Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 09:33 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorInSpirit View Post
Fortunately, it was left in the Bible because it really wasn't too Torah or too Jewish.

Readers often mistaken James' faith without works as inferring salvation by works, but it was about the church getting out of helping the poor by voicing their faith in God's Providence to the poor without leading by example by sharing from the bounty collected after service.
Sorry, James was talking about Faith in Yeshua...What you just wrote comes from the opinion of a book author, not from James...People were obviously stating that they had Faith and that was enough...They believed the words of Yeshua, but did not do the words of Yeshua, and James was refuting that Idea...

You need to work on your logic and reason and learn how to backward engineer things...It would really help with your understanding...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2014, 10:01 AM

1,100 posts, read 796,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Sorry, James was talking about Faith in Yeshua...What you just wrote comes from the opinion of a book author, not from James...People were obviously stating that they had Faith and that was enough...They believed the words of Yeshua, but did not do the words of Yeshua, and James was refuting that Idea...

You need to work on your logic and reason and learn how to backward engineer things...It would really help with your understanding...
You are only validating my point that James was not talking about the saving faith in Jesus Christ as he was only talking about how to rightly apply that faith in God's Providence by leading by example in the Book of James.

The moment you point to a verse that speaks about the faith in Jesus Christ, you can win your case; but I can point to James 2nd chapter as referring to only the faith in God's Providence and nothing else.

Last edited by PoorInSpirit; 12-27-2014 at 10:49 AM..

Old 12-27-2014, 10:05 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
Quote:
I reckon the only way to address that point is for you to present your case of contradictions in the Bible.

Name one. Do avoid showing a link.
No. If you have read the Proverbs you would know what I am talking about. I am not interested in discussing the Bible with anyone who would not already be familiar with them.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
No. If you have read the Proverbs you would know what I am talking about. I am not interested in discussing the Bible with anyone who would not already be familiar with them.
I only ask for one example but it sounds as though you do not care to discuss it.

I have heard about contradictions in the Bible as there are internet sites set up for that expose' just as there are internet sites set up for explaining what appears to be a contradiction are not really a contradiction at all.

Not understanding the contradictions within the Book of Proverbs isn't really the point of inquiry. This was about why the Gospel of Thomas was not included in the Bible as it was because the sayings in the GOT did not line up with the sayings of truth in the NT. Asking for an example of how one book in the NT is in contradiction to another book in the NT would be called for as an example, but that is okay if you do not want to discuss it.

Old 12-27-2014, 11:51 AM

615 posts, read 726,183 times
Quote:
This was about why the Gospel of Thomas was not included in the Bible as it was because the sayings in the GOT did not line up with the sayings of truth in the NT.
The 4 NT Gospels do not line up with each other. In fact, there would be more togetherness if you had Matthew, Mark, Luke and Thomas. You can't just say, "Thomas has Gnostic themes in it, so that's how I know it doesn't represent accurate sayings of Jesus." After all, John has Gnostic themes in it.

Note: I'm not actually suggesting that we revise the canon. I'm trying to get people to understand that there's no logical reason to believe that the 4 NT Gospels represent the most accurate version of the historical Jesus. What reason is there to believe that the Jesus of John's Gospel is more accurate than the Jesus of Thomas' Gospel?

Old 12-27-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
The 4 NT Gospels do not line up with each other. In fact, there would be more togetherness if you had Matthew, Mark, Luke and Thomas. You can't just say, "Thomas has Gnostic themes in it, so that's how I know it doesn't represent accurate sayings of Jesus." After all, John has Gnostic themes in it.

Note: I'm not actually suggesting that we revise the canon. I'm trying to get people to understand that there's no logical reason to believe that the 4 NT Gospels represent the most accurate version of the historical Jesus. What reason is there to believe that the Jesus of John's Gospel is more accurate than the Jesus of Thomas' Gospel?
It was mentioned earlier but the Gospel of Thomas acknowledged that Jesus was Divine but not the Messiah. The gospel of Thomas teaches to look within oneself and obtain secret knowledge to save yourself.

Pretty sure that Matthew, Mark, & Luke would line up more with John than that farce of a "Thomas".

Old 12-27-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
It was mentioned earlier but the Gospel of Thomas acknowledged that Jesus was Divine but not the Messiah. The gospel of Thomas teaches to look within oneself and obtain secret knowledge to save yourself.

Pretty sure that Matthew, Mark, & Luke would line up more with John than that farce of a "Thomas".
You haven't given me any concrete evidence that the Gospel of Thomas is a farce.

Old 12-29-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
You haven't given me any concrete evidence that the Gospel of Thomas is a farce.
Does the Gospel of Thomas teach that Jesus was NOT the Messiah? True or False.

Does the Gospel of Thomas teach for you to save yourself by looking within for secret knowledge? True or False?

If you say that both are true and still cannot see it as a farce, then I cannot convince you.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Does the Gospel of Thomas teach that Jesus was NOT the Messiah? True or False.

Does the Gospel of Thomas teach for you to save yourself by looking within for secret knowledge? True or False?

If you say that both are true and still cannot see it as a farce, then I cannot convince you.
I think all the Gospels are made-up. I'm trying to figure out why you think the Gospel of Thomas is made-up and the Gospel of John isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity