Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 02:14 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,501,042 times

Advertisements

I was in a Bible study last night and the teacher read a verse in Matthew that I had never really noticed before. I've probably read it many times, but it never spoke to me like it did this time. Here it is in context, but I want to focus on verses 36 and 37.

Matthew 12:33-37
33 "Make a tree good and its fruit will be good, or make a tree bad and its fruit will be bad, for a tree is recognized by its fruit. 34 You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. 35 The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him. 36 But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. 37 For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned."

Every careless word we speak will be judged. Wow. When I want to put my best foot forward, so to speak, I carefully measure each word before I speak it. According to Jesus, those are not the words He is concerned about. He is going to be looking at those times when someone cut me off on the freeway...what did I call that person? Or when I get impatient with my children...what was my reaction? Or when I stubbed my toe...what word popped out of my mouth? It is at these times that our "true" selves tend to come to the surface.

Like I said, I had heard this passage of scripture many times before, but most people stop reading at verse 34 (For out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks.). These verses really convicted me yesterday, and have been on my heart today. I am having to really examine what I let burst forth when angered.

How about everyone else? Do these verses speak to any of you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 02:24 PM

479 posts, read 1,142,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
I was in a Bible study last night and the teacher read a verse in Matthew that I had never really noticed before. I've probably read it many times, but it never spoke to me like it did this time. Here it is in context, but I want to focus on verses 36 and 37.

Matthew 12:33-37
33 "Make a tree good and its fruit will be good, or make a tree bad and its fruit will be bad, for a tree is recognized by its fruit. 34 You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. 35 The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him. 36 But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken. 37 For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned."

Every careless word we speak will be judged. Wow. When I want to put my best foot forward, so to speak, I carefully measure each word before I speak it. According to Jesus, those are not the words He is concerned about. He is going to be looking at those times when someone cut me off on the freeway...what did I call that person? Or when I get impatient with my children...what was my reaction? Or when I stubbed my toe...what word popped out of my mouth? It is at these times that our "true" selves tend to come to the surface.

Like I said, I had heard this passage of scripture many times before, but most people stop reading at verse 34 (For out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks.). These verses really convicted me yesterday, and have been on my heart today. I am having to really examine what I let burst forth when angered.

Sure. We do indeed need to make sure that we watch what we say. Perhaps it's just best to pray to be lead by God in everything that we do, so we don't have to worry about what we say.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:26 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,068,666 times
Bigthirsty hoping what he "says" doesn't include what he "types"..

Old 02-07-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Bigthirsty hoping what he "says" doesn't include what he "types"..

LOL...

I find that I'm very careful how I word things that I type. It helps that I read through it again before I post it. I wish that we had an "editing" phase for everything that comes out of our mouths in real-life.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:31 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,271,459 times
Quote:
Yes, they've spoken to me, and I've wondered about them. Every word? Thank God for the blood!

Old 02-07-2008, 02:33 PM

23,014 posts, read 34,376,254 times
What we say reveals what is in our heart. The words that we use is an indication of what is in our heart. The only way to clean up our speech is to allow the Holy Spirit to fill us with the right attitudes and motives then our speech will be cleansed at its source.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
LOL...

I find that I'm very careful how I word things that I type. It helps that I read through it again before I post it. I wish that we had an "editing" phase for everything that comes out of our mouths in real-life.
We also have to pray to God to instill our hearts with Love for him as well. the lips/words can be deceiving - and often times, I have to ponder myself on this verse -

Matthew 15:8
This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.

So I'd say to all people, pray more to God about changing inside of your heart instead of the words that come out of their mouths.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
What we say reveals what is in our heart. The words that we use is an indication of what is in our heart. The only way to clean up our speech is to allow the Holy Spirit to fill us with the right attitudes and motives then our speech will be cleansed at its source.
You beat me to the punch..Amen sistah.. Might want to add that we ask God to clear our conciences of guilt and sinful thoughts as well. These things also lead to problems regarding what comes out of the mouth...

Old 02-07-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
That is so true. It just seems like just about the time when I start to think that I'm doing ok, something will happen and out will pop something that is not very Christ-like. I know that I'm not perfect, and I've come a long way from where I started, but I've still got a long way to go.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:44 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,271,459 times
Quote:
I know that I'm not perfect, and I've come a long way from where I started, but I've still got a long way to go.
And really, that's a good sign.. that we're recognizing our mistakes. It'd be too bad if people were constantly offended at our speech and we didn't realize or acknowledge that anything was wrong! I don't think we'll ever be perfect, but that shouldn't stop us from trying... (tho it seems like the harder we try on our own strength, the more we fail!) The Holy Spirit will lead us in sanctification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity