Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How often do you attend church?
More than once a week 11 17.19%
Once a week or almost every week 15 23.44%
A few times a month 6 9.38%
Every few months 0 0%
A few times a year 5 7.81%
Only for holidays like Christmas or Easter 3 4.69%
Never, except for funerals or weddings 21 32.81%
Never, even for funerals or weddings- I will never step foot in a church 3 4.69%
Other(Please specify) 0 0%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 04:32 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, that's really a tangential argument to the actual purpose of this thread, and I really don't want to take that bait. I guess what flies all over me is that some self-important person always has to twist around what was really a sincere question in order that they can make some point. And that point typically translates to be some variation of: "I practice Christianity better than you do." Forgive me if I don't get annoyed by it.
You are quite correct. I cannot stand the "my religion is better than yours concept". All religions are equal!

As per the thread tonight is a day where Catholics go to mass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 04:35 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,760,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
You are quite correct. I cannot stand the "my religion is better than yours concept". All religions are equal!

"My god has a bigger penis than your god"! Heard George Carlin say that in on of his stand up routines, and that is how some people really act, haha.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:51 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
These are the things that are passed down from generation to generation.

Ask a Frenchman how he learned, to act, think, and talk like a Frenchman. He will tell you he got it from his parents and family as well as the community where he grew up. He will say it is in his blood!

Now---------if you wanted to be a French national you could find a book and learn how to speak French, but you will never get all the nuances of what is to be a French National. For that you need the Tradition that is passed down from above. Reading how to be French from a book will not provide you everything.

It is a rather simple concept.

Hope that helps!
I guess that's why we Protestants don't buy it.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
"My god has a bigger penis than your god"! Heard George Carlin say that in on of his stand up routines, and that is how some people really act, haha.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I guess that's why we Protestants don't buy it.
I think that is the wise thing to do. Once you are out of the loop of Apostolic Succession it is not easy. I see nothing wrong with that view.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:04 PM

527 posts, read 709,005 times
1-2 times per months, on holidays and special event.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:56 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,808,992 times
24-7 We are the temple. Services, go to those to.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:26 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,274,673 times
Quote:
Another misinformed Christian.

The Catholic Church is based on the Scriptures, Oral Tradition, Apostolic Succession, and the Magisteriun of the Church. All these are infallible The Pope simply spoke to reaffirm the what the Holy Spirit had already communicated to the Church.

In Protestant Churches the revelation ended with the Apostles and ALL you have are the written words of the NT. But, Jesus said many more things that were not written but were given to the Church.

It is basically the difference between Sola Scriptura and the Apostolic Churches with Oral Sacred Tradition.
This christian is not misinformed. The church that Jesus bled and died for is based on God's words, not men's. There is no apostolic succession in God's word.

God's word never changes, nor does He. What was a sin 2000 years ago is still a sin. Man cannot undo what God has decreed. The catholic church has a history of flip flopping doctrine.

I would say you are the one who is misinformed, teaching the commandments of men rather than those of God.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:31 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,274,673 times
Quote:

It has nothing to do with my religion is better than yours.

It has everything to do with there is only ONE CHURCH, and it's not Roman Catholic. You can read about it in the New Testament. There are no Popes or heirarchy, and no teachings of men.

Old 12-09-2014, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
It has nothing to do with my religion is better than yours.

It has everything to do with there is only ONE CHURCH, and it's not Roman Catholic. You can read about it in the New Testament. There are no Popes or heirarchy, and no teachings of men.
If your church is only based on the Bible I agree. But, Sola Scriptura is a very new concept in Christianity.

The older original Christian Churches rely on the Bible, Oral Tradition, and Apostolic Succession.

Nevertheless, I don't think any church is better than another one.

I think many Christians are stuck in the modern concept that if it is not written in the NT it is not valid. They forget that in the early days of Christianity there was no NT and the word of God was spread orally and by Apostolic Succession.

Quote:
John 21:25English Standard Version (ESV)

25 Now there are also many other things that Jesus did. Were every one of them to be written, I suppose that the world itself could not contain the books that would be written.

Jesus is a whole lot more than the few words written in the NT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity