Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 02:24 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times

Advertisements

Pope Francis's New Document on Marriage: 12 Things to Know and Share | Catholic Answers

Find out the truth before the secular media gets a hold of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2016, 02:55 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Pope Francis's New Document on Marriage: 12 Things to Know and Share | Catholic Answers

Find out the truth before the secular media gets a hold of it.
Something tells me that it will be commented on a lot, but not actually read by a lot.

Old 04-08-2016, 03:00 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,617,033 times
Pope Francis says no one can be condemned forever. I like his path. He is progressing nicely. I do not agree with him about everything, but love him just the same.

Old 04-08-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Pope Francis says no one can be condemned forever. I like his path. He is progressing nicely. I do not agree with him about everything, but love him just the same.
Yah..but he's just a man...so why would you believe him?

Old 04-08-2016, 03:25 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Francis is an extraordinary man.

Old 04-08-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Yah..but he's just a man...so why would you believe him?
Ok frat-boy,

Your comprehension is lacking. Rather than read what I said, you rushed in with this^.
I am disappointed.

I do not agree with him about everything. I am free to take his words and make my own assessment of his intent and sincerity. I do not believe, or agree with everything he believes.

I still really, really like the guy. Can't help it. I am an admitted fangirl. By no means would I place his judgement over mine about God, though.

I do not hold Pope Francis being male against him, either. The Pope, being a man was the result of his father's DNA. Simple science, Viz.

Old 04-08-2016, 03:34 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Interesting...

In articulating the Church’s basic teaching, it states:
Christian marriage, as a reflection of the union between Christ and his Church, is fully realized in the union between a man and a woman who give themselves to each other in a free, faithful and exclusive love, who belong to each other until death and are open to the transmission of life, and are consecrated by the sacrament, which grants them the grace to become a domestic church and a leaven of new life for society (AL 292).
Later, it states:
In order to avoid all misunderstanding, I would point out that in no way must the Church desist from proposing the full ideal of marriage, God’s plan in all its grandeur. . . .
A lukewarm attitude, any kind of relativism, or an undue reticence in proposing that ideal, would be a lack of fidelity to the Gospel and also of love on the part of the Church for young people themselves.
To show understanding in the face of exceptional situations never implies dimming the light of the fuller ideal, or proposing less than what Jesus offers to the human being (AL 307).

During the Synod, we discussed the situation of families whose members include persons who experience same-sex attraction, a situation not easy either for parents or for children.
We would like before all else to reaffirm that every person, regardless of sexual orientation, ought to be respected in his or her dignity and treated with consideration, while ‘every sign of unjust discrimination’ is to be carefully avoided, particularly any form of aggression and violence.
Such families should be given respectful pastoral guidance, so that those who manifest a homosexual orientation can receive the assistance they need to understand and fully carry out God’s will in their lives.
In discussing the dignity and mission of the family, the Synod Fathers observed that, “as for proposals to place unions between homosexual persons on the same level as marriage, there are absolutely no grounds for considering homosexual unions to be in any way similar or even remotely analogous to God’s plan for marriage and family.”
It is unacceptable “that local Churches should be subjected to pressure in this matter and that international bodies should make financial aid to poor countries dependent on the introduction of laws to establish ‘marriage’ between persons of the same sex”

Old 04-08-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Ok frat-boy,

Your comprehension is lacking. Rather than read what I said, you rushed in with this^.
I am disappointed.

I do not agree with him about everything. I am free to take his words and make my own assessment of his intent and sincerity. I do not believe, or agree with everything he believes.

I still really, really like the guy. Can't help it. I am an admitted fangirl. By no means would I place his judgement over mine about God, though.

I do not hold Pope Francis being male against him, either. The Pope, being a man was the result of his father's DNA. Simple science, Viz.

OK....I thought you had said you had a big distrust for the Bible because it was written by men (human beings). I always assumed it was less about gender than about the supposed errors in the work of humans.

Old 04-08-2016, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
OK....I thought you had said you had a big distrust for the Bible because it was written by men (human beings). I always assumed it was less about gender than about the supposed errors in the work of humans.
Your claim is men wrote the bible. Except for your speculation about Hebrews. Your claim is, they were inspired by God. For the most part, the bible represents male fantasy and superstition.

Albeit there were not many educated people in ancient times. Reading and writing was and expensive endeavor, and most of the poor like Jesus did not read. They passed on the Tanakh in an oral tradition. Human error is bound to present itself.

Once in a while you get a glimpse of God, and the real greatness of Jesus in the Bible. Teeny tiny glimpse. I think the error of men is silencing the voice of women.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:23 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,593,450 times
Quote:
Although the Pope was only speaking informally, and specifically in reference
to the Church's administering of Sacraments, please understand that the Church
never was in the business of condemning souls forever. Only God can do that,
as Jesus said in Matthew 10:28.
For example, this is the fiercest penalty the Church can deliver:

Anathema remains a major excommunication which is to be promulgated with great solemnity. A formula for this ceremony was drawn up by Pope Zachary (741-52) in the chapter Debent duodecim sacerdotes, Cause xi, quest. iii. The Roman Pontifical reproduces it in the chapter Ordo excommunicandi et absolvendi, distinguishing three sorts of excommunication: minor excommunication, formerly incurred by a person holding communication with anyone under the ban of excommunication; major excommunication, pronounced by the Pope in reading a sentence; and anathema, or the penalty incurred by crimes of the gravest order, and solemnly promulgated by the Pope. In passing this sentence, the pontiff is vested in amice, stole, and a violet cope, wearing his mitre, and assisted by twelve priests clad in their surplices and holding lighted candles. He takes his seat in front of the altar or in some other suitable place, and pronounces the formula of anathema which ends with these words: "Wherefore in the name of God the All-powerful, Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, of the Blessed Peter, Prince of the Apostles, and of all the Saints, in virtue of the power which has been given us of binding and loosing in Heaven and on earth, we deprive N—himself and all his accomplices and all his abettors of the Communion of the Body and Blood of Our Lord, we separate him from the society of all Christians, we exclude him from the bosom of our Holy Mother the Church in Heaven and on earth, we declare him excommunicated and anathematized and we judge him condemned to eternal fire with Satan and his angels and all the reprobate, so long as he will not burst the fetters of the demon, do penance and satisfy the Church; we deliver him to Satan to mortify his body, that his soul may be saved on the day of judgment." Whereupon all the assistants respond: "Fiat, fiat, fiat." The pontiff and the twelve priests then cast to the ground the lighted candles they have been carrying, and notice is sent in writing to the priests and neighboring bishops of the name of the one who has been excommunicated and the cause of his excommunication, in order that they may have no communication with him. Although he is delivered to Satan and his angels, he can still, and is even bound to repent. The Pontifical gives the form for absolving him and reconciling him with the Church. The promulgation of the anathema with such solemnity is well calculated to strike terror to the criminal and bring him to a state of repentance, especially if the Church adds to it the ceremony of the Maranatha.

See 1 Corinthians 5:5, 6:22
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity