Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 03:03 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times

Advertisements

For so long the church has been deciding upon what is right, and what is wrong by silencing the opinions of others. The moral majority has deemed abortion, same-sex marriage, and the right to bear arms to be the sole focus of morality, but the information age is revealing the moral-majority 1) isn’t “moral” 2) neither are they the majority. “Fox News,” TBN, and the 700 Club are no longer the only platforms Christians can speak and be heard from. It’s now in the hands of others to decide what the ethical and moral focus will be.

How the Internet is Killing American Christianity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 03:05 AM

4,541 posts, read 1,160,299 times
Nope, if anything its making it stronger.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:23 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,023,019 times
You could see who antichrist is , as it may not be some body born sometime in the future , but the internet is the tools of the social media who this antichrist will have it mouth , as the antichrist is a lot of people

Old 01-07-2016, 03:37 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,369,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
Nope, if anything its making it stronger.
This.

New ideas don't suddenly make Christianity less valid. That's based on a faulty assumption that somehow the ability to instantly research anything and talk to anyone will point out "inherent" issues with Christianity. The problem with that notion is that Christianity has legitimacy even among scientists, as noted from several scientists becoming theists of some sort (not always attending Christians, so much as believers that there is something out there; that the skeptics suddenly believe in the Force is enough for me).

Not to mention the huge number of fundie trolls on the internet, which find a surprising large following of like-minded people.

So no, I haven't found that true at all.

Also, you see evidence to the contrary right here, with your own eyes. A Christian forum, doing fairly well, on the internet.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:59 AM

150 posts, read 97,180 times
What the internet has done is given the very tiny group who hate God the ability to seem like they are larger. They control sites like this one. Just look at the history of this forum on CD. It is controlled by a very few people and they run off or ban the majority of people who come here and post against them. By having control of places like this they can set back and make false claims like the OP did.

By the way, 700 and TBN have nothing to do with the vast majority of the believers in Christ.

Old 01-07-2016, 05:24 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamFan View Post
What the internet has done is given the very tiny group who hate God the ability to seem like they are larger. They control sites like this one. Just look at the history of this forum on CD. It is controlled by a very few people and they run off or ban the majority of people who come here and post against them. By having control of places like this they can set back and make false claims like the OP did.

By the way, 700 and TBN have nothing to do with the vast majority of the believers in Christ.
Yet, like James Dobson, they claim to have MILLIONS of followers and BILLIONS of dollars in the Cayman Islands..

Old 01-07-2016, 06:14 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Has the internet KILLED Christianity?
On the contrary, it is used to spread the Gospel to places which have been very difficult to reach before. Millions of people have found Christ in those places thanks to the internet, and 'internet missionaries'.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:34 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,304,460 times
There is absolutely no proof that the internet is being used to create millions of new christians.

Somebody posted recently how fundamentalists use numbers for their convenience, on the one hand only a few are saved and few find the narrow gate, but when they want to argue that christianity is thriving, millions are converting. Talk about moving the goalposts.

Take this forum for example, rarely do you see a new convert posting on here, what you do see though is many posting who have walked away from fundamentalist beliefs they hold. Is that down to the internet ? Who knows. I am an avid reader and i love what the internet offers in the way of reading material. I was a borderline fundamentalist christian universalist when i first started posting on here, so the reading material i have found through the internet definitely killed a form of christianity in me.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:57 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
One "internet missionary" site alone, where I used to volunteer, have had over a 1.4 billion visits over the years, and over a hundred million people have indicated they have made the decision to follow Christ. Most of the visitors come from countries like Iran, China, India where people are hard to reach because many countries do not even allow missionaries.

Thanks to the internet, Christianity is spreading like a wildfire in places where it has not spread before.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 01-07-2016 at 08:06 AM..

Old 01-07-2016, 08:14 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,203,264 times
The ministry I used to work for broadcasts audio in 4 different languages via the web... English, Spanish, Vietnamese, and Mandarin Chinese.

The internet is simply a tool. It comes down to how people choose to use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity