Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 11:29 AM

950 posts, read 691,893 times

Advertisements

What prompted this question was when I was waiting at the bus stop, and an elderly man began conversing with me about his recent trip to Portugal. He showed me a photograph taken while visiting a chapel, which showed a strange phantom image. He insisted it was an appearance of the Mother Mary. In looking at the photograph, I could barely discern any human shape, but I did not argue with him as I did not want to offend him.
On the other hand, the Miracle at Fatima is very thoroughly documented. So I want to see what others among you think about it. Was it an actual resurrection?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 12:49 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
What prompted this question was when I was waiting at the bus stop, and an elderly man began conversing with me about his recent trip to Portugal. He showed me a photograph taken while visiting a chapel, which showed a strange phantom image. He insisted it was an appearance of the Mother Mary. In looking at the photograph, I could barely discern any human shape, but I did not argue with him as I did not want to offend him.
On the other hand, the Miracle at Fatima is very thoroughly documented. So I want to see what others among you think about it. Was it an actual resurrection?
I don't think it was a resurrection at all. It was a vision on three (so I recall) separate occasion of the Virgin Mary (1) to some shepherd children and subsequently a vision of a rotating sun together with a vision of the Holy family (to one person at least) and a reported miraculous drying up of the clothes of the crowg who had turned up in the rain. Subsequently one of the Popes took a particular interest and it became a particular pilgrimage site.

Oh yes, I ought to mention the 'three secrets' given by the apparition to the girl, the last remaining secret and disputed, though having been opened and the contents reportedly relating to the shooting of JPII

Add to that the UFO dimension with some enthusiasts regarding what they call 'The BVM' as an alien mind -control method and interpreting the rotating sun as an alien spacecraft and we have an intriguing, lovely, debating subject.

(1) on on of the appearances claimed to be "The Immaculate Conception".

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-18-2015 at 12:57 PM..

Old 10-18-2015, 03:49 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,012,828 times
Not a resurrection, but a vision from God , through the power of Holy Spirit , I believe it came at a time which the church is Russia was being rejected and put down to nothing , as God will move to seek faith in a time of distress in the church

Old 10-18-2015, 04:11 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times
Quote:
Was it an actual resurrection?
I've never heard the Church, or anyone else, call it a resurrection.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:42 PM

122 posts, read 112,339 times
The photos could well have been from the appearance of the BVM at Zeitoun, Egypt in 1968-70. The Zeitoun event is not nearly as widely known as Fatima, but it was pretty spectacular and the photos are quite weird. I am not even a Catholic, but I have read extensively about Fatima and have little doubt that something of a paranormal nature occurred. The UFO interpretation of the event would obviously be offensive to Catholics, but some scholarly research in this vein has been done and the interpretations in no way relate to "an alien mind-control message" - they simply note that the phenomenon fits the classic "UFO sighting" model better in some ways than it does the "BVM appearance" model. Anyway, I'm not following what you mean by a "resurrection" in the context of Fatima - I have never heard this term used in connection with Fatima. I would see it as simply a spectacular appearance by the BVM.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:47 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,185,929 times
Quote:
No

Old 10-19-2015, 12:17 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,244,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I've never heard the Church, or anyone else, call it a resurrection.
Me either. I think it was wise of you not to argue with him, though. There is no need to disturb a person's faith in God.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:26 AM

689 posts, read 494,558 times
We used to own a field at our previous property, where just after we bought it in February 1997, there were claims a couple had seen Mary in the field, and been cured of their ailments! My husband and I were very sceptical of course, even though when it came to media attention other sightings were reported, and more healings claimed! However, when I was standing at the field gate in the May of that year I saw for a second or so a figure which looked like the picture book version of Mary. Of course the girl wouldn't have looked anything like that in reality, so obviously my mind was playing tricks!

Old 10-19-2015, 02:34 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
We used to own a field at our previous property, where just after we bought it in February 1997, there were claims a couple had seen Mary in the field, and been cured of their ailments! My husband and I were very sceptical of course, even though when it came to media attention other sightings were reported, and more healings claimed! However, when I was standing at the field gate in the May of that year I saw for a second or so a figure which looked like the picture book version of Mary. Of course the girl wouldn't have looked anything like that in reality, so obviously my mind was playing tricks!

Obviously there is no other explanation that could even be possible......

Old 10-19-2015, 04:28 AM

689 posts, read 494,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Obviously there is no other explanation that could even be possible......
Not in my opinion! I don't know why the Catholics make such a big deal about Mary, Jesus didn't seem to have that much time for her! The poor girl gave birth to a boy who was a nuahgty kid if the Temple episode was an indication of his character, for which I would have grounded him for a very long time if he had been my son! As an adult he appears to have been very arrogant with faults and failings like all other humans! Surely if the guy had been some sort of deity it would have been clear to all, which clearly it wasn't not even his family!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity