Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 10:14 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,793,445 times

Advertisements

Jesus said while He is in the world He is the light of the world but in John 17 He says He is no longer going to be in the world. So if He is the light of the world then since He is gone the world is in darkness.

How do you read it?

John 9:5

"While I am in the world I am the light of the world."

John 17:11

"Now I am no longer in the world but they are in the world and I am coming to you."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 02:36 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,248,532 times
Why do you say/think Jesus is gone? Do you not believe He is risen and abides with us?

Old 01-08-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
Why do you say/think Jesus is gone? Do you not believe He is risen and abides with us?
I just put down what they say He said. I think He was saying that the son of man would no longer be in the world. Leaving the world in darkness. I believe the son of man is the prophet of God and that He comes back after three days in the bowels of the earth or after a period of time determined by who finds the will of God and does it.

Yes I believe Jesus arose and went back to the Father and that those who truly follow are as He was, the light of the world.

As Jesus said; "The light is with you only a little longer. Walk while you have it or darkness will come over you."

Old 01-08-2015, 10:24 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,956,852 times
Add a verse or two to the mix: Matt 5 14"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; 15nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.…

Old 01-08-2015, 12:27 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,459,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
Jesus said while He is in the world He is the light of the world but in John 17 He says He is no longer going to be in the world. So if He is the light of the world then since He is gone the world is in darkness.

How do you read it?

John 9:5

"While I am in the world I am the light of the world."

John 17:11

"Now I am no longer in the world but they are in the world and I am coming to you."
Christians are the light of the world as Nate pointed out. But they must be very visible as individuals, not in hiding as it were. T

ASV Matthew 5:14 Ye are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hid.15 Neither do men light a lamp, and put it under the bushel, but on the stand; and it shineth unto all that are in the house.16 Even so let your light shine before men; that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:31 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,372,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Christians are the light of the world as Nate pointed out. But they must be very visible as individuals, not in hiding as it were. T

ASV Matthew 5:14 Ye are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hid.15 Neither do men light a lamp, and put it under the bushel, but on the stand; and it shineth unto all that are in the house.16 Even so let your light shine before men; that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.
In the secret place you can make a lot happen...

But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

We never leave empty handed when praying for others

Old 01-08-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Add a verse or two to the mix: Matt 5 14"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; 15nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.…
Yes, those who truly follow Jesus are the light of the world. Unfortunately there are many variations of how to follow.

"Your light must shine before men so they will see your good works and glorify your heavenly Father."

Old 01-08-2015, 02:45 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,217,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
While he is with us always until the end of the age, I take parts of Revelation literally that show he is in one location at a time.

The actions that Jesus carries out in Revelations show that he is in one place at one time. He walks over and takes the scroll out of God's hand. He opens the scroll. These are actions of a God-man with a body that is in one place at one time. Does this limit him? No, he's God. There are examples also before he ascended. However, these do show that he's not standing in our living room right now.

Before anybody goes nuts, this is just my belief. You're entitled to your belief without me attacking you.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
While he is with us always until the end of the age, I take parts of Revelation literally that show he is in one location at a time.

The actions that Jesus carries out in Revelations show that he is in one place at one time. He walks over and takes the scroll out of God's hand. He opens the scroll. These are actions of a God-man with a body that is in one place at one time. Does this limit him? No, he's God. There are examples also before he ascended. However, these do show that he's not standing in our living room right now.

Before anybody goes nuts, this is just my belief. You're entitled to your belief without me attacking you.
When He said that He is with His followers even until the end of the age I believe He was saying that the truth is with the believer until the end. Since the son of man is the truth, the word of God, then this would hold true.

Matthew 28:19,20

"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,and teach them to carry out everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age."

Old 01-08-2015, 03:09 PM

1,788 posts, read 1,175,891 times
Before We are "born again", there is only darkness in Our Souls, no light.
As I've said before The True Body of Christ ~ are all those who HAVE His Father's LIGHT~ because THEY are "born again".
This is the light, that is in Our World today. You could say..it's God's unseen Hand moving in and about Us. When the "rapture" happens and God's Spirit is called back to His Son (Us/the Body of Christ)...this planet will no longer be protected by God, but will be ruled by the antichrist.

Listen to me. Jesus loves you. He nor His Father made it difficult to know them. Just repent, call out the Name of Jesus and ask Him and His Father to forgive you're sins and tell Them You'll turn from those sins and follow Them with all you're Heart and Soul. Don't let anything or anyone or anything written STOP you from KNOWING Them!

They love you, just pray to them if you don't understand. You don't need anyone else to do that. Just believe in Them, that's what counts, nothing else.

Shine now and live forever, don't wait.

Soon a false light is coming to this world and when he does, they will make him king- that's the antichrist.

Do you know how many people he has already fooled now to believe in him?- billions.

Do you Shine or do you cast shadows?
Look around you what do you see?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity