Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 04:49 AM

7,530 posts, read 3,030,030 times

Advertisements

The doctrine of being accounted righteous (Justification by faith) is a long held, and in my opinion, for what it is worth, a wonderful expression of the Lord.

My question to us today=

Is being "accounted" righteous synonomous with "being made" righteous"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 08:03 AM

11,102 posts, read 7,168,155 times
If you live an honorable life, you don't need to be seen as righteous or glorified. It's those with egos who need the praise and applause.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
If you live an honorable life, you don't need to be seen as righteous or glorified. It's those with egos who need the praise and applause.
Friend: It is not a matter of being seen as righteous, because only the Living God sees into the spirit and soul of a man! Man can behold "an honorable"life and judge accordingly. Regarding praise and applause, I could not care less!

"Consider the experience of Abraham; as the scripture says, "He believed God, and because of his faith God accepted him as righteous."

https://www.biblestudytools.com/gala...6-compare.html

Again: Is being accounted righteous synonymous with being made righteous?

Old 06-04-2018, 11:53 AM

45,584 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post
The doctrine of being accounted righteous (Justification by faith) is a long held, and in my opinion, for what it is worth, a wonderful expression of the Lord.

My question to us today=

As long as it is righteousness based on Jesus' account and not our account... then it is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
With regards to God, how we live will not cut it. If we sinned once (which we all have done), then it is as though we have broken all of the laws according to God. It is the reason God sent Christ to die and redeem mankind. It has nothing to do with praise or applause because it's not righteousness based on ourselves.

Old 06-04-2018, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
As long as it is righteousness based on Jesus' account and not our account... then it is correct.
Our account really does not matter a great deal. The KJV records being "made the righteousness of God in him." Below are some of the other translations..

https://www.biblestudytools.com/2-co...1-compare.html

Every person who places faith in Jesus Christ is "accounted" righteous (imputed righteousness. "Being made", on the other hand, speaks of a process like the "be being" (present continuous tense) of the anointing of the Spirit.

ginomai: to come into being, to happen, to become

1096 gínomai – properly, to emerge, become, transitioning from one point (realm, condition) to another. 1096 (gínomai) fundamentally means "become" (becoming, became) so it is not an exact equivalent to the ordinary equative verb "to be" (is, was, will be) as with 1510 /eimí (1511 /eínai, 2258 /ēn).

1096 (ginomai) means "to become, and signifies a change of condition, state or place" (Vine, Unger, White, NT, 109).

M. Vincent, "1096 (gínomai) means to come into being/manifestation implying motion, movement, or growth" (at 2 Pet 1:4). Thus it is used for God's actions as emerging from eternity and becoming (showing themselves) in time (physical space)

http://biblehub.com/greek/1096.htm

#1096 gínomai – properly, to emerge, become, transitioning from one point (realm, condition) to another. 1096 (gínomai) fundamentally means "become" (becoming, became) so it is not an exact equivalent to the ordinary equative verb "to be" (is, was, will be) as with 1510 /eimí (1511 /eínai, 2258 /ēn).

1096 (ginomai) means "to become, and signifies a change of condition, state or place"
(Vine, Unger, White, NT, 109).

M. Vincent, "1096 (gínomai) means to come into being/manifestation implying motion, movement, or growth" (at 2 Pet 1:4). Thus it is used for God's actions as emerging from eternity and becoming (showing themselves) in time (physical space)

Last edited by Rose2Luv; 06-04-2018 at 05:00 PM..

Old 06-04-2018, 07:41 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,468,191 times
I'm not sure I believe in "accounted" righteous. Correct me if I'm misinterpreting what you're saying, but it seems like "accounted" means you're righteous because you have proclaimed your faith. To me, that's "performing" righteousness. I believe we are made righteous through trial. The righteous will be tested. Righteousness has to be in your heart. This is outlined in Hebrews. I can't quote specific scriptures (because I don't study them out of context) but the Bible talks about empty rituals. If you are not living the word through deed, your ritual performances don't matter.

Old 06-05-2018, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
I'm not sure I believe in "accounted" righteous. Correct me if I'm misinterpreting what you're saying, but it seems like "accounted" means you're righteous because you have proclaimed your faith. To me, that's "performing" righteousness. I believe we are made righteous through trial. The righteous will be tested. Righteousness has to be in your heart. This is outlined in Hebrews. I can't quote specific scriptures (because I don't study them out of context) but the Bible talks about empty rituals. If you are not living the word through deed, your ritual performances don't matter.
In Christian theology, justification is God's act of removing the guilt and penalty of sin while at the same time making a sinner righteous through Christ's atoning sacrifice. ... In Lutheranism and Calvinism, righteousness from God is viewed as being credited to the sinner's account through faith alone, without works.

Gal. 3:6

https://www.biblestudytools.com/gala...6-compare.html

Treemoni, thank you for a thoughtful post. If you find "accounted" not to your liking, try reckoned or credited, or "put to his account". Faith in/into Jesus Christ places an individual in a position of righteousness without any single work of any kind. You spoke of trial in your post, and assuredly, trial of our faith in many various circumstances is without question. I only know this, being reckoned, or credited to ones account, is glorious banking in the Bank of Heaven, but Abba requires much, much more, the ongoing working of His grace in being made the righteousness of God in Him.

Last edited by Rose2Luv; 06-05-2018 at 04:04 AM..

Old 06-05-2018, 04:39 AM

45,584 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Technical version...

Because God sees a person have true faith in His Son (death for sins, resurrection to new life)... that person is given (from God) Jesus' credentials of righteousness (Jesus Christ in believers by indwelling of the Holy Spirit).

One sin was enough to remove Adam and Eve (and all descendants) from God's presence. Being that Jesus never sinned, it is only His righteousness that reconciles people to Christ.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:50 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,029,142 times
Quote:

My question to us today=

The two are just different perspectives, IMO. Being accounted righteous is the Father's perspective on our being; as part of Him. This is a non-dualistic view. There is nothing separate and He is all in all. No-one needs saving by someone else.

The being made righteous is our struggle to crucify self - being perfected - based on the judgements and perceptions of mortal mind that defile us.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:54 AM

6,366 posts, read 2,920,032 times
Quote:

My question to us today=

The only ones who will be accounted righteous in Gods view= those who live now-24/7, 365 doing Jesus' Fathers will( Matt 7:21)-- Few even know him. John 15:20-21
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity