Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 05:23 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
I think the Christians who believe in the 'you must be 'saved', or else' dogma, are in a very unpleasant cult.
Its the other way round. There is sound doctrine, and then there are "'private words from God". Teaching these 'private messages' as opposed to sound doctrine, is a sign that your church might be a cult.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 10-19-2015 at 05:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 08:34 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,655,088 times
If your church never has interfaith events it is a cult.

If a church denies science it is a cult.

If a church is strictly literal interpretation it is a cult.

If a church has never said " we were wrong about this" it is a cult.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:38 AM

689 posts, read 494,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post

Good thinking!

Old 10-19-2015, 08:49 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post

Has a church ever said it is wrong about anything?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Did I throw you a curve ball in my response?

I don't know what the only true church is.

God doesn't have to think whether or not an assembly of people is a good fit. He just knows what we need, and who we need.
Yep, you did. I didn't ask you what the true church was. I asked whether you think that God (who knows what the true church is, even if you don't) directs people to it or whether you think there is no particular True church and God just directs people to whatever they need. I gather from your line 3, you go with the second option.

I'm always amused by the doge-balling and prickly nerves of the theists at any Questioning. Don't worry Mr suspicious, I'm not going to drive that any further You can work the implications out for yourself.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:02 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I can think of a number posters on here should take a look at this list as from the outside it certainly looks like it may apply to them.

Is your church free from cultic tendencies
Unfortunately any church following all those guide liens would be a cult as several conflict with Biblical admonition. That is a man's opinion and to follow it and ignore clear scripture on some issues, leads to ... following man. Generally a good list but again conflicts with scripture in some areas.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:51 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
Some of what Jesus is quoted as saying is sensible there is other stuff which is nonsense, imo. But then he was just human not some sort of god!

No one knows the 'TRUTH'. Why should I care what others think about my posts? I really don't, I will just carry on stating my POV just as others will!
You seem to suggest you know the TRUTH, in that there is no way to know. Ironic, isn't it?

Old 10-19-2015, 11:52 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Many of these things are subjective, but it is a pretty good list to be aware of.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:17 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Yep, you did. I didn't ask you what the true church was. I asked whether you think that God (who knows what the true church is, even if you don't) directs people to it or whether you think there is no particular True church and God just directs people to whatever they need. I gather from your line 3, you go with the second option.

I'm always amused by the doge-balling and prickly nerves of the theists at any Questioning. Don't worry Mr suspicious, I'm not going to drive that any further You can work the implications out for yourself.
See the bold - you asked about it -- and you don't know what it is... and you are doing it again. God directs people to what?

No suspicion here, no dodge-balling... just want clarity. So let me be clear.

God's primary focus is not to direct us to some entity... or something that they need... He directs people towards His Son. Otherwise, yes - I was OK with your second option.

You know - if I come off as prickly sometimes, I'm OK with it. In the past, I would want to be the nice guy... but I'm over it. I am who God made me.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:21 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I am who God made me.
Me too! And I keep getting scolded by the fundamentalists. Go figure.

You might do better since I doubt you'll get the shaky finger from the fundamentalists who would otherwise reprimand you for spreading discord. Being a fundamentalist yourself....you have the Get Out of Jail Free card. How exciting for you!!

Old 10-19-2015, 12:59 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Me too! And I keep getting scolded by the fundamentalists. Go figure.

You might do better since I doubt you'll get the shaky finger from the fundamentalists who would otherwise reprimand you for spreading discord. Being a fundamentalist yourself....you have the Get Out of Jail Free card. How exciting for you!!
What is the Get Out of Jail Free card that I have that you don't have?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity