Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2016, 09:24 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
OK. Yes, Jesus mentions adultery and marriage in the context of his teaching. Perhaps I should have more clearly said sexual relations was not the focus of Christ's teaching. He far more emphasized what was in our hearts than what we do with our bodies.
He spoke about both, because they are connected.

"For from within, out of the heart of man, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, coveting, wickedness, deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from within, and they defile a person.” - JC

Quote:
I see that you completely disregarded the rest of my post in order to make note about how right you were. You shall have your reward. God just put a big gold star on your bible-verse chart
I see you completely ignored my question. I'll give you a gold star, which you can glue on your forehead if you like.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:30 AM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I smoked for 40 years and quit one year after a heart attack and cardiac surgery. It'll be 10 years since I quit at the end of May.

Quit tobacco, that is.

You can do it, gurl. When you're ready.
One time my throat was bleeding and I thought I was dying from smoking. I still went out and smoked with every drag causing so much pain you wouldn't believe it. It is a part of who I am.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:35 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
He spoke about both, because they are connected.

"For from within, out of the heart of man, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, coveting, wickedness, deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride, foolishness. All these evil things come from within, and they defile a person.” - JC

I see you completely ignored my question. I'll give you a gold star, which you can glue on your forehead if you like.
Thanks, Man! Now if you see a fifty-something six-foot-tall woman with Medium Auburn hair and a gold star in the middle of her forehead coming toward you, you'll know it's me.

I had to go back to see to what question you refer.

It was how do I think you mean Jesus words on sexual immorality were meant--I think you think that the immorality lies in certain sexual acts themselves and that that is the film through which you view Christ's words.

If I am wrong about that, say so, but that's what I get out of your posts on the subject of gay people.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:53 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,569,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, they do, but self-denial is a completely different topic.
Please explain. How so? Do they not all make up idolatry? Did Jesus not pray. "not my will, but thine be done"?

Old 03-17-2016, 10:40 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,845,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Actually smoking is a far more difficult addiction to break than alcoholism or narcotics, even though the chemical substance is less compelling. The behavior that smoking is attached to is breathing. The need to breathe occurs frequently and affords frequent opportunities to miss smoking when you try to quit, i.e. every breath you take. The need to drink occurs less frequently and does not afford as many opportunities to miss drinking, but the chemical withdrawal effects are not trivial when you try to quit. The need to stick a needle in your arm hardly ever occurs but the chemical effects of withdrawal are considerably more severe. If you snort cocaine or inhale crack you complicate the behavioral and chemical cues making quitting even more complicated.

Yeah, I've been trying to quit for a long, long time. I seem to turn into Frankenbish when I do though, and nobody likes me very much. The last time I tried to quit smoking, my roomie at the time bought me a pack and begged me to start again. "And that's when I killed him, Your Honor." (ok, kidding about the last bit.)

Last edited by geekigurl; 03-17-2016 at 11:25 AM..

Old 03-17-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I smoked for 40 years and quit one year after a heart attack and cardiac surgery. It'll be 10 years since I quit at the end of May.

Quit tobacco, that is.

You can do it, gurl. When you're ready.
Thank you, Trout. I hope so. Those e-cigarette things look intriguing. I might look into those.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:02 AM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Thank you, Trout. I hope so. Those e-cigarette things look intriguing. I might look into those.
That's worse than ciggs Geekigirl. You cough after every toke because you are breathing in wet oil, it coats your lungs and you get popcorn lung. You seriously get an addiction problem because of the fact that when you substitute ecig, you will smoke it 10 times more than you smoked cigarettes and that's the catch. You breath in wet oil day and night and you are never without that stupid thing.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:09 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Sounds like Hannibal has a bad opinion of those. I've never used them.

When I said I stopped smoking tobacco, it meant I still partake of the Rastafarian holy herb.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
That's worse than ciggs Geekigirl. You cough after every toke because you are breathing in wet oil, it coats your lungs and you get popcorn lung. You seriously get an addiction problem because of the fact that when you substitute ecig, you will smoke it 10 times more than you smoked cigarettes and that's the catch. You breath in wet oil day and night and you are never without that stupid thing.

I hadn't really considered all that. Thanks for the heads up, Hannibal!

Old 03-17-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Sounds like Hannibal has a bad opinion of those. I've never used them.

When I said I stopped smoking tobacco, it meant I still partake of the Rastafarian holy herb.
Mary is a good friend of mine. She comes over occasionally, but she never stays very long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.