Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 03:34 PM

110 posts, read 104,107 times

Advertisements

Perhaps a better question would be: Are there certain Christian doctrines that the vast majority of Christians believe?

The answer to that question would be "Yes".

These include:

1. The divinity of Father

2. The divinity and personhood of the Holy Spirit

3. There is one God

4. Jesus the Christ was fully Human

5. Jesus the Christ was fully God

6. Jesus raised from the dead bodily

7. There is a final judgement where every person will stand before the Christ and give an account

8. Jesus paid the penalty for our sin on the cross

I'm sure there are other common doctrines. These would be held by over 90% of Christians. People who deny these fundamental doctrines would be considered apostate in the majority of Christian communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 02:53 PM

191 posts, read 516,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alt Thinker View Post
Perhaps Nicene Christian is a suitable term?
I looked up Niceness Christian and I couldn't find anywhere in their doctrine that they didn't believe in the divinity of Jesus?

Old 01-20-2015, 02:55 PM

191 posts, read 516,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I mean that you use the doctrine of divinity and trinity to define "Christian>' There are followers of Jesus ("Christians") who do not believe the doctrine. Using it to define is in error.
Are you saying that you believe Jesus was not Devine? What does your church believe then?

Old 01-20-2015, 03:01 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,126,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Ann View Post
I looked up Niceness Christian and I couldn't find anywhere in their doctrine that they didn't believe in the divinity of Jesus?
The other way around. Nicene Christians are trinitarians and believe in the divinity of Jesus, that being one of the outcomes of the Council of Nicaea.

I am assuming that you meant Nicene and not Niceness Christians, which is something else entirely.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:11 PM

874 posts, read 636,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Our church is just a small non-denominational congregation.
Good for them! They haven't been indoctrinated by the powers that be.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail Ann View Post
Are you saying that you believe Jesus was not Devine? What does your church believe then?
I believe Jesus was divine. I don't believe in the trinity.

divine

[SIZE=3]1[/SIZE]
[ diˈvīn ]

ADJECTIVE
adjective: divine

1. of, from, or like God or a god:
    "heroes with divine powers"
    synonyms: godly · angelic · seraphic · saintly · beatific · heavenly

Old 01-20-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsmith View Post
Perhaps a better question would be: Are there certain Christian doctrines that the vast majority of Christians believe?

The answer to that question would be "Yes".

These include:

1. The divinity of Father

2. The divinity and personhood of the Holy Spirit

3. There is one God

4. Jesus the Christ was fully Human

5. Jesus the Christ was fully God

6. Jesus raised from the dead bodily

7. There is a final judgement where every person will stand before the Christ and give an account

8. Jesus paid the penalty for our sin on the cross

I'm sure there are other common doctrines. These would be held by over 90% of Christians. People who deny these fundamental doctrines would be considered apostate in the majority of Christian communities.
I guess I'm in the 10%. Yes, I may be considered apostate by much of the Christian community, but that is their misunderstanding.

First of all, "doctrine" translates into man-made, church-made. So many of these things are not doctrine. They do fall under "ideas" or "perceptions" or "teachings". There are 40,000 different denominations, so we're probably not ever going to agree on doctrines.

I've bolded the ones above with which I do not agree.

Divinity means that which is "of, from, or like God or a god". God cannot be "of, from, or like" God and He is not a god. He is the God.

Nowhere in my Bible did I find "the personhood" of the Holy Spirit - if by that you mean the Holy Spirit walked around in the form of a man. It might be there, but I haven't found it.

Jesus was half human and half God having been produced by God and a human woman.

I don't believe in the trinity, so Jesus was not "all God" according to my reading of the Bible

Doctrine
" is a codification of beliefs or a body of teachings or instructions, taught principles or positions, as the essence of teachings in a given branch of knowledge or belief system. The Greek analogue is the etymology of catechism."

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctrine

codification

noun 1. the act, process, or result of arranging in a systematic form or code.

2. Law.
  1. the act, process, or result of stating the rules and principles applicable in a given legal order to one or more broad areas of life in this form of a code.
  2. the reducing of unwritten customs or case law to statutory form.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:17 PM

110 posts, read 104,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Parr View Post
I guess I'm in the 10%. Yes, I may be considered apostate by much of the Christian community, but that is their misunderstanding.

First of all, "doctrine" translates into man-made, church-made. So many of these things are not doctrine. They do fall under "ideas" or "perceptions" or "teachings". There are 40,000 different denominations, so we're probably not ever going to agree on doctrines.

I've bolded the ones above with which I do not agree.

Divinity means that which is "of, from, or like God or a god". God cannot be "of, from, or like" God and He is not a god. He is the God.

Nowhere in my Bible did I find "the personhood" of the Holy Spirit - if by that you mean the Holy Spirit walked around in the form of a man. It might be there, but I haven't found it.

Jesus was half human and half God having been produced by God and a human woman.

I don't believe in the trinity, so Jesus was not "all God" according to my reading of the Bible

Doctrine
" is a codification of beliefs or a body of teachings or instructions, taught principles or positions, as the essence of teachings in a given branch of knowledge or belief system. The Greek analogue is the etymology of catechism."

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctrine

codification

noun 1. the act, process, or result of arranging in a systematic form or code.

2. Law.
  1. the act, process, or result of stating the rules and principles applicable in a given legal order to one or more broad areas of life in this form of a code.
  2. the reducing of unwritten customs or case law to statutory form.
Doctrine simply means teaching. It is a Biblical word:

John 7:16-17 Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me. If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.

When I talk about a Christian sect's beliefs I generally use the word "dogma". A dogma can be based on a doctrine or human reason.

The Holy Spirit comforts, teaches, convicts of sin and the truth of the gospel. He also grieves when we sin. Christians are baptised in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. The Holy Spirit intercedes for us with the Father. The Holy Spirit has self awareness and self determination. He is a person as much as you or I.

Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

The Holy Ghost purchased the church of God with his own blood. Because all three members of the God head are one God they can and do all take credit for what is done by God. There is only one God.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Doctrine simply means teaching. It is a Biblical word:

John 7:16-17 Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me. If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.

When I talk about a Christian sect's beliefs I generally use the word "dogma". A dogma can be based on a doctrine or human reason.
I'm sorry. I can't agree with you here. Doctrine means what it means. That is why we have dictionaries so that we may know the meanings of words. I don't think there are "Biblical words". The KJV of the Bible is in English. The words are English. The words mean what English words mean. There is a lot more to "doctrine" than "teaching"

Yes, the collective teachings of the doctrines of any church is its dogma.

This is a really good article on the Nicene Creed, why it came about and how it was adopted by the church to make the trinity work.

Nicene Creed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The Holy Spirit comforts, teaches, convicts of sin and the truth of the gospel. He also grieves when we sin. Christians are baptised in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost. The Holy Spirit intercedes for us with the Father. The Holy Spirit has self awareness and self determination. He is a person as much as you or I.

Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

The Holy Ghost purchased the church of God with his own blood. Because all three members of the God head are one God they can and do all take credit for what is done by God. There is only one God.
Again, I'm sorry to disagree. The Holy Spirit is the conduit between man and God. I just don't see how or why you call the Holy Spirit "a person as much as you or I". Do you think Jesus is "a person as much as you or I"? Do you think God is "a person much as you or I"? How and when did the Holy Ghost purchase he church of God with his own blood? I didn't find that in the Bible.

As for Acts 20:28: you've pulled one line out of an entire chapter in an entire book in an entire collection of books. That rarely gives you a clear picture. Paul had called the disciples of Jesus teachings together right before Paul was about to leave them. He said they would not see him again. He was telling them to remember the job they had to do for Jesus and for God.

Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves [disciples of Jesus], and to all the flock [people you will be teaching about Jesus and his word], over the which the Holy Ghost [through God and your connection to God and all things of God], hath made you overseers [teachers, examples] to feed the church of God [God's "church" the teachings of Jesus], which he [Jesus] hath purchased with his own blood [so that you and others may have everlasting life].

That is how I read Acts 20:28. I really don't see anything here or in any other passage I read that states or even indicates that the Holy Ghost shed his blood and died on the cross for our sins. So, I must disagree with you.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:22 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ella Parr View Post
I believe Jesus was divine. I don't believe in the trinity.

divine
adjective: divine

*of, from, or like God, or a god:
synonyms:
godly
angelic
saintly
heavenly
I am hesitant about using the phrase 'divine' because it seems to mean totally different things to different people.

There is one God to be worshiped; there is also a god of this world.

Jesus of Nazareth, is the Christ, who died for our sins, and who rose again to be the Head of Ecclesia. He is my brother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity