Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 11:29 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I changed your list a tad.

1.) Authoritarian Leadership. You have to see it your way. There are no other options.
2.) Exclusivism. You're the only ones who are right.
3.) Isolationism. There’s us and there’s them. You can’t be part of both.
4.) Opposition to Independent Thinking.
5.) Fear of Being “Disfellowshiped.”
6.) Members may be told that something awful will happen to them should they choose to leave the group and its way of thinking.

Is this list of a personally type dependant on a belief system?
Very well could be. Definitely a personality type that is a committed member of an established system, belief or otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 12:44 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Very well could be. Definitely a personality type that is a committed member of an established system, belief or otherwise.
the key phrase is ' ... a personality type that is a committed member ...". That suggest the personality type determines the commitment not the other way around. lmao, but let's face it, some should be committed.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:46 PM

23,161 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
the key phrase is ' ... a personality type that is a committed member ...". That suggest the personality type determines the commitment not the other way around. lmao, but let's face it, some should be committed.
I got my one good eye on you, they wont get me, no, they wont get me.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:56 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,631,521 times
Oh to be so short sighted?

1.) Authoritarian Leadership. You have to see it our way. There are no other options.
6.) Threats of Satanic Attack. Members may be told that something awful will happen to them should they choose to leave the group and its way of thinking, and Satan will be behind it.

Where the heck did you get all of this crap?? Psychology class? Now who's stereotyping whom???

Old 04-07-2015, 01:58 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post

1.) Authoritarian Leadership. You have to see it our way. There are no other options.
6.) Threats of Satanic Attack. Members may be told that something awful will happen to them should they choose to leave the group and its way of thinking, and Satan will be behind it.

Where the heck did you get all of this crap?? Psychology class? Now who's stereotyping whom???
It came from some of the characteristics of Facism.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:03 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post

remove the word "satan" then go look at personality types. You will find out.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:09 PM

63,814 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I don't think anybody hates "Fundies" because of what they believe. I think the rest of us just get tired of being told we're going to burn in Hell if we don't agree with you on every point of doctrine. Jesus said that his disciples would be recognizable because of their love for one another. Sometimes I think that fact seems to elude certain Christians.
It doesn't merely elude some Christians, Katz . . . it is completely incomprehensible to them. Their focus on blind faith and rote following of rules as a sign of their faith in God seriously corrupts any chance of agape love being part of their lives. It represents almost a complete victory over the Spirit of agape love who IS God by the "precepts and doctrines of men" . . . AKA the "doctrine of devils."

Old 04-07-2015, 02:27 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
I personally will begin to have respect for fundamentalists when they begin to walk mercifully and in forgiveness towards the people whose lifestyles they are not approving of.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:36 PM

63,814 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I personally will begin to have respect for fundamentalists when they begin to walk mercifully and in forgiveness towards the people whose lifestyles they are not approving of.
I resonate with this rebuke, pcamps . . . but the Spirit of agape love demands that we respect every one of our brothers and sisters, period. I find the mandates of agape love especially difficult with those who do evil, are cruel, or otherwise act as enemies . . . and I have to work very hard not to yield to my disgust and abhorrence of their attitudes and actions. But I am no Christ.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:59 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Default Personality traits of fundamentalists of any religion

Psychological traits of fundamentalism:
  • A strictly hierarchical and authoritarian worldview. Everything has to have a First, a Somebody in Charge. In any partnership, one partner has to have the deciding vote. Groups and societies work best with rigidly defined roles and stratifications. (There are people who believe this way who are not fundamentalists: at least, not religious fundamentalists.)
  • Ethical development at the "reward and punishment" stage: morality must be defined and enforced by an external authority.
  • A lot of guilt and fear about sex.
  • Basic distrust of human beings; certainty that "uncontrolled," human beings will be bad and vicious, particularly in sexual ways.
  • Low tolerance for ambiguity. Everything must be clear cut, black and white. Nothing can be "possibly true but unproven at this time, we're still studying it." Fundamentalists regard science as flawed precisely because science changes. (A striking characteristic of fundamentalists is that their response to any setback which may instill doubt is to step up evangelizing for converts.)
  • Literalism, usually including a limited sense of humor.
  • Distrust of their own judgment, or any other human being's judgment.
  • Fear of the future. The driving motivation of fundamentalism appears to outsiders to be fear that oneself or the group one identifies with is losing power and prerequisites and is in danger from others who are gaining power. This is not how fundamentalists put it.
  • A low self-esteem that finds satisfaction in being one of the Elect, superior to all others. It seems to be particularly rewarding to know that rich people have a real hard time getting into Heaven.
The life experience of fundamentalist that seems to encourage these traits include:
  • Conditional love: parents, or other authority figures, withheld love to control behavior.
  • Other factors -- sometimes mental, emotional, or even physical abuse -- that minimized self-esteem.
  • For those who grew up fundamentalist, the church was the central activity of family life, all else was subsidiary to the church, and social interaction with "non-believers" was discouraged, except when evangelizing.
  • Those who have converted to fundamentalism often grew up without any firm philosophical framework, or experienced some trauma that destroyed their former framework. They were at a time in their lives when they needed absolute Answers.
Fundamentalist groups reinforce these traits:
  • They insist on a rigid hierarchy of authority. The more extreme the group, the more authority is concentrated in one central figure.
  • The group, and the authority figure(s) within the group, withhold or bestow love to control behavior. Misbehaving members are cut off from communication.
  • They magnify current social and individual evils and dwell on the "innate wickedness of man."
  • Sexual "immorality" is often their central cause.
  • They promote a Truth which is superior to all other truths because it is absolute and unchanging.
  • They promote distrust of one's personal judgment, being subject instead to the given truths of the group, the judgment of the church as a body, or the proclamations of a central authority figure.
  • They are apocalyptic, foretelling an immanent and horrifying future which only the faithful will survive. Any disaster in the news is magnified as "a sign of the apocalypse.
A Psychological Analysis of Fundamentalism: Essay by Anitra Freeman

Does anyone fail to recognize posting patterns of the majority of our fundamentalist posters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity