Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 08:21 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,164,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT897 View Post
Well he knew it was a hoax. After all, he started the hoax. But people have made a religion out of it and they will not accept scientific facts that disagree with their religion.
Pwned!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2015, 02:49 AM

162 posts, read 113,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NT Fellowship View Post
I was aware that Newton would have been considered 'a heretic' to perhaps most definitions of traditional Christianity, but my point was that he believed the Bible and not a pagan version of creation. In using the examples given, I was not stating I agreed with them 100%, nor even that I expect to see them in heaven. Simply, that they had a Biblically oriented faith, rejected pagan theories of science and creation, and because they looked to the Bible to define life, were able to have great insights which helped establish scientific foundations.
I'll burn this truth down a little more...
The book of Leviticus teaches the Jews many secrets of hygiene that maintain good health. Digging latrines, instead of 'going' in the middle of the street, washing hands in running water, etc. were all good health insights that the LORD God gave. While Christians are not under Old Testament law, it would be foolish to ignore these scientific/medical laws that God gave. They make a lot of sense, and keep sickness down.
In observing the teachings of the Bible--even if it doesn't get you to heaven--wisdom can be gleaned.
But all the better if someone embraces the great salvation that Christ died to offer you, and follow Him with all your heart, soul, mind and strength!
"Pagan" views of creation I presume refer to Darwin's and Wallace's ideas which would make your argument rather anachronistic. What in fact was the pagan version of creation in which he did not believe? Before Bishop Ussher dated creation, Newton had performed similar calculations with similar results, at least demonstrating the "rubbish in, rubbish out" axiom.

Leviticus teaches us to wash our hands, in the same way that Deuteronomy teaches us to slay suckling babes of conquered tribes. Why only pick on the positive (by XXI century standards) when lauding the bible as a guide to life? If you cherry pick from almost any book, there are usually some good and bad points to be found.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:44 PM

299 posts, read 263,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin R View Post
If you cherry pick from almost any book, there are usually some good and bad points to be found.
It seems to be a popular term here..."cherry pick."
Have you ever picked cherries?
I have. It takes a lot of work, but the reward is great!
That sweet, juicy fruit is packed full of vitamins and sweetness. Even pie cherries are worth the effort!
Now then, to get real.
God's orders to Israel are not the same as His orders today under Jesus Christ.
Israel had a physical covenant. Physical land. Physical circumcision. Physical sacrifices. Etc.
All of those were a "shadow" of things to come; which were fulfilled in Jesus Christ.
That is explained well throughout the New Testament.
But if you reject Genesis 1, you won't be able to understand Matthew 1, John 3:16, or any other New Testament passage.
This manure-kicking by those who reject the truth of Jesus Christ can "diss" me all day. But at the end of life (whether they are old or young, God knows their lifespans), they will have to answer Him.
May the Lord help all mockers on this board to bow the knee to Jesus Christ in this life, before they must face Him in judgment.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:58 AM

162 posts, read 113,125 times
So is the god that ordered mass homicide in the flood, Sodom and Gomorah, the Egyptian first born, the Amelakites etc. not the same god that those of the Abrahamic religions still worhip today? Is he not the same god that will supposedly kill all but Christian, Jews or Muslims (depending on one's particular faith) plus all the rest in the end times? I am not mocking, manure kicking or dissing those of any faith, but pointing out logical discrepancies that are in the Bible, Torah or Koran.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:30 AM

299 posts, read 263,875 times
Big difference between the Koran and Bible (the Torah without commentary would be the same as the first 5 books of the Bible).
I'd be glad to address this in another thread.
This thread was begun to introduce thought about the 2 presentations on page 1...

Old 01-29-2015, 10:16 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NT Fellowship View Post
This thread was begun to introduce thought about the 2 presentations on page 1...
In that case you might want to stick to the topic and stop using the thread as your own, personal pulpit.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 01-29-2015 at 10:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity