Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 12:58 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
That was pretty much a political rally... especially from about the 40 minute mark to the hour mark. It had all of the standard mentions of Fox News, Boehner, Ryan, Falwell, etc... He started a section with gun violence and extrapolated into random acts of political violence defined as no health care, anti-unions, and so forth. It ended with a plea to get out and vote before ending with some biblical platitudes. No mentions of Jesus Christ until once after the hour mark.

The kingdom of heaven is not about earthly political power. For us on earth, it about helping people meet their needs with the goal of having them see God in the process - in hope that they believe the gospel which leads to eternal life.
Strange, I was immediately reminded of a CLASSIC OLD TIME REVIVAL..A real serious come to JESUS meeting.

Why some want to see politics when there is only COMPASSION, LOVE And MERCY (that is what Jesus taught and why he was KILLED) and a real AWAKENING of the SPIRIT is beneath me..

Barber NEVER says the kingdom of heaven is about political power, he does say the kingdom of heaven MUST be about JUSTICE and MERCY...

MICAH 6:8
Attached Thumbnails
Reverend William Barber II takes on Prosperity Gospel-naked_theology-god.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 01:12 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Strange, I was immediately reminded of a CLASSIC OLD TIME REVIVAL..A real serious come to JESUS meeting.

Why some want to see politics when there is only COMPASSION, LOVE And MERCY (that is what Jesus taught and why he was KILLED) and a real AWAKENING of the SPIRIT is beneath me..

Barber NEVER says the kingdom of heaven is about political power, he does say the kingdom of heaven MUST be about JUSTICE and MERCY...

MICAH 6:8
Did you listen to the whole message?

Old 01-19-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Did you listen to the whole message?
Up and unto the last second...TWICE...

And I hear the name of JESUS at least 5 times in the first 15 minutes...

Old 01-19-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Up and unto the last second...TWICE...

And I hear the name of JESUS at least 5 times in the first 15 minutes...
Yeah... you got the intro from others, and his intro... but He is absent from the meat of the "sermon". The total "sermon" was about a little over an hour.

And knowing how you are, you are quiet on it being a political rally. That's what it was. I think you understand that from listening to it.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:11 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
There are many scriptures which will bring a giving heart and God will bless there lives ....................... Like Deuteronomy 15:10 ``Give generously to him and do so without a grudging heart , then because of this the Lord will bless you in all your work and everything you put you hand to .``.....................In Malachi 3:10 ....``Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse , so that there may be food in my house, and prove me now in this , says the Lord of Host, if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows ``........................From Luke 3:11 ..Jesus said ... ``The man who has two tunics is to share with him who has none, and he who has food is to do likewise ``..................Then Jesus said from Luke 6:38 ..``Give and it will be given to you . then will pour into your lap a good measure , pressed down , shaken together and running over , for by your standard of measure it will be measured to you in return ``.....................Then from 2 Corinthians 9:6-8............Now this I say he who sows sparingly , will also reap sparingly , and He who sow bountifully will also reap bountifully ..Each one must do Just as he has purposed in his heart , not grudgingly or under compulsion for God loves a cheerful giver . And God is able to make all grace abound to you , so that always having all sufficiency in everything , you may have an abundance for every good deed ................ See there are many scriptures from the bible that teaches the believer to give and God will release His blessings of His grace , which is the riches of Christ , no matter what the deniers of Jesus Words will say .........

Old 01-19-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Yeah... you got the intro from others, and his intro... but He is absent from the meat of the "sermon". The total "sermon" was about a little over an hour.

And knowing how you are, you are quiet on it being a political rally. That's what it was. I think you understand that from listening to it.
As The Reverend said at the end--

COME TO MEETINGS..ALL ARE WELCOMED....

As you judge me, so shall he judge you...

It is a great REVIVAL (i believe Barber used that word more than 10 times?) held to commemorate the birthday of a great AMERICAN PROPHET who was MURDERED for his belief in COMPASSION, JUSTICE and MERCY.

A man who took up the cross of Christ, and carried it into a world that received him not and rejected the very same message Jesus shared and took him to the cross the the very same COMPASSION, JUSTICE and MERCY..

Old 01-19-2016, 05:27 PM

Quote:
As The Reverend said at the end--

COME TO MEETINGS..ALL ARE WELCOMED....

As you judge me, so shall he judge you...

It is a great REVIVAL (i believe Barber used that word more than 10 times?) held to commemorate the birthday of a great AMERICAN PROPHET who was MURDERED for his belief in COMPASSION, JUSTICE and MERCY.

A man who took up the cross of Christ, and carried it into a world that received him not and rejected the very same message Jesus shared and took him to the cross the the very same COMPASSION, JUSTICE and MERCY..
That was not a 501c3 compliant sermon.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:20 PM

Quote:
  • Preaching the gospel to the poor
  • Proclaiming release to the captives
  • Recovery of sight to the blind
  • Set free the oppressed
Think about it... he didn't say feed the poor, or give money to the poor - he said preach the gospel.

He said to proclaim release to the captives - as opposed using physical force or action or political activity.

Recovery of sight to the blind. Did he heal everyone? No. Did he set free those enslaved during his day? No.

This is all about the kingdom of heaven. These are all about spiritual poverty, spiritual captivity, spiritual blindness and oppression. This is about our spiritual existence beyond this current earth.
And he had about 3 loaves and a few fish and he fed 5000--later Jesus said GO AND DO LIKEWISE...

Old 01-19-2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
That was not a 501c3 compliant sermon.
IN deed it is..he never once directed anyone to vote for a specific candidate of party..He just said VOTE..

Old 01-19-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
IN deed it is..he never once directed anyone to vote for a specific candidate of party..He just said VOTE..
Yeah - I realized that after I posted it... but at least you acknowledged that it indeed was, at least, somewhat political.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity