Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2015, 11:51 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Maybe you don't know yourself as well as you think. You said you were in combat. I didn't make that up. Maybe you need to examine THAT paragraph.

Thought police indeed.
Still just making vague innuendos and not coming right out with it. Is that because you really DO understand what I've said, but just don't want to acknowledge it?

To refresh your memory:

Originally Posted by Pleroo
Those of us who lived under the belief that the threat of eternal hell was true understand the damage the belief does. I, for one, appreciate everyone who speaks up about it, whether it is to show that there is plenty of reason, biblically, to believe such a thing is not true, or to show that it is not compatible with the nature of a God who is love, or how it depicts God as a cosmic crime boss, or to explain the injustice of eternal punishment for finite offense, or to explain the illogic of God demanding that one believe certain "right things" about God in order to avoid eternal hell but not being crystal clear what the "right things" are, or to testify to how such a belief can warp the way those who hold the belief view other people.

The fact that the horrific concept of eternal hell has been used so long and so effectively to strike fear into the hearts of others that, even in a time period when people should have long a since been free of its hold, it continues to nag at people because its been fixed into our collective psyche, gives me all the reason I need to combat it, and to encourage others to do the same.

You see, just because I am now free from the soul twisting belief in eternal hell, doesn't mean I'm content to let others continue to labor under its evil influence if I can help it.

Quote:
Yes, the belief threatens the mental and spiritual and emotional well-being of THOSE WHO HOLD IT. Get it?

Using Justtitans example of the hippo around the corner. If someone actually believed that that was true and refused to ever leave the spot they were standing because of their fear of a non-existent hippo, and their felt need to stand there and warn people of their supposed impending doom, would you just leave them there without any attempt to reason with them? And what if unsuspecting and ignorant passersby were falling for what the hippo-mentalist was preaching and were dragged into the delusion? You wouldn't feel any desire to help out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 12:04 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Still just making vague innuendos and not coming right out with it. Is that because you really DO understand what I've said, but just don't want to acknowledge it?

To refresh your memory:

Those of us who lived under the belief that the threat of eternal hell was true understand the damage the belief does. I, for one, appreciate everyone who speaks up about it, whether it is to show that there is plenty of reason, biblically, to believe such a thing is not true, or to show that it is not compatible with the nature of a God who is love, or how it depicts God as a cosmic crime boss, or to explain the injustice of eternal punishment for finite offense, or to explain the illogic of God demanding that one believe certain "right things" about God in order to avoid eternal hell but not being crystal clear what the "right things" are, or to testify to how such a belief can warp the way those who hold the belief view other people.

The fact that the horrific concept of eternal hell has been used so long and so effectively to strike fear into the hearts of others that, even in a time period when people should have long a since been free of its hold, it continues to nag at people because its been fixed into our collective psyche, gives me all the reason I need to combat it, and to encourage others to do the same.

You see, just because I am now free from the soul twisting belief in eternal hell, doesn't mean I'm content to let others continue to labor under its evil influence if I can help it.

Quote:
Yes, the belief threatens the mental and spiritual and emotional well-being of THOSE WHO HOLD IT. Get it?

Using Justtitans example of the hippo around the corner. If someone actually believed that that was true and refused to ever leave the spot they were standing because of their fear of a non-existent hippo, and their felt need to stand there and warn people of their supposed impending doom, would you just leave them there without any attempt to reason with them? And what if unsuspecting and ignorant passersby were falling for what the hippo-mentalist was preaching and were dragged into the delusion? You wouldn't feel any desire to help out?
Still trying to cover your tracks...

You did not claim it did damage to yourself.

C'mon now - you guys create multiple threads about this - you have conjured up a make believe denomination of fundamentalism - because I am a threat to myself? No way.

The belief is the threat. TroutDude said the light came on. He got it. Why can't you get it?

Old 04-09-2015, 12:11 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:

C'mon now - you guys create multiple threads about this - you have conjured up a make believe denomination of fundamentalism - because I am a threat to myself? No way.

The belief is the threat. TroutDude said the light came on. He got it. Why can't you get it?
I thought you grasped Pieroo's point.

I was wrong.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
LOL. I'm reposting EXACTLY what I posted previously, for you to reread.

Quote:
Sure I did.

Quote:
Read the whole post. Yep, the belief is a threat to those who hold it. Is it really so hard for you to wrap your head around the idea that people might care about something other than just themselves?

Quote:
Yes, the belief is the threat, as I explained it in my very first post, TO THOSE WHO HOLD IT.

And yes, Trout gets it. You don't.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:31 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Quote:
Because I'm not the one USING a threat, you are.

I've had your perspective. I spent 40+ years seeing it from your perspective.
It's still the same thing. You are preaching what you believe is right.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:33 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I thought you grasped Pieroo's point.

I was wrong.
Predictable.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
It's still the same thing. You are preaching what you believe is right.
It's not the same thing. You (generic you who preach eternal torment) are preaching a threat: believe as I do, or else. We're not threatening people with anything for not believing as we do, but rather explain the inherent problems with the eternal hell belief itself, on all the various levels.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:42 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Quote:
It's not the same thing. You (generic you who preach eternal torment) are preaching a threat: believe as I do, or else. We're not threatening people with anything for not believing as we do, but rather explain the inherent problems with the eternal hell belief itself, on all the various levels.
How can something be a threat, if in your mind, supposedly, it doesn't exist?

Old 04-09-2015, 12:43 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
...So we are told.

But we believe....

Biblical inspiration and the inerrancy of scripture as a result of this
Virgin birth of Jesus
Belief that Christ's death was the atonement for sin
Bodily resurrection of Jesus
Historical reality of the miracles of Jesus

I'm proud to be a fundy! Keep hating me haters!

Fundamentalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oh, I assure you, I don't hate you. I just don't trust you.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
How can something be a threat, if in your mind, supposedly, it doesn't exist?

It is not a threat to those who know better, either having been taught from early on that it wasn't true, or having escaped the belief through examining it closely. Unfortunately, since eternal hell has been used for so long and so effectively to strike fear into the hearts of people, it has taken hold in the collective psyche, and people are often susceptible to that threat. So, it still needs to be spoken out against by those who care about other people who are, or might be, ensnared by it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity