Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 01:37 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,421,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
That works off the assumption that the energy in question has been "transformed" into something else at all - in your claim consciousness - but there is no reason to think so.

Try it sometime. Do a balanced equation of the energy inputs into a conscious individual and all the energy outputs from that individual. See if the equation is not balanced.

If you can show some energy has gone "missing" - then you would have a plausible scientific basis to claim that some universe energy has been transformed into something else unknown.

Thus far in all my knowledge of science - no energy passthrough from humans has gone unaccounted for. So your requirement to have us account for where this "consciousness energy" has gone is a non-point and a non-question and a non-argument from the outset.
It is actually very simple. Our consciousness is tied directly to our body. If we go for surgery and they give us anesthesia we are unaware once it takes effect. If our brain dies we are unaware. No separate consciousness exists, no separate "being/person" exists. Our brain and body are dead we have no consciousness as we are "dirt to dirt". Even the diea the soul is separate does not help because OUR consciousness is tied to our body. Body dead, soul dead as we ain't there any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 01:50 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,334,303 times
A serious question then to those who believe in an after life, does this apply only to humans? I have heard both sides as to what happens when a dog dies but where does that fit in with what is being said here? They have a consciousness, less developed than a human adult but they still have one but they are not made in God's image. I do not beleive in an afterlife but to those who do does it only include people?

Old 03-06-2015, 02:41 PM

10,047 posts, read 4,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
A serious question then to those who believe in an after life, does this apply only to humans? I have heard both sides as to what happens when a dog dies but where does that fit in with what is being said here? They have a consciousness, less developed than a human adult but they still have one but they are not made in God's image. I do not beleive in an afterlife but to those who do does it only include people?
Adam and Eve ( humans ) were offered everlasting life on earth if they did Not break God's law.

If the rest of creation was offered everlasting life we would still have dinosaurs on earth. No animals would die, and No insects would die.

God's purpose was that humans would have the gift of being able to live forever on earth if we obey God's standards.
Remember that in Genesis 1:28 people were to ' fill ' or ' populate ' the earth. They were Not given the commission to over-fill the earth or over-populate the earth. So, people were to reproduce until the earth was filled but Not overly populated.
Mankind will learn more of God's will or God's purpose for earth starting with Jesus' coming 1000-year kingdom rulership over earth when all nations of earth will be blessed - Revelation 22:2 - blessed with the healing and curing of earth's nations.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:18 PM

18,505 posts, read 9,181,750 times
If my consciousness can exist independently from my body, then why did a simple drop in blood pressure cause me to completely lose consciousness? Also, how would drugs used for anesthesia affect something like an immaterial soul? The simplest explanation: there is no such thing as a soul. It's completely imaginary.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:26 PM

63,891 posts, read 40,164,479 times
Quote:
Short answer: No. The details and specifics remain unknowable, however.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Adam and Eve ( humans ) were offered everlasting life on earth if they did Not break God's law.

If the rest of creation was offered everlasting life we would still have dinosaurs on earth. No animals would die, and No insects would die.

God's purpose was that humans would have the gift of being able to live forever on earth if we obey God's standards.
Remember that in Genesis 1:28 people were to ' fill ' or ' populate ' the earth. They were Not given the commission to over-fill the earth or over-populate the earth. So, people were to reproduce until the earth was filled but Not overly populated.
Mankind will learn more of God's will or God's purpose for earth starting with Jesus' coming 1000-year kingdom rulership over earth when all nations of earth will be blessed - Revelation 22:2 - blessed with the healing and curing of earth's nations.
So is that a no?

I thought someone had posted that there was no death before the flood, would that contradict what you posted or am I missing something?

Old 03-06-2015, 06:09 PM

33,311 posts, read 26,506,892 times
I don't know whether you are a Christian, or if you even believe in God. But if you're interested in what the Bible says about the matter, man is body, soul, and spirit. The soul and spirit are immaterial parts of man.
1 Thess. 5:23 Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.
Jesus stated that man can kill the body but cannot kill the soul.
Matt. 10:28 "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in Gehenna.
The apostle Paul stated that to be absent from the body is to be face to face with the Lord.
2 Cor. 5:8 we are of good courage, I say, and prefer rather to be absent from the body and to be at home with the Lord. 9] Therefore we also have as our ambition, whether at home or absent, to be pleasing to Him.
The apostle Peter, knowing that he was about to die spoke of his body as a tabernacle, a dwelling, a pitched tent in which he resided, and of laying it aside or putting it off and departing from it.
2 Peter 1:13 I think it right, as long as I am in this body (skénóma - dwelling, pitched tent), to stir you up by way of reminder, 14] since I know that the putting off of my body will be soon, as our Lord Jesus Christ made clear to me. 15] And I will make every effort so that after my departure you may be able at any time to recall these things.
In Revelation 6:9-11, John in his vision sees the souls of Tribulational martyrs in heaven.
Rev. 6:9 When the Lamb broke the fifth seal, I saw underneath the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God, and because of the testimony which they had maintained; 10] and they cried out with a loud voice, saying, "How long, O Lord, holy and true, will You refrain from judging and avenging our blood on those who dwell on the earth?" 11] And there was given to each of them a white robe; and they were told that they should rest for a little while longer, until the number of their fellow servants and their brethren who were to be killed even as they had been, would be completed also.
According to the Bible then, man has an immaterial part, composed of soul and spirit, and so far as the believer in Christ Jesus goes, when he departs from his body at physical death, his soul and spirit go into the presence of the Lord in heaven.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:10 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,421,833 times
Quote:
So is that a no?

I thought someone had posted that there was no death before the flood, would that contradict what you posted or am I missing something?
If there was no death a lot of insects and bacteria would have ................. died.

Oh, a lot of living plants died when an animal ate them too.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
If there was no death a lot of insects and bacteria would have ................. died.

Oh, a lot of living plants died when an animal ate them too.
Oh I am aware of that but it was I think either poor in spirit or Eusebius who stated that there was no death before the flood which contradicts the post that I replied to about dogs and souls.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:27 PM
Zur

949 posts, read 831,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
God is the same . . . but what our ignorant savage ancestors BELIEVED ABOUT Him in the OT is WRONG! That is why Jesus was needed to CORRECT their mistaken beliefs under the veil of ignorance (blind minds) over reading the OT. Jesus lifted the veil of ignorance by revealing the TRUE NATURE of God in His life, teachings and especially His death. He smote no one and He loved even His torturers and murderers.
Jesus comes back to earth in the wrath of God. Rev 19:15 "And out of His mouth goes a sharp sword.....and He shall rule them with a rod of iron, and He treads the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of God Almighty." Judgement day is coming! Seems to me that your love story will than be over. Or is Revelation also written by ignorant people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity