Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 03:51 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,256,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
My mother always made us a coconut cake at Easter with pale green dye in the coconut to make it look like grass. Then she would put a bunny on there and some candy eggs of some sort. I loved that, and I always loved getting an Easter Basket. In fact, my mother gave me an Easter Basket up until I was 18 years old. Thanks for reminding me of the loving times I remember about my mother. When we were little, we always got a new dress at Easter time to wear to church with white gloves and a little wicker purse with flowers on top and white shoes.
Isn't it nice to have those memories, HeartSong?

My parents were both Depression kids who grew up in abysmal, grinding poverty. There was no money for candy, much less an Easter basket. No egg dying. No new clothes for Easter. Being able to give us the treats they never had as kids meant a lot to them. They enjoyed the baskets and the egg hunt as much as we did. Maybe more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 04:08 PM

10,093 posts, read 5,003,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
The communion is the preparation of the Lamb. As per say in Egypt. The people prepared a lamb and wiped the blood on the lentil and then ate the lamb. Jesus said do this in remembrance of me just as the lamb saved in exodus the Lamb of God is our Salvation.
But Jesus did Not pass the lamb ( or goat - Exodus 12:5 B ) around as part of his remembrance. Jesus only passed around the bread and wine. The annual anniversary date of remembrance falls on the Jewish month of Nisan the 14th day which often co-insides with or is near the old Jewish Passover date.- Luke 22:19

Interesting too, how did Ham enter into the non-biblical Easter dinner ?
My grandmother's best friend was Jewish named Mrs. Fisher. I don't know if this comes from her, but I was told people eat ham at Easter instead of lamb to show their hatred for the Jews who avoid pork products.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
You are correct in the fact that you cant worship anything you don't intend to worship, since there is no such thing as other Gods because they are not real and don't exist. If they do, that means God himself created them and wants us to all choose the correct God which no one has ever seen, so its pretty clear that other Gods are just man made idols that humans choose to worship. But if God himself says do not worship him in the same exact manner that the pagans worshiped their false God, it is an abomination to him, we have to examine how we are worshiping him.
If you were to look at the rabbit, red colored eggs, and many of the former origins of them, we would all see why many don't like them as a part of the Easter season, including ending it all with eating a honey baked pig.
A Rabbit can't lay an egg, so if you see all the Babylonian myths this was based off and see how the Easter bunny really came about, you have to examine why is a Egg laying rabbit even part of this celebration of Christ to begin with and where did it come from. We can say its not part of the celebration, yet churches hold Easter egg hunts, pass out candy eggs and make the Easter Bunny very much a part of their celebration. The RCC will have a excuse for everything the bible says not to do and ignore the past and make a new doctrine of how red eggs, the eatser bunny, etc came about and why they are good. Just slap the name of Jesus over the pagan aspects and all should be good with God.
Jesus kept the Passover and said remember him with Bread and Wine at Passover, not the Lords Supper will now be replacing Passover. I know God will not make a big deal over communion because it is remembering him as often as you see fit and since it will be nearly impossible to undo 1800yrs of traditions, Im sure God will honor Passover and Easter.
Since Jesus was the end of the temporary Constitution of the Mosaic Law - Romans 10:4 - then the remembering of the annual anniversary date of Jesus' death did replace the old Passover. However, the Jewish month of Nisan the 14th day often co-insides with the Passover date. Since a Lunar calendar was used, the starting of the date would be calculated by the moon's phase as it appears in Jerusalem, Not elsewhere. So, the seeing fit, so to speak, would be on that annual Nisan, 14th date. - Luke 22:19

Just as a wedding anniversary date does Not always fall on a Friday, the anniversary remembrance date of Jesus' death would also Not always fall on a Friday each year. So, yes, God does make a BIG deal because it should be carried out as recorded in Scripture.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:24 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,256,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post

My grandmother's best friend was Jewish named Mrs. Fisher. I don't know if this comes from her, but I was told people eat ham at Easter instead of lamb to show their hatred for the Jews who avoid pork products.
What an astounding claim. Wow.

In the U.S. having an Easter ham dates back to the early days of our country. Before refrigeration. Pigs were slaughtered in the Fall which is when they are at their plumpest. Curing a ham takes months. They end of the curing process coincides with Spring and Easter.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:36 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,248,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Worship is for US . . . NOT God. God needs nothing. Worship puts us in the proper frame of mind to experience the presence of God and love. HOW we do that is irrelevant. THAT we do it sincerely and in love of God and each other IS important. Focus on the THINGS around us is foolishness. It is what is in our hearts and minds that is important to God and our spiritual development. Focus on things is carnal thinking . . . NOT spiritual.
Absolutely, Mystic. It is good to meditate on the goodness and mercy of God. When we take time to deeply reflect on it (which is hard to do when you are worried about what is going on around you), but when we can get into a state of true worship - it lifts us up and out of this realm. I so wish I could dwell in that state all the time.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
In the U.S. having an Easter ham dates back to the early days of our country. Before refrigeration. Pigs were slaughtered in the Fall which is when they are at their plumpest. Curing a ham takes months. They end of the curing process coincides with Spring and Easter.
Interesting ^ above ^ and that sounds as if the ham would have been a cheaper meal than lamb, fish, chicken, or turkey.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
Easter is a pagan holiday which historically became today's
replacement theology that via ignorance on our part has replaced passover . Easter most christians view as a ancient
pagan holiday that was hedonistic , orgy linked and demonic in nature albeit the worship of the fertility god with a element of sun god worship and a perverted solar application not to be confused with the solar eclipse judgments of today. In fairnrss
We " use" Easter to correlate passoover , which is ridiculous but
It is what it is . The "intention" is good the application is pathetic and indicative of the stupidity of we gentiles who lost our hebrew roots tossed asside by our churches wacko quasi god Constanine!
I do not know of any Christian I have ever met who had anything resembling an orgy for an Easter celebration. It was a time for family to come together in the Spring for a special meal and time with the family, much like Thanksgiving. I doubt my grandmother (God rest her soul) never ever heard anything about any pagan link to Easter because she died before the Internet even existed. She sure was a loving host when she prepared a meal though.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Since Jesus was the end of the temporary Constitution of the Mosaic Law - Romans 10:4 - then the remembering of the annual anniversary date of Jesus' death did replace the old Passover. However, the Jewish month of Nisan the 14th day often co-insides with the Passover date. Since a Lunar calendar was used, the starting of the date would be calculated by the moon's phase as it appears in Jerusalem, Not elsewhere. So, the seeing fit, so to speak, would be on that annual Nisan, 14th date. - Luke 22:19

Just as a wedding anniversary date does Not always fall on a Friday, the anniversary remembrance date of Jesus' death would also Not always fall on a Friday each year. So, yes, God does make a BIG deal because it should be carried out as recorded in Scripture.
Just wanted to say, I have NEVER seen a RED Easter Egg. They are many colors, but I've never seen a RED one. Red jelly beans, yeah. But not Easter Eggs.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:49 PM

88,772 posts, read 85,174,600 times
Quote:
But Jesus did Not pass the lamb ( or goat - Exodus 12:5 B ) around as part of his remembrance. Jesus only passed around the bread and wine. The annual anniversary date of remembrance falls on the Jewish month of Nisan the 14th day which often co-insides with or is near the old Jewish Passover date.- Luke 22:19

That sounds like something somebody made up. I think people ate ham because it was available and could be cured and stored from the previous autumn.

Old 03-23-2015, 04:51 PM

88,772 posts, read 85,174,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Should have read ahead...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity