Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 02:13 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,934,911 times

Advertisements

So, is anyone going to answer the OP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 02:24 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,389,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
So, is anyone going to answer the OP?
What is heaven and hell?

Old 03-14-2015, 03:53 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,934,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaWilliams View Post
What have the apostles written about heaven and hell? What picture does it give us?
Nothing so far.

Old 03-14-2015, 04:40 PM

89 posts, read 74,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
In addition to 1 Corinthians 13, read the Sermon on the Mount and Galatians 5, as well.
The Sermon on the Mount includes:
Matthew 5:17-18 - '“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished.'"
Matthew 5:22 - "But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire."
Matthew 5:29 - "If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. For it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown into hell."
Matthew 6:14-15 - "For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses."

I failed to see where Galatians 5 states that love is incompatible with hell, or the the Sermon on the Mount. Can you pinpoint it more specifically please?

Old 03-14-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
You're missing the point that I am attempting to make...What most Christians believe about Hell comes from, not the bible, but authors such as Milton, Lewis, etc...Just as the imagery of HaSatan comes from the middle ages...
Actually, considering all of the imagery in the Bible about the lake of fire prepared for the fallen angels, it seems more than likely that Milton took the imagery straight from the Bible.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I don't understand how you could have felt comfort? After being told that hell, where some people will go is a place of complete darkness, emptiness and loneliness and they will be on fire forever.
Love your neighbor as yourself.

How can you feel comfort in thinking there will be people (whom you are to LOVE as YOURSELF) who will be experiencing this horrific fate (a million times worse than "mere monsters in the dark") forever?

Love your neighbor as yourself.

Your comfort you felt... where is the love for your neighbor in that comfort?
It is something to ponder, Alicia.
The love for my neighbor comes in doing everything I can to ensure they meet Jesus.

The point I was trying to make was that, as a child, hell was not used as a controlling measure.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:16 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,695,011 times
Telling people hell is a myth is like telling peole death is a myth and nothing to be concerned about. Not very honest, and certainly not a loving thing to do.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:24 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,327,329 times
How do you know eternal hell is real and what is the purpose of eternal hell ?.

Old 03-14-2015, 05:27 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,327,329 times
Quote:
The love for my neighbor comes in doing everything I can to ensure they meet Jesus.

The point I was trying to make was that, as a child, hell was not used as a controlling measure.
So Alicia, why do you believe in Jesus and what does Jesus offer those who believe ?

Old 03-14-2015, 05:56 PM

8,183 posts, read 6,938,956 times
Quote:

You would not have felt "comfort" if you were experiencing love for your neighbor. You would have been inconsolable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity