Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 07:14 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,014,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Lego teaches kids to be creative....... Got to be of the devil
If you actually said something constructive in a conversation like this, I actually might get an idea of what your beliefs are that of course is it isn't centered around antagonizing Christians.

Have you seen the movie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
Apparently some Christians thought highly of the film:

Christian Reviewers Praise the Lego Movie: 'Good Conversation Starter'
Oh my, there are people who call themselves Christians, who are defending the movie. I guess they are the standard for Christian living. I guess my argument is defeated.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:27 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,290,035 times
Sometimes, watching and carrying out a witch-hunt for anti-Christian messages (other than being tiring) can be a great starting point for a conversation. It has been said “the unexamined life is not worth living,” I have also found that a faith that is untested is not worth living as well. Asking questions and deciphering WHY is one of life's joys--that is if we are allowed to experience joy.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Oh my, there are people who call themselves Christians, who are defending the movie. I guess they are the standard for Christian living. I guess my argument is defeated.
Oh my, there are people who call themselves Christians, who are attacking the movie. I guess they are the standard for Christian living. I guess my comments are defeated.

Notice how someone can have the exact same OPPOSITE opinion and still be a CHRISTIAN.

There is NO ONE authority on what is allowable. Even Jesus made wine for the celebrants of the wedding, and it was near the end of the party and the BEST wine ever.

Does that mean He endorsed drunkenness? Was he all for sobriety? Does it even matter?

If someone is on a diet, please do not prevent me from having a doughnut.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:34 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,375,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
If you actually said something constructive in a conversation like this, I actually might get an idea of what your beliefs are that of course is it isn't centered around antagonizing Christians.

Have you seen the movie?
My point is you can read the devil into to what you want.

No i have not seen the movie, but i love Lego and read the spoiler by someone who posted on here who i consider is a fair minded person, that leaves me to believe you saw what you wanted to in it. I know exactly were you are coming from because i was formerly of the same mind, and did things like go to pull my kids out of school plays if i felt they had a wiff of anything i at that time considered of the devil. I would go to see the head of the school and witness to them about Jesus and tell them my kids are not going to be involved in the play, yes i was a freakin nutcase. I was convinced that christmas was of the devil too and being around a christmas tree was like being in the company of the devil. Thank God i woke up to what i had become, i was a bigger devil as a bible believer than i was before i ever opened myself up to the doctrines,teachings and traditions of men.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
"Lord Business represented the epitomy of what's evil about big corporations and they ways they try to "brainwash" us as consumers" Yes, I think that is the point the OP is making: the Christian message is being attacked here.
The Christian message is CORPORATE greed is good? I think some people didn't read about the money changers...

Old 01-12-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Maybe it's a little early in the morning, but I'm not getting the anti -Christian angle from what you wrote above. Can you expound upon what you meant?
Okay in addition to the couple of things I mentioned, some other parallels:

• The Equivalent of Heaven was called Cloud Cuckoo Palace
  • Mentioning of Three Days to destroy the World
  • Lord Business plan to super glue everything so that everything would be permanently perfect and could not be changed or "corrupted"
  • The Creator being referenced as the 'man upstairs'
  • The idea of not following the instructions of the book being deemed as being "creative" and not the only way to do right
  • The main character being known as the 'Chosen One' and 'resurrecting'

Old 01-12-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Here's an idea: you can see the movie and make up your own mind.

Do fundamentalists do that? Or do y'all just feel so comfy following someone else (in this case, the OP) that you no longer have a desire to decide things for yourself?
Ok

Quote:

No i have not seen the movie, but i love Lego and read the spoiler by someone who posted on here who i consider is a fair minded person, that leaves me to believe you saw what you wanted to in it. I know exactly were you are coming from because i was formerly of the same mind, and did things like go to pull my kids out of school plays if i felt they had a wiff of anything i at that time considered of the devil. I would go to see the head of the school and witness to them about Jesus and tell them my kids are not going to be involved in the play, yes i was a freakin nutcase. I was convinced that christmas was of the devil too and being around a christmas tree was like being in the company of the devil. Thank God i woke up to what i had become, i was a bigger devil as a bible believer than i was before i ever opened myself up to the doctrines,teachings and traditions of men.
, wonder what DewDropInn thinks about that. Oh wait, she'll disappear for a while, hope on to the next conversation and pretend this never happened.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:

You obviously don't know me. If I was as closed minded as some people are trying to make me out to be, I wouldn't have sat there to even watched the movie. I was tempted to turn the movie off, but I gave it a chance after I saw the direction it was going and my opinion didn't change.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archmage View Post
I saw this movie, and didn't get anywhere close to the same message you did. To me, Lord Business represented corporate America, which is often ridiculed as trying to push consumerism down our throats by telling us what music to listen to, what clothes to buy, what food to eat, etc. Lord Business represented the epitomy of what's evil about big corporations and the ways they try to "brainwash" us as consumers (which anyone with half a clue can resist and make sound choices on their own). The lead character, for example, wanted so badly to fit in that he cheerfully accepted all of the marketing and did whatever commercials told him to do. Eventually he learns to break out of the mold and think independently, even though he doesn't know how or necessarily want to at first. He's identified as the "Special" or chosen one destined to save the world from Lord Business. It's a typical hero story with a goofy twist, but just as God calls us to be separate from the world and accept Christ so that we may live for God, I guess you could apply that mindset to the hero in this movie stepping out of his comfort zone to resist evil and consumerism. This is kind of a stretch, but I'd argue your initial impression of the movie was reading way too into things as well.

If anything, I think the message was positive as it showed kids that it's OK to have your own opinion and to think outside the box. You don't need to be like everyone else to be accepted. As a Christian child, I think this is absolutely a good message as it shows us we don't need to do what everyone else does (i.e., the world) to feel good about ourselves. We can choose to be different (i.e., live for God) and still be happy and fulfilled. The worldly ways of Lord Business ultimately are fruitless and evil, whereas independent thought and being a unique person are good and righteous.

SPOILER FOR THOSE WHO DO WANT TO SEE THE MOVIE:

In the end, it's ultimately revealed that Lord Business is actually a kid's dad who created a huge Lego city in his basement. The kid, who we find out has been controlling the Lego figures this entire time, created Lord Business as a representation of his dad who he thought was a bad parent for not spending time with him or being fun. His dad was so concerned about order and having all the Lego pieces in their place, that he forgot how to just be a kid and have fun with Lego, which are a toy after all. The story of destroying the world was imagined by the child, who, as children usually do, created a story to go along with his play. Once the dad sees his son having so much fun with the Lego city, and finds creative ways to use the Legos that aren't confined to his stingy rules, he gives up being such a cold jerk and finally just has fun for once with his child, who's been feeling neglected by his workaholic and strict dad. His dad isn't the anti-Christ or a representation of an evil, angry God. He was just a busy guy who forgot how just let loose and use his imagination. His son resented him for it and decided to work out his issues by playing with the Legos. How is this a bad message for kids?
So you believe it was okay for the child to defy his father's constant request to leave his stuff alone? It was okay for him to challenge the authority of his father? To define something that wasn't his nor something he himself created? Is that the message that kids should get from it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity