual growth and an increased capacity to love both God and man.
As usual, Excellent post Mike! -- I was thinking the same things, but, wasn't sure I wanted to expend the time/energy to provide such an insightful response. Far too many seem only willing to look at who they imagine God and Christ to be; and not who He has revealed Himself to be.

In truth, Jesus was very big on 'truth' and on people having a true, right understanding of God and God's ways and plan for mankind ... and we should do likewise. Calling God's ways and plan "doctrine" does not suddenly make it 'man's religion or theology' -- or something to be avoided.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Those who paint another picture of Jesus or his Father, are elevating themselves and trying to turn people away from Jesus and his Father.
How do you know that everything that is in the Bible is correct? What if the Bible paints another picture of Jesus?

Old 11-21-2014, 02:28 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,443,738 times
Quote:
How do you know that everything that is in the Bible is correct? What if the Bible paints another picture of Jesus?
If it isn't,then any picture is false. It is not a pick and choose, it is a read and understand. Many do not read it with the proper motive or understanding.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:40 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,609,039 times
Quote:
because it's from the time when, you know, the things actually happened.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Yeah, but the Bible was written and put together by men. Who is to say that they didn't change things and we are not presented with all that there was.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:50 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,235,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Or only a few centuries later.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity