Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2015, 04:20 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,407,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Christianity offers redemption from sin, a new life in Christ, help in time of need, peace in times of trouble and a secure future.
Redemption from sin? You yourself said that sin still has a hold on Christians that they can't escape, so they're no more redeemed from sin than anyone else.

A new life in Christ? You mean a conscience and the willingness to follow it. That's already been covered: it is not exclusive to Christianity.

Lots of non-Christians experience peace in times of trouble, and lots of Christians don't.

A secure future? You mean escape from hell? Yeah, like I said, you guys keep trotting that one out because you have nothing else to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 04:21 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,621,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, that is the prayer of those who claim to be sinless. Being sinless, they have nothing to repent, so they focus on talking about those who don't agree with their views.

They'll shout: "Those fundies can't even stop sinning". "They don't even know the scriptures".

It is the true Pharisee spirit.
You keep telling us you sin, therefore you require redemption By now, you should be able to figure out how not to sin. You cannot seem to do this. How do I know this? Because you state you are a sinner.

Old 11-17-2015, 04:35 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,386,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, the unbelieving indeed.

"But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death."

I encourage you to read up on what the "cowardly" refers to.
You of little faith, who are timid and fearful of things to come.

Last edited by Jerwade; 11-17-2015 at 04:43 PM..

Old 11-17-2015, 04:39 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,807,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Redemption from sin? You yourself said that sin still has a hold on Christians that they can't escape, so they're no more redeemed from sin than anyone else.

A new life in Christ? You mean a conscience and the willingness to follow it. That's already been covered: it is not exclusive to Christianity.

Lots of non-Christians experience peace in times of trouble, and lots of Christians don't.

A secure future? You mean escape from hell? Yeah, like I said, you guys keep trotting that one out because you have nothing else to offer.
•Redemption from the penalty of sin, which is spiritual death.

•Not a conscience. Everyone has one of those. Rather, a new direction in life, from self to others, from sin toward righteousness, toward God.

•A non-Christian does not have access to God, in times of trouble.

•A Christian's future is in the presence of God, free from all sorrow and pain.

Old 11-17-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I do not use your gospel to decide or interfere with my relationship with God. I believe your gospel is what separates people from God.
Jesus is the only way to God. It appears you have invented a God that agrees with you.

Old 11-17-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Let's see..... I avoid sin because I think it separates us from God. I avoid sin because sinning often hurts the people around us. I avoid sin because I have a conscience. I believe that when we do not sin.... God is pleased.

If you think I am in error about Christianity or you don't like my attitude about sin....whatever.... I can't change how you think so I'm not going to worry about it. To borrow a phrase from Ronkon..... God and I are old friends. I don't have to sit in a church and be told I'm a dirty sinner. Because I'm not. If you are and if you have issues and if sitting in your church helps you deal with all that..... be sure to put something in the collection plate so they can keep the lights on.
Congratulations on your sinlessness.

Old 11-17-2015, 04:56 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,210,848 times
Quote:
Congratulations on your sinlessness.
Give the glory to God. I am the way He made me.

I have never claimed I am sinless. I try to avoid sinning. There is a huge difference which you don't seem to understand.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:00 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,621,295 times
Quote:
Jesus is the only way to God. It appears you have invented a God that agrees with you.
I have already said, I have a crush on Jesus, and Howard Zinn. Jesus agrees with me. Howard and I had some differences. Aside from Howard, I really loved his wife Rosalyn.

God and I are old friends. It appears you have no idea about my relationship with God, so much so you have taken to telling me God is an invention. How odd, jimmie.

And, yes. God does agree with me.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:07 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,407,338 times
Quote:
1•Redemption from the penalty of sin, which is spiritual death.

2•Not a conscience. Everyone has one of those. Rather, a new direction in life, from self to others, from sin toward righteousness, toward God.

3•A non-Christian does not have access to God, in times of trouble.

4•A Christian's future is in the presence of God, free from all sorrow and pain.
Okay, so number one and four go together and are the thing you guys keep holding onto so tightly because it's all you really have to offer: redemption from the supposed PENALTY of sin (eternal hell) and a future free from that PENTALTY of sin.

Number two: please, provide some evidence that individual Christians have a new direction in life, away from sin and toward God any more than individual non-Christians. What should that look like?

Number three: What does "access to God in times of trouble" look like in your mind. People experience peace? As many non-Christians as Christians have peace in trouble at times, some as a result of feeling that they are experiencing God's presence, others for other reasons. As many Christians as non-Christians do NOT experience peace in trouble at times. So, Christians are no different from anyone else in that regard.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:08 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,689,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Christianity isn't offering anything that isn't available to everyone, regardless of their religious affiliation or lack thereof: it's called a conscience. Everyone has one and Christians and non-Christians alike pay attention to it at varying levels.
It is available to everyone.

However, people love the darkness. Why do you think people do what they do?

" Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil"

If you let it, the light drives out the darkness, and the desire to do evil dies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity