Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 04:23 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,279,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Some people come here to discuss the topic, while some others come here to take shots at other posters, which proves how little tolerance they have for anyone who are even a little different than themselves.

Why would anyone be so offended by seeing the word of God being quoted that they attack the person quoting it?

They did it to Stephen, and stoned him to death, and with his last breath he forgave his attackers saying they did not understand what they were doing. I also forgive, as I also know some people simply do not understand what they are doing.

Resentment is poison. Throw it away!
You have no idea what is righteousness, so you resort to what you are very knowledgeable about........ not God, not Jesus, not the scriptures...............but sin(or what you judge to be sin), the very same thing Jesus continually rebuked the Pharisee for(You refuse to see that it was only them that he called out for sin, regardless of the rest of us/them being sinners or not). You do not believe like Stephen or in the kind of forgiveness he displayed(yours is very conditional), for the very fact you are continually on here speaking against sin and those you are not approving of, rather than walking in forgiveness towards it and them. If you want to portray yourself a Pharisee do not be surprised for being rebuked for being so.

Last edited by pcamps; 07-02-2015 at 04:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 05:10 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
And I am proud of our nation at this time in spite of the unloving attitude of so many and how late it is in coming. It IS happening. The Spirit IS moving.....again.
Unfortunately it is the spirit of the accuser, the tempter, the father of lies. It is expected that many will approve and justify sin, and even call sin righteousness. They will attack those who stand for the truth. It is happening, and the posts here prove it.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:49 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,710,208 times
Quote:
Unfortunately it is the spirit of the accuser, the tempter, the father of lies. It is expected that many will approve and justify sin, and even call sin righteousness. They will attack those who stand for the truth. It is happening, and the posts here prove it.
Pcamps is right. You aren't free from sin because you remain focused on it constantly. You appear to be a quite fearful person, as if the Supreme Court ruling is going to force you to marry a man.

Nate isn't a fearful person. People who have Christ in their hearts aren't fearful. All of us know how the final chapter turns out, minus the date and the details. The fact that you are so unsettled by this ruling should make you question where you are in your spiritual life.

I left the the SBC 25 years ago when they started preaching the anti-gay message (and began suppressing women's organizations in the denomination). It wasn't like that prior to Jerry Falwell. I've never looked back. While I am resentful that modern day fundamentalists hijacked my denomination, leaving the church did not mean I left God. And I've always felt Him pursuing me when I strayed.

This world will end someday. I am reaching the end of my days. But I'm not fearful.

I know who holds tommorow.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:09 AM

25,948 posts, read 22,098,104 times
Quote:
While I am sure you understand why they do not see their sin, why they feel free to celebrate it, I am posting a link for others that may not understand it because there was a time that I did not understand how someone would sin, continue that particular sin and celebrate/brag about it: Separation from God (Forerunner Commentary) - Bible Tools

For those that have been separated from God, there is absolutely no way to reach them. Other than some miracle, I see no way to help them. It will not be from the words of any man that they find God.

By the time you are sinning without guilt, the sin has become so intoxicating that only that person can dig their way out. Most of those sucked into sin like that don't have the moral fortitude to dig their way out thus the higher rates of drug abuse, alcohol abuse and suicide. It is unfortunate but God gave us freewill and they are exercising that.

I have noticed if you have to spend a lot of time trying to justify your behavior that it is best to regroup and really take a good look at yourself and your life.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
While I am sure you understand why they do not see their sin, why they feel free to celebrate it, I am posting a link for others that may not understand it because there was a time that I did not understand how someone would sin, continue that particular sin and celebrate/brag about it: Separation from God (Forerunner Commentary) - Bible Tools

For those that have been separated from God, there is absolutely no way to reach them. Other than some miracle, I see no way to help them. It will not be from the words of any man that they find God.

By the time you are sinning without guilt, the sin has become so intoxicating that only that person can dig their way out. Most of those sucked into sin like that don't have the moral fortitude to dig their way out thus the higher rates of drug abuse, alcohol abuse and suicide. It is unfortunate but God gave us freewill and they are exercising that.

I have noticed if you have to spend a lot of time trying to justify your behavior that it is best to regroup and really take a good look at yourself and your life.
I see fundamentalists as separated from God--most of them anyway. And I was once one myself. So climb out of the book and get in the Spirit.

If you're spending all your time thinking about someone else's sin, you have no eye for your own, and no ability to offer Good News to others.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

Correct. It is hard, if not impossible, for us to help those who have built a wall between themselves and God. Only God can help them. Like the Bible says "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them". I know, because I have been there, and was not able to come to Him until He touched my heart and allowed me to see the problem.

The personal attacks here are nothing to be concerned about. It's just people venting out in spiritual darkness. They are offended by the Gospel, and when they cannot attack the message, they attack the messengers instead.

As for the people celebrating sin and calling it righteousness.

"Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter."

Thanks for the link BTW. It is good reading.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 07-02-2015 at 07:00 AM..

Old 07-02-2015, 06:48 AM

Quote:
It is hard, if not impossible, for us to help those who have built a wall between themselves and God. Only God can help them. Like the Bible says "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them". I know, because I have been there, and was not able to come to Him until He touched my heart and allowed me to see the problem.

The personal attacks here are nothing to be concerned about. It's just people venting out in spiritual darkness. They are offended by the Gospel, and when they cannot attack the message, they attack the messagers instead.
You are avoiding facing your own heart by focusing on what you perceive is the sin of others. You are afraid that this change in law will somehow negatively impact you. I'm not homosexual. I've been married to and known only one woman for 44 years. And the Spirit of God calls me to stay up all night responding to the continued fears of people who are worried that other people might be happy in a relationship.

I have no concerns about the future at all. It will work out as God has intended, despite everything you might try to do to derail it.

That is the peace that passeth all understanding.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:05 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,389,030 times
Quote:
Correct. It is hard, if not impossible, for us to help those who have built a wall between themselves and God. Only God can help them. Like the Bible says "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them". I know, because I have been there, and was not able to come to Him until He touched my heart and allowed me to see the problem.

The personal attacks here are nothing to be concerned about. It's just people venting out in spiritual darkness. They are offended by the Gospel, and when they cannot attack the message, they attack the messengers instead.

As for the people celebrating sin and calling it righteousness.

"Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter."

Thanks for the link BTW. It is good reading.
You are right. the problem is people being willing to admit they are wrong. Sin is ... and well some just don't want to have what they love called ... sin. That is why they reject scripture in favor of their own misguided spirit.

Old 07-02-2015, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
You are right. the problem is people being willing to admit they are wrong. Sin is ... and well some just don't want to have what they love called ... sin. That is why they reject scripture in favor of their own misguided spirit.
The word 'sin' is poison to them, and they do not want it mentioned, and when someone mentions it, they lash out immediately with accusations of being sin-conscious, or afraid, or in the wrong spirit etc anything personal.

Stephen was also stoned with words before he was stoned with rocks.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:01 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,211,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
And ONLY GOD gets to determine what is or is NOT sin...two people doing the identical same action--ONE might be sin, the other might not--It's all in the heart--aka intention...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity