Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 01:08 AM

89 posts, read 74,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Does there have to be a place where bad children are punished? Isn't that what "hell" is ... a place that is threatened against children if they behave badly?

Adults, obviously, have a better understanding of the Heaven/Hell dichotomy. After death ... there is dead. Heaven and Hell are figments of people's imaginations that serve to control others; like children.
When I was a little girl I was terrified of the dark. I sincerely believed their were monsters lurking where I couldn't see. But one night my mom knelt by my bed and told me that the monsters didn't exist, because Jesus wouldn't allow it. For now remember I was very little and the monsters I believed in were not human. I didn't learn about hell (and have it stick at least) until years later in a sermon. The pastor described it as a place of complete darkness, emptiness, and loneliness, where a person, unsaved, would continuously burn. The flame would only highlight the emptiness. That hell, the pastor told us, is what Jesus saved us from. Do you know what I felt from both lessons? Comfort. From both lessons I gained comfort because I knew, as I still know, that God is with me, protecting me, and when I die I will be with him.
I know some people use hell as a scare tactic, though I've never heard it myself. If it is used like that though it is being used improperly. See, you can't get out of hell by being good. You must be saved from it, by Jesus - the only one who can save us.
If I'm understanding correctly, you don't believe there is any sort of consciousness after death. Okay. I sincerely hope I will one day meet you in person in heaven, but I realize how unlikely it is that I will convince you over the internet if you don't want to be convinced. If you do want to continue with this conversation, would you mind starting a new thread? This particular one I was hoping to dedicate to discussion on what the apostles wrote about the afterlife - heaven, hades, gehenna, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 05:50 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
God is more than love.
Go on then what is the more ?............. Do you believe there is a greater attribute than love ?. You know yourself that scripture says be holy as he is and be merciful as he is, to be just like he is just(God is none of these if he is not love), so do you having these attributes of God(yes we have them otherwise we would not asked to be them) which we have so our thoughts and ways can be is, by them have a desire to do anything other than have the best interests of another at heart?, so if you only have the best interests of another at heart, why do you believe that God doesn't?. ...........No the scripture does not say God IS wrath.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:09 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaWilliams View Post
When I was a little girl I was terrified of the dark. I sincerely believed their were monsters lurking where I couldn't see. But one night my mom knelt by my bed and told me that the monsters didn't exist, because Jesus wouldn't allow it. For now remember I was very little and the monsters I believed in were not human. I didn't learn about hell (and have it stick at least) until years later in a sermon. The pastor described it as a place of complete darkness, emptiness, and loneliness, where a person, unsaved, would continuously burn. The flame would only highlight the emptiness. That hell, the pastor told us, is what Jesus saved us from. Do you know what I felt from both lessons? Comfort. From both lessons I gained comfort because I knew, as I still know, that God is with me, protecting me, and when I die I will be with him.
I know some people use hell as a scare tactic, though I've never heard it myself. If it is used like that though it is being used improperly. See, you can't get out of hell by being good. You must be saved from it, by Jesus - the only one who can save us.
If I'm understanding correctly, you don't believe there is any sort of consciousness after death. Okay. I sincerely hope I will one day meet you in person in heaven, but I realize how unlikely it is that I will convince you over the internet if you don't want to be convinced. If you do want to continue with this conversation, would you mind starting a new thread? This particular one I was hoping to dedicate to discussion on what the apostles wrote about the afterlife - heaven, hades, gehenna, etc.
John Milton's Paradise Lost (1667) opens with the fallen angels, including their leader Satan, waking up in Hell after having been defeated in the war in heaven and the action returns there at several points throughout the poem. Milton portrays Hell as the abode of the demons, and the passive prison from which they plot their revenge upon Heaven through the corruption of the human race. 19th-century French poet Arthur Rimbaud alluded to the concept as well in the title and themes of one of his major works, A Season In Hell. Rimbaud's poetry portrays his own suffering in a poetic form as well as other themes. - Hell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sounds a lot like the Christian Hell...

Old 03-14-2015, 08:58 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Each religion has it's own version of "what God says about Himself". That's all.
Have we ever "met" a god who had bad things to say about himself? How about a goddess? How can ALL versions of god be male??

Old 03-14-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
John Milton's Paradise Lost (1667) opens with the fallen angels, including their leader Satan, waking up in Hell after having been defeated in the war in heaven and the action returns there at several points throughout the poem. Milton portrays Hell as the abode of the demons, and the passive prison from which they plot their revenge upon Heaven through the corruption of the human race. 19th-century French poet Arthur Rimbaud alluded to the concept as well in the title and themes of one of his major works, A Season In Hell. Rimbaud's poetry portrays his own suffering in a poetic form as well as other themes. - Hell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sounds a lot like the Christian Hell...
Yes, Milton's Paradise Lost is a Christian epic (literally a Christian poem in the style of the Greek epic). The hell depicted is what Milton viewed hell to be. Have you read all of it? It is long but the imagery is amazing and the theology thought provoking - though I'm not sure if I believe all of it to be completely accurate. Book eight is my favorite - it describes God creating the world. I have not read anything by Arthur Rimbaud though.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Love is incompatible with eternal torture, for love and hate could never co-habitate.

Could you please give me a specific reference to this in the New Testament? From which verses are you drawing this conclusion?

Old 03-14-2015, 12:07 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Love is incompatible with eternal torture, for love and hate could never co-habitate.

Quote:
Could you please give me a specific reference to this in the New Testament? From which verses are you drawing this conclusion?

Old 03-14-2015, 12:16 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
In addition to 1 Corinthians 13, read the Sermon on the Mount and Galatians 5, as well.

Old 03-14-2015, 12:50 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Yes, Milton's Paradise Lost is a Christian epic (literally a Christian poem in the style of the Greek epic). The hell depicted is what Milton viewed hell to be. Have you read all of it? It is long but the imagery is amazing and the theology thought provoking - though I'm not sure if I believe all of it to be completely accurate. Book eight is my favorite - it describes God creating the world. I have not read anything by Arthur Rimbaud though.
You're missing the point that I am attempting to make...What most Christians believe about Hell comes from, not the bible, but authors such as Milton, Lewis, etc...Just as the imagery of HaSatan comes from the middle ages...

Old 03-14-2015, 02:02 PM

8,172 posts, read 6,924,107 times
Quote:
I didn't learn about hell (and have it stick at least) until years later in a sermon. The pastor described it as a place of complete darkness, emptiness, and loneliness, where a person, unsaved, would continuously burn. The flame would only highlight the emptiness. That hell, the pastor told us, is what Jesus saved us from. Do you know what I felt from both lessons? Comfort. From both lessons I gained comfort because I knew, as I still know, that God is with me, protecting me, and when I die I will be with him.
I don't understand how you could have felt comfort? After being told that hell, where some people will go is a place of complete darkness, emptiness and loneliness and they will be on fire forever.
Love your neighbor as yourself.

How can you feel comfort in thinking there will be people (whom you are to LOVE as YOURSELF) who will be experiencing this horrific fate (a million times worse than "mere monsters in the dark") forever?

Love your neighbor as yourself.

Your comfort you felt... where is the love for your neighbor in that comfort?
It is something to ponder, Alicia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity