Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 06:52 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times

Advertisements

I have some questions here. I am trying to distinguish between religious morality and anti-religious morality.

All of the bulleted items appear in the Bible. Which of these rules or principles should we adhere to? Which are considered Christian, and therefore religious?

• No Idolatry against God
  • No Murder (pre-meditated, self defense not included)
  • No Adultery
  • No Stealing
  • No False witness (let's say in court)
  • No Taking God's name in vain
  • No Incest
  • No Beastiality
  • No Homosexuality
  • No Pedophilia
  • No Divorce
  • No business on Sundays
  • Accurate weights and measures and standards
  • No Bribrery
  • Death penalty

People obviously agree with no murder - yet it's a biblical principle from God. Yet some rules are rejected, even though the source is the same.

What makes some rules acceptable, and others not acceptable?

I am just asking for opinions - I am not pushing total biblical acceptance (even though I am in the Christian part of the forum... go figure ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 08:18 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I have some questions here. I am trying to distinguish between religious morality and anti-religious morality.

All of the bulleted items appear in the Bible. Which of these rules or principles should we adhere to? Which are considered Christian, and therefore religious?

• No Adultery
  • No Stealing
  • No Incest
  • No Beastiality
  • No Homosexuality
  • No Pedophilia
  • No Divorce
  • No business on Sundays
  • No Bribrery
  • Death penalty

People obviously agree with no murder - yet it's a biblical principle from God. Yet some rules are rejected, even though the source is the same.

I am just asking for opinions - I am not pushing total biblical acceptance (even though I am in the Christian part of the forum... go figure ).
Much of what you listed is based on a moral code, while No business on Sundays is not a moral code and neither is something in which is prohibited, for doing such as something thought of as being required would then fall under legalistic \ not under grace concept.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:04 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,326,711 times
Quote:

• No Adultery
  • No Stealing
  • No Incest
  • No Beastiality
  • No Homosexuality
  • No Pedophilia
  • No Divorce
  • No business on Sundays
  • No Bribrery
  • Death penalty

No god no need to have rules against no idolatry or in taking the Lord's name in vsin. Some times a divorce is best for all concerned especially the children. More important to come up with the solution that 8s best for everyone rather than a black and white rule regardless of the circumstances. I see nothing immoral about homosexuality. I do not see the death penalty as moral, and although you did not mention it i also do not see slavery as moral either. I have no problems with stores closed Sundays but do not see that as a moral issue. Besides the Bible does not say Sundays as the day of rest. Adultery is a breach of trust between two spouses and should be dealt with by those two rather than having a church or government involved.

The other morals are more universal and can be found in societies that were not exposed to the Bible. Have you also left out some of the other morality issues that in the Bible that are not as acceptable in today's world as they were in the past? If you did is it to try to show that even non believers base their morals on the Bible? I think it is incorrect when any religion tries to that create for fairly universal standards or morals.
I think false testimony is wrong even not under oath so jot sure why you put the restrictions on it.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
No god no need to have rules against no idolatry or in taking the Lord's name in vsin. Some times a divorce is best for all concerned especially the children. More important to come up with the solution that 8s best for everyone rather than a black and white rule regardless of the circumstances. I see nothing immoral about homosexuality. I do not see the death penalty as moral, and although you did not mention it i also do not see slavery as moral either. I have no problems with stores closed Sundays but do not see that as a moral issue. Besides the Bible does not say Sundays as the day of rest. Adultery is a breach of trust between two spouses and should be dealt with by those two rather than having a church or government involved.

The other morals are more universal and can be found in societies that were not exposed to the Bible. Have you also left out some of the other morality issues that in the Bible that are not as acceptable in today's world as they were in the past? If you did is it to try to show that even non believers base their morals on the Bible? I think it is incorrect when any religion tries to that create for fairly universal standards or morals.
I think false testimony is wrong even not under oath so jot sure why you put the restrictions on it.
Slavery was not prohibited... that's why I did not include that.

Closed on Sundays - when I was growing up, most stores were closed on Sundays, so I threw that one in.

Regarding the underlined, I tried to make the last somewhat relevant to today. We are not Old Testament Jews, so I did not include many of those laws.

Interesting that you said some morals are more universal and can be found in societies not exposed to the Bible. Homosexuality is OK... Death penalty not OK... Adultery a private matter...

Thanks for the input.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Much of what you listed is based on a moral code, while No business on Sundays is not a moral code and neither is something in which is prohibited, for doing such as something thought of as being required would then fall under legalistic \ not under grace concept.
Like I posted, there was a time when stores were closed on Sunday - I think that was based on a day of rest teaching from the Bible. I just threw it in.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:49 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
In any cultural context, deeply embedded values and attitudes can be difficult to change.

You might want to take a look at the influence of cultural norms, past and present, such as the treatment of women, ethnic minorities, the aged and young, people of different religions, sexual orientations, or people who are married, verses those who are not?

Old 08-05-2015, 12:25 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Answer one question for me: what's "new" about the "new commandment?"

Old 08-05-2015, 03:03 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:

• No Adultery
  • No Stealing
  • No Incest
  • No Beastiality
  • No Homosexuality
  • No Pedophilia
  • No Divorce
  • No business on Sundays
  • No Bribrery
  • Death penalty

Rather ironic how fundies will say we are no longer under the laws of DEUTERONOMY or LEVITICUS, yet here are listed 7 laws that are not part of the Big 10, but when someone mentions shellfish, blending materials, ot tattoos, fundies tell us those laws are no longer in effect? How many of the 613 are in effect? And how does a fundie tell when a "law" was just for that era or culture and when a law is supposed to have universal application and is timeless?

The question is did mortals create laws based on common sense and the bible copied them, or did the bible influence civil law?

Since there are more laws than just the 10, and they are not quite as stupid as the 613, I believe mortals influenced the writing of the bible.

I stand with the Constitution as being the supreme law and a living document that adapts to new situations where the basic premise of the law supports all future decisions, that ALL men (HUMANS) are created EQUAL and ALL are deserving of RESPECT, LIFE, LIBERTY and the opportunity to pursue HAPPINESS without having Red Herrings tossed at our feet as stumbling blocks.

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 10-15-2017 at 09:54 AM..

Old 08-05-2015, 03:44 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
See The true living God does have spiritual authority of in the list when people resist these , where spiritual the unseen spirit of the world can have spiritual authority with these in the list when people ignore the rules ..... Another rule from God which comes from all the gun violence increase today is no poverty or leaders being able to eat and ignoring hunger in the land

Old 08-05-2015, 05:45 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
See The true living God does have spiritual authority of in the list when people resist these , where spiritual the unseen spirit of the world can have spiritual authority with these in the list when people ignore the rules ..... Another rule from God which comes from all the gun violence increase today is no poverty or leaders being able to eat and ignoring hunger in the land
I am truly amazed that so many fundies believe that without God we have no morals or laws?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity