Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 08:55 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Surely you understand that you'd have to know someone personally to see their faith in action, or lack thereof.
I know good people who do good things who have no faith, some with half-arsed faith, and some who fervently believe in some variant of God.

What I was commenting on was your pedestrian, quite lame explanation of what it meant to be born again.

It was as moving as reading about the composition of cardboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 09:10 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I know good people who do good things who have no faith, some with half-arsed faith, and some who fervently believe in some variant of God.

What I was commenting on was your pedestrian, quite lame explanation of what it meant to be born again.

You're confusing the definition of a term with a personal experience.

*Are you able to converse without diminishing others? Do you talk this way to people when you have to actually look them in the face?

Old 11-01-2015, 09:10 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
For people like jimmie being "born again" is a ritual and magic thing achieved by following the prescribed religious formula. But jimmie's heart is sincere and he does know how to love, so he is "born of God." Unfortunately, he is smothered under the "precepts and doctrines of men" that corrupt his understanding of God. He is in for a big surprise.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:13 PM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Why do you believe I don't have love? I converse with you and others all the time. Methinks you make much ado about nothing.
I don't know if you do or you don't, but that wasn't really the point.

You had an opportunity to reply to that question in a completely different and personal way, and instead you backed off and did the colder, standard-issue detached bible-quote thing. There was no heart in your response. I'm just pointing out that this is a problem, and it's a common problem that causes the walls between those who put bible knowledge ahead of compassion in their conversation and those who see and hear them.

What if you said, "By born-again, I mean that after I believed, I changed. I became a different person from the one I was before." Sure, some will still be skeptical, but so what. It's more intriguing a statement than chapter and verse by rote.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
For people like jimmie being "born again" is a ritual and magic thing achieved by following the prescribed religious formula. But jimmie's heart is sincere and he does know how to love, so he is "born of God." Unfortunately, he is smothered under the "precepts and doctrines of men" that corrupt his understanding of God. He is in for a big surprise.
Is that the agape love you talk about? You know, it doesn't mean much if you don't actually practice it.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:23 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Quote:
Is that the agape love you talk about? You know, it doesn't mean much if you don't actually practice it.
I have nothing but love for you, jimmie, that is why I try so hard to open your eyes to the real Gospel of Christ.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:06 AM

689 posts, read 494,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't know if you do or you don't, but that wasn't really the point.

You had an opportunity to reply to that question in a completely different and personal way, and instead you backed off and did the colder, standard-issue detached bible-quote thing. There was no heart in your response. I'm just pointing out that this is a problem, and it's a common problem that causes the walls between those who put bible knowledge ahead of compassion in their conversation and those who see and hear them.

What if you said, "By born-again, I mean that after I believed, I changed. I became a different person from the one I was before." Sure, some will still be skeptical, but so what. It's more intriguing a statement than chapter and verse by rote.
The point is does your faith make you a better person? There is no point in having a faith if it doesn't make you a better person than you were before. Sadly all to often the 'born again' dogma makes many people worse, in my experience!

Old 11-02-2015, 09:08 AM

350 posts, read 570,365 times
Chris Tomlin's song "Jesus Loves Me" explains very simply what I felt when I went through a Born Again type experience. Check it out when you have some time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8gKXu6J2wE

I was lost
I was in chains
The world had a hold of me

My heart was a stone
I was covered in shame
When He came for me

I couldn't run, couldn't run from His presence
I couldn't run, couldn't run from His arms

Jesus, He loves me, He loves me, He is for me
Jesus, how can it be, He loves me, He is for me

And it was a fire
Deep in my soul
I'll never be the same

I stepped out of the dark
And into the light
When He called my name

I couldn't run, couldn't run from His presence
I couldn't run, couldn't run from His arms

Jesus, He loves me, He loves me, He is for me
Jesus, how can it be, He loves me, He is for me

Read more: Chris Tomlin - Jesus Loves Me Lyrics | MetroLyrics

Last edited by Dopefish; 11-02-2015 at 09:09 AM.. Reason: changed some wording

Old 11-02-2015, 12:33 PM

1,248 posts, read 824,229 times
Yes, I do believe I am worthy of love, and I also believe I have a responsiblity to return that love which I receive from others. I don't need the Christian god or the bible to tell me that.

Old 11-02-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
I have nothing but love for you, jimmie, that is why I try so hard to open your eyes to the real Gospel of Christ.
Yeah, right. That's why you belittle me even though we've never met. You need to work on yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity