Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 07:25 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,975,812 times

Advertisements

If the synopsis provided by the OP bore any resemblance to Christianity he might have a point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 07:40 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,722,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
This certain shouldn't surprise many of you, but I was reminded of this when I decided that I wanted to preview a movie that I thought my children would possibly see. My wife and I sat there and watched the movie, just completely shocked at the blatant anti-Christ subliminal message. That movie, believe it or not, was the Lego Movie. Immediately the plot of the movie became evident that this was one of those good vs. evil movie, but this one had a subtle twist to it. The evil one was called "Lord Business", a ruler who designed everything that existed in the Lego universe, who created a set of instructions for everyone living there to follow and he was planning on destroying the world. Sound familiar? It should. There are many other things that were evident in the movie, but this isn't a movie review.

This is to point out the clear and very strategic plan to influence young children to see Christianity as evil. We even see it in our school system where many anti-Christian philosophies and ideas are adopted and Christian's ones are not. I am curious how other parents on here guard their kids against these things and what your overall perception of how the world tries to influence the youth.
Justtitans, nothing good comes out of Hollywood !! Especially the things concerning our Lord ! It will always have a evil twist to the truth !!

And yes, "This is to point out the clear and very strategic plan to influence young children to see Christianity as evil."

Satan has always used the strategy of desensitizing people, children as a tool in this world against God's truth !! He is in no hurry to get those he can deceived !!

Old 01-12-2015, 09:15 AM

350 posts, read 572,044 times
I saw this movie, and didn't get anywhere close to the same message you did. To me, Lord Business represented corporate America, which is often ridiculed as trying to push consumerism down our throats by telling us what music to listen to, what clothes to buy, what food to eat, etc. Lord Business represented the epitomy of what's evil about big corporations and the ways they try to "brainwash" us as consumers (which anyone with half a clue can resist and make sound choices on their own). The lead character, for example, wanted so badly to fit in that he cheerfully accepted all of the marketing and did whatever commercials told him to do. Eventually he learns to break out of the mold and think independently, even though he doesn't know how or necessarily want to at first. He's identified as the "Special" or chosen one destined to save the world from Lord Business. It's a typical hero story with a goofy twist, but just as God calls us to be separate from the world and accept Christ so that we may live for God, I guess you could apply that mindset to the hero in this movie stepping out of his comfort zone to resist evil and consumerism. This is kind of a stretch, but I'd argue your initial impression of the movie was reading way too into things as well.

If anything, I think the message was positive as it showed kids that it's OK to have your own opinion and to think outside the box. You don't need to be like everyone else to be accepted. As a Christian child, I think this is absolutely a good message as it shows us we don't need to do what everyone else does (i.e., the world) to feel good about ourselves. We can choose to be different (i.e., live for God) and still be happy and fulfilled. The worldly ways of Lord Business ultimately are fruitless and evil, whereas independent thought and being a unique person are good and righteous.

SPOILER FOR THOSE WHO DO WANT TO SEE THE MOVIE:

In the end, it's ultimately revealed that Lord Business is actually a kid's dad who created a huge Lego city in his basement. The kid, who we find out has been controlling the Lego figures this entire time, created Lord Business as a representation of his dad who he thought was a bad parent for not spending time with him or being fun. His dad was so concerned about order and having all the Lego pieces in their place, that he forgot how to just be a kid and have fun with Lego, which are a toy after all. The story of destroying the world was imagined by the child, who, as children usually do, created a story to go along with his play. Once the dad sees his son having so much fun with the Lego city, and finds creative ways to use the Legos that aren't confined to his stingy rules, he gives up being such a cold jerk and finally just has fun for once with his child, who's been feeling neglected by his workaholic and strict dad. His dad isn't the anti-Christ or a representation of an evil, angry God. He was just a busy guy who forgot how just let loose and use his imagination. His son resented him for it and decided to work out his issues by playing with the Legos. How is this a bad message for kids?

Last edited by Dopefish; 01-12-2015 at 09:25 AM..

Old 01-12-2015, 09:17 AM

"Lord Business represented the epitomy of what's evil about big corporations and they ways they try to "brainwash" us as consumers" Yes, I think that is the point the OP is making: the Christian message is being attacked here.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:18 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,864,059 times
Time for history to repeat itself. Roots of the Crusades Video - Crusades - HISTORY.com

Old 01-12-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
"Lord Business represented the epitomy of what's evil about big corporations and they ways they try to "brainwash" us as consumers" Yes, I think that is the point the OP is making: the Christian message is being attacked here.
So the OP is arguing that Lord Business is supposed to represent God, and that God brainwashes us into believing him? How is that a good thing?

Lord Business, from almost the outset of the movie, is identified as a bad person who wants to control the world. He pushes a shallow, vapid agenda and delights in people falling into his evil trap. If anything, Lord Business represents Satan or the world, which pushes temporary distractions and desires us to think like everyone else and never consider there's more out there than what we see on TV or hear on the radio.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:46 AM

530 posts, read 910,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
This certain shouldn't surprise many of you, but I was reminded of this when I decided that I wanted to preview a movie that I thought my children would possibly see. My wife and I sat there and watched the movie, just completely shocked at the blatant anti-Christ subliminal message. That movie, believe it or not, was the Lego Movie. Immediately the plot of the movie became evident that this was one of those good vs. evil movie, but this one had a subtle twist to it. The evil one was called "Lord Business", a ruler who designed everything that existed in the Lego universe, who created a set of instructions for everyone living there to follow and he was planning on destroying the world. Sound familiar? It should. There are many other things that were evident in the movie, but this isn't a movie review.

This is to point out the clear and very strategic plan to influence young children to see Christianity as evil. We even see it in our school system where many anti-Christian philosophies and ideas are adopted and Christian's ones are not. I am curious how other parents on here guard their kids against these things and what your overall perception of how the world tries to influence the youth.

Lego Movie...wow. Thanks. Good looking out! It is much appreciated!

Old 01-12-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archmage View Post
So the OP is arguing that Lord Business is supposed to represent God, and that God brainwashes us into believing him? How is that a good thing?

Lord Business, from almost the outset of the movie, is identified as a bad person who wants to control the world. He pushes a shallow, vapid agenda and delights in people falling into his evil trap. If anything, Lord Business represents Satan or the world, which pushes temporary distractions and desires us to think like everyone else and never consider there's more out there than what we see on TV or hear on the radio.
Well, yes. The movie presents brainwashing as a BAD thing. Don't you see how that is attacking Christian principles?

Old 01-12-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Well, yes. The movie presents brainwashing as a BAD thing. Don't you see how that is attacking Christian principles?
Ok, I may be a bit dense, but I'm thinking you must just be being facetious now.

But in all seriousness: Yes, brainwashing is bad! I don't believe that God brainwashes anybody. I do believe he gives us free will to follow and love him, and we choose to accept/reject the gift of Christ's death and subsequent resurrection as atonement for our sins. We choose, through the power of the Holy Spirit, to obey God's commandments as re-iterated by Jesus in the New Testament: 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'

A loving relationship with God isn't a result of brainwashing. Although, I suspect you may not agree.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:44 AM

18,533 posts, read 9,226,696 times
To the OP:

A movie about Legos is definitely more harmful than telling your kids they might go to Hell! You are right to be concerned!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity