Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 06:20 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,290,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I didn't expect you to listen to the class. You are too far gone in apostasy and I leave you to it. I posted the class given by Dr. Dean for anyone who is interested in understanding what James was referring to.
The class and lesson is nonsense. The Greek word means diseased, ill, sick. It is used repeatedly through the NT to refer to those physically ill.

Mat 10:8
Mk 6:56
Luke 4:40
Luke 7;10
Jn 4:46
Jn 5:7
Jn 6:2

This guys claim it means weary is bogus and an attempt to explain away the fact that people don't get healed from following James' instructions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 06:37 PM

18,253 posts, read 16,951,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
I guess I should have used the [/sarcasm] sign. I would have thought it obvious.

And where do you see me having a rep of 1965? that's your rep?
I apologize. When you've heard every hare-brained excuse I have from Christian apologists for the Bible's failures sometimes sarcasm skirts right by you.

You're right. That's my rep.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:39 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,952,495 times
Quote:
I guess I should have used the [/sarcasm] sign. I would have thought it obvious.

And where do you see me having a rep of 1965? that's your rep?
He can't even read a reputation correctly, how does he expect to get verses correct.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
The class and lesson is nonsense. The Greek word means diseased, ill, sick. It is used repeatedly through the NT to refer to those physically ill.

Mat 10:8
Mk 6:56
Luke 4:40
Luke 7;10
Jn 4:46
Jn 5:7
Jn 6:2

This guys claim it means weary is bogus and an attempt to explain away the fact that people don't get healed from following James' instructions.
Ahhhhhh... at last a breath of common sense. Thank you, wallflash for pointing out the Greek meaning. Now Mike HAS no defense to cower behind.

Spiritual illness!!!!!! Have you ever.....!

Old 11-08-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
He can't even read a reputation correctly, how does he expect to get verses correct.
You see, folks. When a fundamentalists has nothing left to defend they go after simple sight-reading errors. Nice play, perry. But then I'd expect no less from you.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:44 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,821,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
James 5:14-15

Now let's make sure we've got this straight: the Bible is inerrant. That means that it is God talking DIRECTLY to humanity, not James. It is God Himself making this promise to men,

The language couldn't be more simple and direct and there's no smokescreen "context" that apologists can hide behind. It's an ironclad promise from God to His children that if His children pray to Him in faith, the person they are praying for will be cured and made well.

Down through 2000 years how many millions of Christians have done EXACTLY as the Lord commanded and prayed in faith only to see their beloved children die in misery and agony??????

Can there be any more convincing proof that the Bible is a fraud---that God DOES NOT keep His promises? Remember, if one promise in the Bible fails, then the whole Bible fails. It cannot be the Divine Word of God. It can be a good book for some helpful advice here and there like any other religious text, but it CANNOT be God's inspired Word, as fundamentalists love to claim.
Any person with the required level of faith can walk on water. I know of no case where the prayers of one who could walk on water to heal the sick were not answered.

5,187 posts, read 6,952,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
You see, folks. When a fundamentalists has nothing left to defend they go after simple sight-reading errors. Nice play, perry. But then I'd expect no less from you.
And a fool goes in to a defensive mode.
Oh by the way I am not a Fundamentalist, another sight-reading error.

4,851 posts, read 2,290,047 times
Quote:

Except that he did.

Now the word used for sick in v 15 does have one definition as weary , IF pulled out of context with the word for sick in v. 14 , which is always used to mean disease.

But if we want to make the word in v 14 mean weary also, then we call into question all the miracles of Jesus and the Apostles where they are said to have healed the SICK.

You cant have it both ways.

Last edited by wallflash; 11-08-2015 at 06:59 PM..

Old 11-08-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Any person with the required level of faith can walk on water. I know of no case where the prayers of one who could walk on water to heal the sick were not answered.
Now THAT sarcasm I did pick up. Nice one. I'll be on the lookout for someone with enough faith to walk on water....and make sure he isn't wearing a robe from Bellevue.

Old 11-08-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
And a fool goes in to a defensive mode.
Oh by the way I am not a Fundamentalist, another sight-reading error.
You're not a fundamentalist????? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

You're a latent fundamentalist, even if you don't want to admit it, perry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity