Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 08:00 PM

335 posts, read 220,237 times

Advertisements

Colossians 3:19
Husbands, love your wives, and do not be harsh with them.

1 Peter 3:7
Likewise, husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way, showing honor to the woman as the weaker vessel, since they are heirs with you of the grace of life, so that your prayers may not be hindered.

Ephesians 5:33
However, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.

1 Corinthians 11:11
Nevertheless, in the Lord woman is not independent of man nor man of woman;

1 Corinthians 13:4-7
Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

Ephesians 5:25
Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her,

Proverbs 31
[a] An excellent wife who can find?
She is far more precious than jewels.
11 The heart of her husband trusts in her,
and he will have no lack of gain.
12 She does him good, and not harm,
all the days of her life.
13 She seeks wool and flax,
and works with willing hands.
14 She is like the ships of the merchant;
she brings her food from afar.
15 She rises while it is yet night
and provides food for her household
and portions for her maidens.
16 She considers a field and buys it;
with the fruit of her hands she plants a vineyard.
17 She dresses herself[b] with strength
and makes her arms strong.
18 She perceives that her merchandise is profitable.
Her lamp does not go out at night.
19 She puts her hands to the distaff,
and her hands hold the spindle.
20 She opens her hand to the poor
and reaches out her hands to the needy.
21 She is not afraid of snow for her household,
for all her household are clothed in scarlet.[c]
22 She makes bed coverings for herself;
her clothing is fine linen and purple.
23 Her husband is known in the gates
when he sits among the elders of the land.
24 She makes linen garments and sells them;
she delivers sashes to the merchant.
25 Strength and dignity are her clothing,
and she laughs at the time to come.
26 She opens her mouth with wisdom,
and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.
27 She looks well to the ways of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children rise up and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
29 “Many women have done excellently,
but you surpass them all.”
30 Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain,
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.
31 Give her of the fruit of her hands,
and let her works praise her in the gates.

Malachi 2
But you say, “Why does he not?” Because the Lord was witness between you and the wife of your youth, to whom you have been faithless, though she is your companion and your wife by covenant. Did he not make them one, with a portion of the Spirit in their union? And what was the one God seeking? Godly offspring. So guard yourselves in your spirit, and let none of you be faithless to the wife of your youth. “For the man who does not love his wife but divorces her, says the Lord, the God of Israel, covers his garment with violence, says the Lord of hosts. So guard yourselves in your spirit, and do not be faithless.”

Hebrews 13:4
Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled, for God will judge the sexually immoral and adulterous.

Proverbs 19
House and wealth are inherited from fathers, but a prudent wife is from the Lord.

Titus 2:3-5
Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good, and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled.

1 Corinthians 11:12
For as woman was made from man, so man is now born of woman. And all things are from God.

1 Corinthians 11:3
But I want you to understand that the head of every man is Christ, the head of a wife is her husband, and the head of Christ is God.

Proverbs 18:12
He who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the Lord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Men wrote a book telling me God told them to do it. Hundreds of men, hundreds of years.

God has heard our voice, and wants men to listen. Men refuse to listen. God calls that hard headed,yes?

You are not listening because a "weaker" woman is telling you what God wants. You do not think you have to listen. The strong never thinks it has to listen to the weak. Jesus listened.

I might have to take Jesus back from you. He has been abused, and misrepresented for far to long by men.
Honestly I'm not really sure what it is you are trying to say.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:08 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,622,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john233 View Post
Honestly I'm not really sure what it is you are trying to say.
You expect me to adhere to a book written by men. God inspiring the book is a myth men keep promoting.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:09 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,314,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
Great post. This is also an excellent explanation of why there are so many Christians who accuse atheists of having no moral compass. Many Christians see how much they struggle with temptation in their own lives and can't imagine how they'd do right without asking for God's help every day. So they can't understand how someone could live a moral life without that kind of guidance. They think that without consequences for doing wrong, they'd rarely if ever do right.

In the end, some people need that external guidance, and some don't. Whatever gets you through the day.
You and Archmage make some good points.
Unless we are possessors of the Holy Ghost, we are not able to do a work that is pleasing to god. I believe that our "natural good works" are like filthy rags in the sight of God. Only the works of the Holy Spirit are counted as righteousness in the eyes of the Lord, so we give the honor to him and we have nothing of which we can boast. If we don't truly have a mind to DO THE WILL OF God, we aren't assured that we can enter the kingdom of heaven.

Last edited by Robert M Prince; 02-24-2015 at 08:31 PM..

Old 02-24-2015, 08:15 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,622,404 times
John,
Any person, or book telling anyone women are the weaker vessel has never been pregnant, or given birth to multiples without medication.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
John,
Any person, or book telling anyone women are the weaker vessel has never been pregnant, or given birth to multiples without medication.
True enough in that regard, there is no denying that. Women have to give birth, that cannot be easy. I have children and have seen what my wife had to go through to have children.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:30 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,389,384 times
Quote:
True enough in that regard, there is no denying that. Women have to give birth, that cannot be easy.
I have children and have seen what my wife had to go through to have children.
If you have ever passed a kidney stone, you will appreciate her even more.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
If you have ever passed a kidney stone, you will appreciate her even more.
Haha nice

Old 02-24-2015, 09:46 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,639,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Oh you mean that. I thought you meant why we pray for stuff in general.

Human beings can pray all they want to God, but faith is a partnership. If I pray to God to quit drinking, but I actually want to drink myself to death, but think I should do otherwise because "what would people think" God actually won't stop me. Why not? Because that's guilt talking. Mom or dad wants you to stop drinking, but at the end of the day, God wants your happiness first.

They ask God for help, but actually, they should be praying for what they want.
Thank you for the reply. I appreciate your taking the time to articulate your point of view, but I'm afraid I'm not quite getting it. When you say people should pray instead of asking for help, what is the difference as you see it? How is it different?

Thanks again for taking the time...

Old 02-25-2015, 12:10 AM

63,890 posts, read 40,164,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
NO . . . Jesus is real and Jesus is the Living Word of God . . . NOT the Bible. The Bible tells us of Him and validates Him . . . but He is the Word of God.

John 5:37-40 Young's Literal Translation (YLT)
37 `And the Father who sent me Himself hath testified concerning me; ye have neither heard His voice at any time, nor His appearance have ye seen;
38 and His word ye have not remaining in you, because whom He sent, Him ye do not believe.
39 `Ye search the Writings, because ye think in them to have life age-during, and these are they that are testifying concerning Me;
40 and ye do not will to come unto Me, that ye may have life;
Quote:
How can you prove your point that we can't trust the Bible by quoting the Bible?
The only way that will work is by trying to point out "contradictions" within the Bible
Ha, Ha, Ha. We use the Bible because it CONTAINS inspirations from God but not everything it it is inspired. Aren't you among those who think you can use the Bible to test the Bible . . . an absurd idea???? Jesus unambiguously taught and demonstrated the Spirit of agape love and told us that God IS agape love. Logic and reason does the rest. i use the Spirit of agape love to test the Spirit of anything in the bible and I check it against what the Comforter guides me to in my heart where God has written His truth in all of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity