Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 08:13 PM

20 posts, read 20,549 times

Advertisements

What do you think? Its interesting tradition, not as odd as people may think since Catholic Nuns have in a sense have married God as well by giving physical relationships and devoting their life to God's work on earth. Here the difference is a woman married Jesus and doesn't have to live like a nun.

Quote:
Jessica Hayes, an Indiana high school teacher, married the love of her life Aug. 15, in a touching, albeit irregular, ceremony. Contrary to what one might expect, Hayes was not marrying a boyfriend.

She was marrying Jesus Christ.

Standing alone in a bridal gown at the altar of the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception in Fort Wayne, Ind., the 38-year old dropped to the floor. When the ceremony finished, Hayes joined a small, yet deeply devout group of Catholics known as "consecrated virgins."

She became one of just 200 women in the United States and is currently the only consecrated virgin at the Fort Wayne-South Bend Diocese.

"Jessica, like Mary and the many consecrated virgins in the early history of the Church, several of whom are canonized saints, has heard the call of the Lord to live as His spouse," Bishop Kevin Rhoades said in his homily. "The Church confirms this call as authentic. Jessica is making the courageous choice that our Blessed Mother made — the choice of virginity in order to consecrate herself totally to the love of God."

Consecrated virgins occupy a uniquely private role in the Catholic faith. These individuals are not nuns, nor are they supported financially by any diocese. Instead, women who have chosen to become consecrated virgins live their lives traditionally, but dedicate themselves to prayer, penance and service for their faith and church. Consecrated virgins commit themselves to lifelong celibacy, modest dress and apostolic activity. There are only about 3,000 such women on earth.

Hayes notes, in an article she wrote for OSV Newsweekly, she chose to become a consecrated virgin because she wished to continue teaching and serving students as a private individual. Many consecrated virgins become brides of Christ, rather than nuns, because they wish to continue their daily work in addition to dedicating themselves to their faith.

"I longed for one thing I didn't yet have: to give myself in a way I couldn't take back," Hayes wrote. "It seemed that the idea of consecrated virginity lived in the world appeared to me through this discernment of my joys. In a moment of perfect clarity, I felt I was being offered everything that I most wanted."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 09:36 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyFancy View Post
What do you think? Its interesting tradition, not as odd as people may think since Catholic Nuns have in a sense have married God as well by giving physical relationships and devoting their life to God's work on earth. Here the difference is a woman married Jesus and doesn't have to live like a nun.
Consecrated virgins can be male too! BTW, Priests also marry Jesus Christ when they receive their ring in the ordination ceremony and make their vows.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:49 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,333,122 times
well Paul in 1 Cor. 7 seems to have thought that virgins of both sexes had some benefits in being able to supposedly devote themselves wholly to God and not be concerned with the cares of the world (or pleasing their spouse) so this appears to have been a potential option for certain believers for a long time. one may go even further back to what Jesus in Matt 19: 11-12 said about those making themselves "...eunuchs (i.e. abstain from sex) for the kingdom of God...". that said, IMHO think every Christian married, un-married, whatever their station or condition in life has both an obligation and an opportunity to try to live their best life for and in Christ to love God and their neighbor in whatever ways they can.

may God bless and help this woman to do what is right for her.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 02-24-2016 at 10:29 PM..

Old 02-24-2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Consecrated virgins can be male too! BTW, Priests also marry Jesus Christ when they receive their ring in the ordination ceremony and make their vows.
Oh yes of course, Priest are also expected to live a life celeblicy in part of their devotion to God.

Last edited by NancyFancy; 02-24-2016 at 10:36 PM..

Old 02-24-2016, 10:58 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,709,991 times
The tragedy of priests being forced to be celibate is that it was unnatural for them and they turned to molesting children. I have never understood why the Catholic church would put such a requirement on any man - it's just wrong and unbiblical and caused a lot of suffering and damage to many children.

Old 02-24-2016, 11:22 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,333,122 times
except that AFAIK priests molesting children (TERRIBLE as it is) is really not especially more common in priests than the incidence in teachers, coaches, scout leaders, social workers, family members, ministers of other denominations, and similar situations that have adults dealing with children. IOW, there are lots of child molesters that are NOT celibate priests so it's hard to make the discipline of celibacy the prime motivator for this crime.

FWIW, an article in Newsweek magazine (april 7, 2010) said that from the available evidence at that time that quoted Ernie Allen then president of the National Center For Abused And Missing Children as saying, "We don't see the Catholic Church as a hotbed of this (child abuse) or as a place that has a bigger problem than anyone else. I can tell you without equivocation that we have seen cases in MANY religious settings from traveling evangelists to mainstream ministers to rabbis and others." this article has more to say and you can probably access it by simply putting "newsweek priests commit no more abuse than other males"

this is NOT to whitewash or diminish the EVIL that has been done by certain individuals who committed the crimes and either the well-intentioned stupidity or evil culpability of those in authority in the church who failed to stop it but to make child abuse somehow ONLY a "catholic thing" or just about celibacy in Catholic clergy doesn't fit the facts.

BTW, the biblical references made earlier seem to indicate that celibacy was at least an option for some believers from the get-go.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 02-24-2016 at 11:40 PM..

Old 02-25-2016, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
except that AFAIK priests molesting children (TERRIBLE as it is) is really not especially more common in priests than the incidence in teachers, coaches, scout leaders, social workers, family members, ministers of other denominations, and similar situations that have adults dealing with children. IOW, there are lots of child molesters that are NOT celibate priests so it's hard to make the discipline of celibacy the prime motivator for this crime.

FWIW, an article in Newsweek magazine (april 7, 2010) said that from the available evidence at that time that quoted Ernie Allen then president of the National Center For Abused And Missing Children as saying, "We don't see the Catholic Church as a hotbed of this (child abuse) or as a place that has a bigger problem than anyone else. I can tell you without equivocation that we have seen cases in MANY religious settings from traveling evangelists to mainstream ministers to rabbis and others." this article has more to say and you can probably access it by simply putting "newsweek priests commit no more abuse than other males"

this is NOT to whitewash or diminish the EVIL that has been done by certain individuals who committed the crimes and either the well-intentioned stupidity or evil culpability of those in authority in the church who failed to stop it but to make child abuse somehow ONLY a "catholic thing" or just about celibacy in Catholic clergy doesn't fit the facts.

BTW, the biblical references made earlier seem to indicate that celibacy was at least an option for some believers from the get-go.
Exactly, very true . I am glad you brought up child molestation by scouts leaders, I just read a terrible case out of Minnesota just about that. Very sad.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:37 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
The virgin rule was more of the Israel rule by God than for the Christian, as this would a legal idea for complete salvation for the Israel faith would be under the law , where as Christians have their righteousness from Jesus Christ , so consecration with the virgin is not a mandatory idea from God for salvation , so If nuns and priest do this than that is their preference .........Then there is a few which corrupted them selves and broke the virgin rule and abused children , which is more of a faithless issue and grace of God would be absent on these people lives as Jesus gave the promise ``My grace is sufficient for you , for my power is made perfect in weakness``...........See there are the 144,000 people of Israel who were saved by the lamb of God , as they were not defiled with women , for they were virgins , as they were the first fruits of God and the lamb from Revelation 14:4

Old 02-25-2016, 05:38 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,617,033 times
I wonder why Jesus needs so many wives. Do those women go bridal gown shopping, getting all poofy?

Old 02-25-2016, 06:20 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I wonder why Jesus needs so many wives. Do those women go bridal gown shopping, getting all poofy?
Joseph "JESUS" Smith thought it was a great idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity