Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 03:22 AM

67 posts, read 54,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The unpardonable sin of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit was specific to the time that Jesus was on the earth and cannot be committed today. It had to do with attributing the miracles that Jesus performed to Satan instead of the Holy Spirit. Jesus was addressing the Pharisees who continually rejected Him despite the miracles He had performed.

This subject was a topic which was addressed yesterday (06/17/2015) at the 2015 Chafer Theological Seminary Bible Conference. If you wish, you can listen to it here.

2 - What About the Unpardonable Sin? - by Mark Musser - Dean Bible Ministries

As well, here is what Dr. Robert Dean of West Houston Bible Church says concerning the unforgivable sin. He also states that it was only possible to commit this sin during the time that Jesus was on the earth, but focuses on the national aspect of this sin as it related to Israel's rejection of Jesus as the Messiah. Listen to it here.

76 - The Unforgivable Sin [b] - by Robert Dean - Dean Bible Ministries
'Can you do something so awful that God won’t ever forgive you? Listen to this lesson to learn about the unforgivable sin. Find out that when Jesus pronounced this judgment He was talking to the religious leaders of Israel who were plotting to kill Him. See what blasphemy or the “sin of the high hand” is and that it was punishable in time. Learn that people who have trusted in Christ never need worry about committing an unforgivable sin but should make a decision to be on God’s side and get involved in God’s plan and purpose for their life.'
So you are reconciling yourself to God. You are looking for God. Yes, these sort of feelings do happen. The key to solve this kind of problem is humity {blending with eshewing (from) evils}. I wish you good luck.

Last edited by cpcu12345; 06-18-2015 at 03:27 AM.. Reason: {eshewing from evils}
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 03:37 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,735,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I'm constantly haunted with the idea that I've blasphemed against God and committed the unpardonable sin as mentioned in Matthew 12:32. In fact, anxiety about this used to haunt me to the point of obsession. I don't really understand what went on. It was like the more I hated and feared it, the more it tormented me. I eventually stopped running and gave in to it. I said a sentence that I shouldn't have said, forgot what I said, and eventually couldn't do anything about it. It wasn't an innocent act. It was calculated folly. Since then, I've been very confused and have felt unable to count on my own spiritual senses. I've relied on other people heavily to tell me that everything is going to be okay, but I haven't been able to find God for myself at all.

True to form, I've also indulged in everything a good Christian should not, at least thought-wise. It's very easy for me to justify certain behaviors as fact-finding ventures, but it doesn't keep me from feeling guilty.
Forget what some folks are trying to say is the Unpardonable sin. If you look it up on the internet, and I suspect you have, you will find half dozen different opinions right off the bat. I don't know what blaspheming the Holy Spirit really is and neither do any so foolish as to try to tell you.

But here is how I can guarantee you that you have done no such thing whatever it is.

Frankly, it's because the thought that you might have done so is bothering you so very much. Whoever has committed the unpardonable sin, God is no longer going to strive to bring to Him. They will no longer have a conscience regarding their own sin (although that doesn't mean they are psychopathic as they may still fear man's law).

You are driven by sin conviction brought about by the Holy Spirit who is striving to bring you closer to God. You can pray for forgiveness for you did and rest assured God will do so. He wants you for something grand---perhaps to be a blessing to someone who will bestow even greater blessings on others. God was able to forgive me for a sin far greater than any you think you "may" have committed. Since no one knows what that unpardonable sin is, every "answer" put forward is a guess. Mine was for real. And God simply would not be a God of justice to forgive someone like me while turning His back on one who is troubled because they may have committed a sin.

There is only one way to escape the burden of our past mistakes. We must live today---TODAY--for others. When we get busy looking for opportunities to lift others so that they perhaps can escape the suffering we ourselves have experienced, it is a cathartic spiritual moment.

Your very post is a blessing to me. Thank you for it. I can escape my own sinful past TODAY by encouraging you to take heart. God has not abandoned you. He is calling you to be more than you are, to try to be His child by helping those around you in any way you can.

Yesterday is gone, tomorrow may never be, but TODAY you have been a blessing to an old man.

And that's why you absolutely have NOT committed an unpardonable sin.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 06-18-2015 at 03:49 AM..

Old 06-18-2015, 03:41 AM

709 posts, read 378,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Have you spoken with your pastor about this? Perhaps he or she can help you find a way to reconcile it in your mind and your heart.
Today's elders can not help even them selves, in to the path of truth, so how can they help the others?

And there should be any she elders, or teachers it is against the doctrines of the Scriptures, and just give the bad signal that you can believe what you want to believe, that the message of the Scriptures is not so important, even though it is, and we should really try to understand that message, but if some of the main rules are like thrown behind of the back, then how the rest of the message can be opened ever?

Old 06-18-2015, 04:26 AM

2,673 posts, read 2,244,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Why in the world would you want to belong to a religion that makes you feel this way simply for being human? What are you getting out of it that makes it worth feeling so miserable about yourself? I'm sorry; I don't mean to be unhelpful... it just seems to me that the solution is blindingly obvious.
What are you talking about?

Old 06-18-2015, 04:37 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,279,590 times
Quote:
I'm constantly haunted with the idea that I've blasphemed against God and committed the unpardonable sin as mentioned in Matthew 12:32. In fact, anxiety about this used to haunt me to the point of obsession. I don't really understand what went on. It was like the more I hated and feared it, the more it tormented me. I eventually stopped running and gave in to it. I said a sentence that I shouldn't have said, forgot what I said, and eventually couldn't do anything about it. It wasn't an innocent act. It was calculated folly. Since then, I've been very confused and have felt unable to count on my own spiritual senses. I've relied on other people heavily to tell me that everything is going to be okay, but I haven't been able to find God for myself at all.

True to form, I've also indulged in everything a good Christian should not, at least thought-wise. It's very easy for me to justify certain behaviors as fact-finding ventures, but it doesn't keep me from feeling guilty.
Let it go. TRUST God and embrace LOVE. GOD is NOT vengeful and waiting to take you out.

Look for the MERCY of God and not the PUNISHMENT.

Old 06-18-2015, 05:36 AM

33,347 posts, read 26,564,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpcu12345 View Post
So you are reconciling yourself to God. You are looking for God. Yes, these sort of feelings do happen. The key to solve this kind of problem is humity {blending with eshewing (from) evils}. I wish you good luck.
You probably meant to address this to the OP.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:03 AM

7,325 posts, read 6,947,683 times
You are probably not going to like what I have to say ,however Unlike satan I do not bend the truth.
You know in your heart what you have done , the witness in your life the emptyness of your existance.
Though the Holy Spirit is with drawn this does not alienate God altogether ,however you will be lacking the tutelage of the spirit to know God's will in your life.
It is the connection of the Holy Spirit that is the mark ,the harvesting angels identify on that day.
The first most important order of business is to get your heart right with God and repent turning from self govern to God's govern,
This is something one must be desperate for from the beginning, other wise they are only adopting a philosiphy, not building a relationship.
EMPHISIZE your Love and devotion for God and the need to do His will .
The time you devote in prayer may be relivent to the offence ,
That is with in the perview of God's observation .
One cannot serve/love others as a servant of God with out His instruction, doing so with out His instruction, puts one at odds with God.
Spend what time you can make available in prayer reaching out for Him. and recgnizing your need for Him daily for guidance and asurance..
They that backslide feel that is is a long way back , as it should .
But if you will pursue God with greater devotion, there is hope.
Howeer , if you choose to please men in sted ,seeking loupe holes in doctrine your avoiding facing God .
You know that won't fly.
I will pray for you, and with you.
God still loves you and He is worth the effort.
How much effort are you willing to invest ?
That is for Him to observe.
One last thing , noting that you are feeling conviction, over ths issue ,God has not given up on you. you shouldn't give up either.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:21 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,625,898 times
Quote:

yup. its hard to dump the guilt. Change your thinking about yourself. Its a hard and long process and you may need help to do it. good luck.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:23 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,625,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
What are you talking about?
original sin.
Teching that we are bad things is the worst thing ever.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:48 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,590,725 times
Thank you for the input. I'm just confused at this point. People have one million opinions about scripture and what it says, what is right, and what is wrong, what constitutes "holiness" and "righteousness" and what doesn't, and they are blind to their own hypocrisy, or at least what others may mark as such. I think that is what I have seen. In light of all of this, I will be honest. I would heavily question the existence of God had He not spoken to me once, only once upon a time, though. I vowed that I would follow Him all the days of my life after that, but then I fell away in some dramatic way and lost all of the faith I had, because I, like the others I've spoken to, had my own beliefs about God and how to serve Him, and I went against those beliefs.

For one, I was taught that blaspheming God could be done even if you weren't aware of it, and that's why you should never speak about another person's church or the things that are going on. I didn't do that, but I took the name of God in my mouth, and...well, I think you know the rest. I did it because I couldn't stop thinking about it. I just wanted it to go away. It wasn't an innocent act, though. I remember. I remember I didn't want to do it and started to say it under the idea that I wasn't really going to say it, but then I forgot, went about my business, and never really changed it. The whole time, my conscience was telling me not to do it, but it seemed fairly innocent to my mind. I wasn't really planning to say it, after all. That was the most foolish thing I've ever done. After that, I found myself completely unable to have faith, no dreams, no visions, no prophecies, just fear, like the Bible describes those that are lost. If that wasn't enough, I've continued to have tormenting thoughts about blaspheming God, to the point that little activities become something vile. I try to ignore it and even indulge in my "fact-finding ventures" to justify doing, or at least thinking, about things that are probably not great. I have a very inquisitive mind, and it used to not really bother me at all, but now it seems like almost everything can bother me.

At this point, I'm just tired. Religion, I'm not saying faith, but religion does seem to have the power to ruin people's lives. I remember a time when I was happy as a Christian. I wish I would have just stopped going to these churches!

Last edited by krmb; 06-18-2015 at 06:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity