Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 09:48 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
No I did not. I addressed what I think Hagee means about something big happening in 2015.

Many Christians are LGBT. You wish to abandon them. I will not. My faith will not allow me.
Yes, you did. You changed the subject from the end times to gay rights.

I do not wish to abandon anyone. Not sure where you got that from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 10:00 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,617,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Yes, you did. You changed the subject from the end times to gay rights.

I do not wish to abandon anyone. Not sure where you got that from.
In fact, there are some ideologues who believe it will be the end of times if the LGBT community gains their rights.

You are aware there are Christians who are homosexual yes? My list was more than LGBT, it appears you did not read it, or you depended on the false witness of others. BTW, they did not get past the LBGT word, either.

Let me state again for you. John Hagee expects a big event in 2015. Something that will really shake things up.

What is going to shake things up are LGBT rights, ending hunger, and embracing education. I also hoped that fundamentalist ideology dies. I think my list is going to happen. John Haggee is correct for all the wrong reasons.

It is you who cannot see past the acronym.

Jesus likes my list.

Last edited by RonkonkomaNative; 03-25-2015 at 10:01 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-25-2015, 10:52 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Ah, TroutDude, the way we make lives better for ourselves, is by make life better for others! You know, kinda like that Jesus guy said.
I agree.

And not just better for our fellow humans. But also better for our other brothers and sisters and cousins and kin who comprise the planet which nourishes us. I believe that is what we should strive for.

(Sermon deleted.)

The least we can do, is what we all do: Die. And our remains, whether slowly-decaying flesh or fire-reduced elements, are added to the planet sooner or later. It is all we have to give back to Mother Earth in return for our fleeting, glorious burst of being.

I hope it's enough.

I think it is.

As to our spirit/soul/ego?

Your guess is as good as mine. But I have a hunch this ain't all she wrote.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:59 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Ah, TroutDude, the way we make lives better for ourselves, is by make life better for others! You know, kinda like that Jesus guy said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I agree.
And not just better for our fellow humans. But also better for our other brothers and sisters and cousins and kin who comprise the planet which nourishes us. I believe that is what we should strive for.
The least we can do, is what we all do: Die. And our remains, whether slowly-decaying flesh or fire-reduced elements, are added to the planet sooner or later. It is all we have to give back to Mother Earth in return for our fleeting, glorious burst of being.
I hope it's enough.
I think it is.
As to our spirit/soul/ego?
Your guess is as good as mine. But I have a hunch this ain't all she wrote.
It definitely "ain't all she wrote," Trout. Our imaginations are amazing . . . but I suspect they are just not up to the task of imagining what it will be like as a Spirit being.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:32 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasroane View Post
The bible tells us to hate the sin and love the sinner.
Actually no it doesn't. That phrase comes from Gandhi, who definitely was not a Christian. In fact one of his most famous quotes is:

I like your Christ
I do not like your Christians
They are so unlike your Christ.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:04 AM

125 posts, read 91,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Actually no it doesn't. That phrase comes from Gandhi, who definitely was not a Christian. In fact one of his most famous quotes is:

I like your Christ
I do not like your Christians
They are so unlike your Christ.
Actually - it does.

God loves the Sinner

Romans 5 6 You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. 7 Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. 8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

God, by virtue of His Wrath against it, hates sin

Colossians 3 5 Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. 6 Because of these, the wrath of God is coming

Ghandi, like many other of the world's philosophers, plagiarized Jesus. And had Ghandi taken the time to find a real Christian then he would have thought differently. Not everyone who claims the name of Christ is a Christian. Many are called, few are chosen.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:58 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post

The so called 'age of aquarius' was a herald of the last paradigm shift - 1967-1968. That was nearly 50 years ago. Google 1968 if you want to see what I mean. The list of political, cultural and international changes were immense. In the words of one reporter of the time, '1968 was one god***n thing after another'.
The start of the Age of Aquarius is a matter of debate among astrologers. Some believe it has not yet begun. Each age lasts 2,260 years. IF it started in 1967-68 we are only in the very beginning. Thus "this is the dawning of the Age of Aquarius". The Age of Aquarius is an age of change and enlightenment. Of new ideas and inventions. Ronkon's idea of a new attitudes towards and freedoms for the LGBT community* would very much fit in with what might happen during the Age of Aquarius.

Personally, I think Hagee is one more guy hawking a product: his books. Which appeal to customers with a certain mentality. He's the 2015 version of the travelling salesman standing in the back of a wagon selling tonics "guaranteed to cure what ails ya".

*A SCOTUS decision in favor of marriage equality *cough, *cough Which will probably send Hagee into a writing frenzy and he'll have even more books to sell.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 03-26-2015 at 09:25 AM..

Old 03-26-2015, 10:04 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Then by Romans 5:6 logic Wouldn't love the "sinner" be likened to baking a wedding cake for the LGBTQ couple? Like Tony Campolo had a birthday party for the prostitute??

This twisting of scripture is so much fun. I should have taken a class when I was at theology school...

Old 03-26-2015, 12:50 PM

125 posts, read 91,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Then by Romans 5:6 logic Wouldn't love the "sinner" be likened to baking a wedding cake for the LGBTQ couple? Like Tony Campolo had a birthday party for the prostitute??
No.

No more than if a married man walked in and said he wanted a special cake for his mistress. Or for a thief to ask for a cake to be made to celebrate all he had gained from stealing from others. Or for a liar who said he was acquitted for murder even though he actually committed the crime.

We all know why the couple chose a Christian business. It was to force their ideas on a Christian couple who were just trying to run a business. By your logic, it would be within my right to have a LGBT business owner to print 1 Timothy 1:8-11 on a T-shirt. Which says:

8 We know that the law is good if one uses it properly. 9 We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, 10 for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine 11 that conforms to the gospel concerning the glory of the blessed God, which he entrusted to me.

And if they refused wouldn't I be within my rights to sue them using your logic? As a Christian, I would never do that though. I don't want to force them to embrace my values. I also do not wish to have them attempt to force their values on to me. Agree to disagree - live and let live. What they do is between them and God. They are not satisfied with that though.

As Christians we can never condone that type of lifestyle. Nor an adulterer, or fornicator, or thief, etc. Jesus has never given us a command to approve of what He calls sin. Even He said in Matthew 5 " 29 If your right eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell." After Jesus saved the adulteress what did He say to her? He didn't tell her to continue as she was living but to "go and sin no more."

You and so many who are like you here fancy yourselves as enlightened rebels. But you are in the majority and you go with the flow. Now it is cool to be gay or at least support gay marriage. While others, like myself, are the few crying out as voices in the wilderness to repent. We are called to Love and forgive but also to preach the Word and rebuke. Sin has terrible consequences and if we do not speak up about it then we are guilty of not showing love. If you see someone is about to fall into a ditch you warn them. That is what we are called to do.

2 Timothy 4 In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge: 2 Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction. 3 For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

Quote:
This twisting of scripture is so much fun. I should have taken a class when I was at theology school...
No argument from me. Or you should have at least read the Bible.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:06 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,617,033 times
^^^^

How would you know they were gay? Gaydar?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity