Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 10:50 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times

Advertisements

Really straight forward question. I will start with one.

The concept of judging

There are actually two types of judgment that are described in the Bible, but people often lump them together with one another.

There is judgment in the matter of eternal judgment.
There is judgment in terms of people's works.

Often times people get the two concepts confused. For example, one of the most misunderstood scriptures is from John 8:7, where Jesus stated let he without sin cast the first stone. The actual statement is in reference to Deuteronomy 17:5 where it states:

Quote:
then you shall bring out to your gates that man or woman who has done this evil thing, and you shall stone that man or woman to death with stones.
He is correcting them in showing them that he is the one that is supposed to bring condemnation, not them. The times for judges to be in the midst of the people was no longer needed. Jesus also knew what their intent was, and how they were attempting to use the law in a way that it was not meant to be, but he also knew the woman's heart so he offered her grace as a result. It wasn't that Jesus was stating judging is wrong, it was the type of judging that was being done that he was stating was wrong.

As far as judgment in terms of people's works, we are to determine if someone has demonstrated the fruits of righteousness, which isn't the same as determining if someone is being eternally judged.

In Luke 6

Quote:
43 “For no good tree bears bad fruit, nor again does a bad tree bear good fruit, 44 for each tree is known by its own fruit. For figs are not gathered from thornbushes, nor are grapes picked from a bramble bush. 45 The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.
How do you know if someone has good fruit or not if you do not examine the fruit? Matthew 7:15 states to beware of false prophets and then states in the next verse that you will know them by their fruits. So again, how do you recognize a false prophet and his fruits if you are not examining his fruits? This is a much different context then condemning someone to hell, yet people keep getting these concepts mixed up.

What others can you think of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 10:51 AM

Moderators can you add "are" after the "what" in the title and "in" instead of "of"? Thank you.

Last edited by justtitans; 01-28-2015 at 11:31 AM..

Old 01-28-2015, 10:52 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
What Are Some of the Most Common Misconceptions of the Bible?

That it is literally true.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:10 AM

18,496 posts, read 9,161,666 times
That humans will ever come to a universal agreement on how to interpret it.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:21 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Default What are some of the most common misconceptions of the bible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Really straight forward question. I will start with one.
The example you gave has nothing to do with a "misconception of the bible" (how people view the bible). You gave an example of what you believe is a misunderstanding of a topic covered by the bible.

So, you just want people to share whatever doctrines/beliefs/teachings/topics they think other people have gotten wrong based on how they read and interpret passages in the bible, not actually talk about misconceptions of the bible?

Old 01-28-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
The example you gave has nothing to do with a "misconception of the bible" (how people view the bible). You gave an example of what you believe is a misunderstanding of a topic covered by the bible.

So, you just want people to share whatever doctrines/beliefs/teachings/topics they think other people have gotten wrong based on how they read and interpret passages in the bible, not actually talk about misconceptions of the bible?
Yes you are right.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Yes you are right.
Thanks for clarifying. But, that's what the majority of threads here are about: addressing one or a few specific topics per thread that the o.p. thinks they have right and others have wrong. I'm wondering why you want to start ONE thread that's trying to do the job of the entire Christianity subforum? I'm not doubting you have a reason, I'm just curious what it is.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:36 AM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,139 times
Indeed, the 'do not judge' portion of the Scripture is the most common misconception. Scripture teaches us to judge righteously.

I would say the second most common misconception would be that we are still under the Mosaic Law, which we aren't.

Lastly, the misconception that God is love, so he is not righteous or holy or just.

I think that a large majority of common folks simply lack any true understanding of the Scripture, only knowing what they have heard and have never actually read it for themselves.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:48 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
Indeed, the 'do not judge' portion of the Scripture is the most common misconception. Scripture teaches us to judge righteously.

I would say the second most common misconception would be that we are still under the Mosaic Law, which we aren't.

Lastly, the misconception that God is love, so he is not righteous or holy or just.

I think that a large majority of common folks simply lack any true understanding of the Scripture, only knowing what they have heard and have never actually read it for themselves.
I was not aware that love precluded righteousness or holiness or justness.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I was not aware that love precluded righteousness or holiness or justness.
That's a misconception of love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity