Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 06:46 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,048,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
We are in a Christian forum... I am referring to unbelievers in Jesus Christ.

Has nothing to do with respect... it's simply on the basis of a person believing in Christ or not...
No, actually, it has a lot to do with respect and there is a constant mystery around here as to why people are "so nasty toward" Christians. Do you really want to learn the answers to such questions or not? If not, that's fine. You're free and over 21, I presume. Otherwise, I think what I said absolutely has merit, has a place (HERE, on the Christianity forum) and highlights a hypocrisy that may indeed be causing a whole lot of the troubles Christians complain of as far as the opposition they receive.

Your comment was a very basic, very direct illustration of how your thinking, as a Christian, may be bigoted, one-sided, short-sighted and yes, offensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAOU812 View Post
It means this.
LOL, couldn't rep ya.

+1 for a Simpsons meme.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:26 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,077,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
No, it is God.
It seems that you're speaking on His behalf...

Old 05-25-2016, 04:29 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,077,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
I think you are referring to OT prophesies such as Jeremiah about a new covenant with the house of Judah and Israel right?

It's true that there are yet future promises to be fulfilled to the Jewish people:

Jeremiah 31:27-28 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will sow the house of Israel and the house of Judah with the seed of man, and with the seed of beast. And it shall come to pass, that like as I have watched over them, to pluck up, and to break down, and to throw down, and to destroy, and to afflict; so will I watch over them, to build, and to plant, saith the LORD.

There is a new covenant indeed with the house of Israel and of Judah, and part of that new covenant is the ingrafting of the Gentiles in the Olive Tree. And there is a hardening of unbelief after they rejected their Mashiach, over Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles has come in. I think the time we are living in now is the time right before Israel will look upon Him whom they've pierced, Yeshua, recognise Him as the Mashiach and mourn over Him like over an only son. (Zech. 12:10, also described in Isaiah 53)

Romans 11:23-27 And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be graffed in: for God is able to graff them in again. For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert graffed contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be graffed into their own olive tree? All Israel Shall Be Saved. For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in. And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

Only when they come to accept Yeshua HaMashiach by faith, will that covenant come to fruition and will the Lord watch over them, to build and to plant. And this is the wonderful new covenant (that is made already, but will be fulfilled when Israel accepts their Mashiach) we can look ahead to:

Jeremiah 31:33-34 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.
And if you would read Isaiah 56...

Old 05-25-2016, 10:17 AM

45,655 posts, read 27,282,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
No, actually, it has a lot to do with respect and there is a constant mystery around here as to why people are "so nasty toward" Christians. Do you really want to learn the answers to such questions or not? If not, that's fine. You're free and over 21, I presume. Otherwise, I think what I said absolutely has merit, has a place (HERE, on the Christianity forum) and highlights a hypocrisy that may indeed be causing a whole lot of the troubles Christians complain of as far as the opposition they receive.

Your comment was a very basic, very direct illustration of how your thinking, as a Christian, may be bigoted, one-sided, short-sighted and yes, offensive.
No it's not, but I understand that I can't control how you take things.

I think you need to look at what you bring to the table as well. When you call people names, as you did above, what do you expect to get back? If you want decent dialogue - present yourself decently, and hopefully it will return to you.

Old 05-25-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
No it's not, but I understand that I can't control how you take things.

I think you need to look at what you bring to the table as well. When you call people names, as you did above, what do you expect to get back? If you want decent dialogue - present yourself decently, and hopefully it will return to you.
Thank you for the advice...are you planning on taking it yourself?

Being passive-aggressively insulting is NO better than "calling someone names"...it's just sneaker.

Way, way sneakier.

My own advice was solid, made sense, addresses something that has been prevalent among certain factions of Christianity since near its beginning, and was fully legitimate. Take it or leave it, but don't attempt to turn it around just because it displeases you to be called out.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:15 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,610,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
How do you interpret this verse from Acts 10:13?

"Kill and eat!"
kill and eat. kill it and grill it.
seems simple enough to me.

Is it the word "kill" that bothers you?

Old 05-25-2016, 06:35 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,888,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
kill and eat. kill it and grill it.
seems simple enough to me.

Is it the word "kill" that bothers you?
Is that all there is to it? A command to eat foreign foods? Another believing Christian has already responded here saying that it represented taking the gospel to foreigners. So what does it mean to "kill and eat" people?

Old 05-25-2016, 06:57 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,341,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
It seems that you're speaking on His behalf...
Why would you say that?. I speak from what rings within me to be true. I actually Learned to reason together, rather than being a closed shop protecting all of my prejudices, biases and misconceptions I had accumulated(especially through fundamentalism) through the years about GOd. I began eating that which fundamentalists told me was unclean.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Is that all there is to it? A command to eat foreign foods? Another believing Christian has already responded here saying that it represented taking the gospel to foreigners. So what does it mean to "kill and eat" people?
People choose what they want to believe is literal and what is allegory in the bible. Christians especially. The snake in Eden is allegory, the Flood is literal, Sodom and Gomorrah is literal, covering one's head is symbolic, marriage between man and woman in Jesus' words REALLY MEANT no homosexuality even though he never once actually mentioned homosexuality, hell is literal...AND symbolic...well, parts are literal...and parts are symbolic, psalms that mention actual kings actually symbolize the eventual coming of the messiah...but the actual messiah was actually literal and actually literally said everything much later attributed to him, and on and on and on with the picking and choosing. In light of this very, very obvious fact, what's wrong with this passage being literal? Why would it have to be symbolic?

"So what does it mean to kill and eat (?)": it means...take an animal, kill it, and eat it. I daresay you can't eat it without killing it first. Well, I guess you COULD but there would be a lot of screaming, writhing and dangerous hooves involved, so...

It COULD symbolize taking the gospel to foreigners. It could represent killing our own negative natures and consuming them into nothing. It could represent the next episode of Breaking Bad. But it MIGHT not represent anything; it might literally mean: kill animals and eat them.

Again, to me it's pretty clear that this was invented in order to bring gentiles into the fold as not enough Jews were buying what the new "Christians" were selling. They were saying: Look! You can still have your pork! We promise! Because our Eternal God...changed His mind.

It's as simple as that. In that way it does indeed tie into taking the message to "foreigners," yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity