Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 04:04 AM

10 posts, read 9,787 times

Advertisements

I guess the title explains it all.

Over the summer my husband lost his job, it was brutal. It was a bad situation and brought us both to our knees, in a crippling way. We held onto each other and both of us settled it in our hearts that God would provide, and He did!

I wish I could rant forever about how hard we were hit but I cant. I wish I could explain how, ironically, I was okay with it when it happened and how it was actually a peaceful time for both of us. It was beautiful and dark and a thousand other things, but at the end of the day we were brought out of it. God did it for us and me and my husband talked and talked about how much we owe Him. It was one of those things you just knew, like when I was saved.

Now, we are making money again. Bills are being paid, still struggling with old debts but we pay the vitals now... child support, groceries, insurance, rent, etc, and we can tuck a little away in savings. We started to pay tithe, and it felt awesome. We owed Him! I had excitement in my heart for it but now... it's so much money for tithe. A lot. It is more than a month pay of a friend of ours made who gave us the last of his money when we had to camp in a tent. Yes, it's 10%, but it's 10% that should go to our debts or savings, or kids?!

We don't even have a church at the moment but we give it to my childhood church, a small town church where I was saved.

I'm just feeling resentful and angry about it. I want to grab that 10% and put it towards anything else, just in case. You ever ask yourself if God was more important than your husband or kids? Well, I did and the answer brought me to my knees... again. I didn't pay tithe this week, or last. Now I'm behind with God and it's a suffocating feeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 04:44 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,181,746 times
There's lot to say about the subject, but the bottom line is it comes from the heart; if it's in your heart to (cheerfully) give, then do - but if it's not, then don't.

There's actually a kingdom principle that the "rich" is in the "tithe", because the Hebrew word for tithe contains the word rich - you can Google it, I'm short on time.

Old 12-02-2015, 05:00 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robyncae View Post

Over the summer my husband lost his job, it was brutal. It was a bad situation and brought us both to our knees, in a crippling way. We held onto each other and both of us settled it in our hearts that God would provide, and He did!

I wish I could rant forever about how hard we were hit but I cant. I wish I could explain how, ironically, I was okay with it when it happened and how it was actually a peaceful time for both of us. It was beautiful and dark and a thousand other things, but at the end of the day we were brought out of it. God did it for us and me and my husband talked and talked about how much we owe Him. It was one of those things you just knew, like when I was saved.

Now, we are making money again. Bills are being paid, still struggling with old debts but we pay the vitals now... child support, groceries, insurance, rent, etc, and we can tuck a little away in savings. We started to pay tithe, and it felt awesome. We owed Him! I had excitement in my heart for it but now... it's so much money for tithe. A lot. It is more than a month pay of a friend of ours made who gave us the last of his money when we had to camp in a tent. Yes, it's 10%, but it's 10% that should go to our debts or savings, or kids?!

We don't even have a church at the moment but we give it to my childhood church, a small town church where I was saved.

I'm just feeling resentful and angry about it. I want to grab that 10% and put it towards anything else, just in case. You ever ask yourself if God was more important than your husband or kids? Well, I did and the answer brought me to my knees... again. I didn't pay tithe this week, or last. Now I'm behind with God and it's a suffocating feeling.
So don't pay it. Tithe is for those who feel up to it. It is intended as a free gift (like God's grace). If you don't feel up to it, just tell the minister. If he doesn't understand, walk.

Tithing is for you to give back. I don't do it, because I've never had steady salary, and I believe it's your decision.

Old 12-02-2015, 05:26 AM

689 posts, read 494,929 times
Quote:

The deity doesn't need your money if it exists, if you have money to spare give it to humans who are in need!

Old 12-02-2015, 07:23 AM

33,236 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:

You are feeling resentful and angry, and suffocated over a misconception on your part. There is a difference between tithing and spiritual giving. Tithing was an Old Testament requirement under the Mosaic Law in which the Israelites were to give 10 percent of their crops and livestock. It was income tax. Tithing was never a requirement imposed on the New Testament church. Members of the church are under no obligation to give a set percentage of income to the church.

Spiritual giving on the other hand comes from the heart. Whatever amount you are motivated to give is fine.
2 Corinthians 9:7 Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
Giving is a form of worship. If you are not giving from the heart it is meaningless to God. Just give whatever amount, however much or little that you feel like giving out of gratitude and love for God. On the other hand, if you are a member of a local church, and you said that you are not, you should help the church meet its needs. But again, the amount depends on you. There is no ten percent requirement.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:52 AM

689 posts, read 494,929 times
Humans are much more important than any deity, and their needs should always come first.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:00 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Bottom line: God does not need money; the church does. God would not ask you to pay him for you to be saved; the church does.

Worship at home and stop tithing.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:18 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:

Where does it tell you to tithe 10%?...

Old 12-02-2015, 10:48 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Where does it tell you to tithe 10%?...

Every Baptist I know thinks it's a mandatory 10%

Old 12-02-2015, 10:53 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,380,276 times
There is no set rule about tithing. If I remember correctly, the old 10% rule had to do mostly with supporting the Priesthood during the Torah days and it wasn't necessarily 10% of their money, it was 10% of whatever they had to give so it could be livestock or grains or whatever. With the change in covenant and the Jerusalem Temple long destroyed, this rule doesn't apply to modern Christians the same way and giving is based off of whatever you can give with joy and kindness. Many Churches these days still often pull off Hermeneutical Gymnastics to try and justifiy the 10% giving to their Church. Luckily, there does seem to be a growing number that are at least somewhat honest about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity