Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 08:31 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,324,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
So you are okay with your children defying you and talking back to you? Keeping with the context that I brought up.
Is that what happened in the movie?, that the child defied his uncaring Father and talked back to him ?. Sounds like he needed saving then,but in my opinion from the devil, there you go it does have a christian message. You do know that whenever you tell your kids not to do something it is highly probable that they will do that something. Change the angle from where you are viewing things.For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died. See how easy it is to convert something for the better ?.

I have not seen the movie and i am seeing how if my kids were still nippers i could bring a scriptural view into it. Try thinking outside of the box by using your imagination to turn that lump of clay into what you want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 08:35 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,997,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Is that what happened in the movie?, that the child defied his uncaring Father and talked back to him ?. Sounds like he needed saving then,but in my opinion from the devil, there you go it does have a christian message. You do know that whenever you tell your kids not to do something it is highly probable that they will do that something. Change the angle from where you are viewing things.For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died. See how easy it is to convert something for the better ?.

I have not seen the movie and i am seeing how if my kids were still nippers i could bring a scriptural view into it. Try thinking outside of the box by using your imagination to turn that lump of clay into what you want.
You aren't answering the questions. Yes or no, are you okay with you kids talking back to you? I'm not asking you about the movie at this point since you didn't see it. It would be unfair to make that context without you having knowledge of what I would reference.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:39 PM

Justtit, my kids eventually after i turned into the same Dad as the one depicted in the movie, watched ninja turtles, power rangers, Pokemon and all the other crap considered demonic by most christians, turned out to be pretty good kids and both doing very well in life.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Justtit, my kids eventually after i turned into the same Dad as the one depicted in the movie, watched ninja turtles, power rangers, Pokemon and all the other crap considered demonic by most christians, turned out to be pretty good kids and both doing very well in life.
ok

Old 01-12-2015, 08:46 PM

Quote:
You aren't answering the questions. Yes or no, are you okay with you kids talking back to you? I'm not asking you about the movie at this point since you didn't see it. It would be unfair to make that context without you having knowledge of what I would reference.
We are talking about the movie and whether it is how you say, of the devil, did the kid behave defiantly and talk back to the Father in the movie ?. Yes or no. If no then you do not have an argument, i mean was it total rebellion or kids being kids?. Your kids will not turn into devils because they have seen a movie that a kid disobeys his Father. Let me tell you this too, i know someone who was so strict with his kids that the one he was most strict with got up to all sorts of things and he would never believe it, the others were listening to secular music and watching movies he did not approve of too.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
We are talking about the movie and whether it is how you say, of the devil, did the kid behave defiantly and talk back to the Father in the movie ?. Yes or no. If no then you do not have an argument, i mean was it total rebellion or kids being kids?. Your kids will not turn into devils because they have seen a movie that a kid disobeys his Father. Let me tell you this too, i know someone who was so strict with his kids that the one he was most strict with got up to all sorts of things and he would never believe it, the others were listening to secular music and watching movies he did not approve of too.
ok

Old 01-12-2015, 09:02 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,776,612 times
Quote:
So you believe it was okay for the child to defy his father's constant request to leave his stuff alone? It was okay for him to challenge the authority of his father? To define something that wasn't his nor something he himself created? Is that the message that kids should get from it?
First:
It IS ok for kids to sometimes defy their parents!

When parents' requests are unsafe, immoral, or unethical, yes, it is absolutely acceptable for the kids to do the opposite.

Second:
I know hundreds of families who raised children in very balanced Christian households. They allowed secular movies, toys, etc. Kids are pretty normal. Good, solid families.

I know 2 families who raised children in very strict Christian households. Christian only toys. Restricted TV shows. Saw evil everywhere.

The first family had 3 children. Homeschooled. LIved a very sheltered life. The oldest left for college, dropped out after 1 semester, and never returned home. The middle daughter left for college and came back pregnant. The youngest never went to college. He is in prison for drug related crimes.

The second family had 2 children. Public schools, but very regimented home lives. Son joined the Army, served, went to college on the GI bill, got married, and had 3 kids of his own. According to his parents, he married the "wrong kind" of Christian, so they are no longer speaking to him. The youngest child went to college, had a promising career with a company that has since gone out of business. Then she had the NERVE to move in with her boyfriend when she lost her job, could no longer afford her apartment, and her parents refused to allow her to move back "because they had raised her and now she was responsible for her own life". Six years later, they still do not speak to her.

Nice "Christian" families.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
First:
It IS ok for kids to sometimes defy their parents!

When parents' requests are unsafe, immoral, or unethical, yes, it is absolutely acceptable for the kids to do the opposite.
Fair point, so you are saying otherwise, it's wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Second:
I know hundreds of families who raised children in very balanced Christian households. They allowed secular movies, toys, etc. Kids are pretty normal. Good, solid families.

I know 2 families who raised children in very strict Christian households. Christian only toys. Restricted TV shows. Saw evil everywhere.

The first family had 3 children. Homeschooled. LIved a very sheltered life. The oldest left for college, dropped out after 1 semester, and never returned home. The middle daughter left for college and came back pregnant. The youngest never went to college. He is in prison for drug related crimes.

The second family had 2 children. Public schools, but very regimented home lives. Son joined the Army, served, went to college on the GI bill, got married, and had 3 kids of his own. According to his parents, he married the "wrong kind" of Christian, so they are no longer speaking to him. The youngest child went to college, had a promising career with a company that has since gone out of business. Then she had the NERVE to move in with her boyfriend when she lost her job, could no longer afford her apartment, and her parents refused to allow her to move back "because they had raised her and now she was responsible for her own life". Six years later, they still do not speak to her.

Nice "Christian" families.
I don't think anyone is arguing that kids should not be exposed to secular things. That was never my argument and it wouldn't even make sense to even make that point, since again I wouldn't even be considering showing my children a secular movie if I didn't believe in showing them those things. I think people are way too quick to label Christians on here and are being a bit hypocritical/judgmental. I don't just preview secular movies, I preview Christian movies too. This is not about assuming every thing with a certain label is evil and anything Christian is good. It's about knowing your children, knowing how they can handle certain topics and how not to expose them to certain things too soon.

I have young children, so my perspective is going to be different than many of the posters on here, who are obviously older. I'm not going to show my kids things that maybe you have shown your kids because they haven't reached a certain level of maturity. I don't think anyone is arguing that we shield our kids far every single thing out there, but exercise some wisdom and the point of this was just to ask what methods people take to do so, but once again.....

Old 01-12-2015, 10:39 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,445,244 times
You must have hated "The Matrix."

Old 01-12-2015, 11:32 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,213,996 times
Quote:
So you are okay with your children defying you and talking back to you? Keeping with the context that I brought up.
I may not like it. But I've kept my ears open and often learned from it.

Parents don't know everything simply by virtue of mixing a seed with an egg and spending a few more years on the planet. Children are tuned to a world most of us have forgotten and would do well to remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity