Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 07:24 AM

57 posts, read 30,996 times

Advertisements

Still nothing in faith of my God.

But I know my religion how really are Baptism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 07:25 AM

57 posts, read 30,996 times
No church visit since 2002 and 2000 in two different churches in my city.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:28 AM

45,672 posts, read 27,299,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
But you are all just posting words from a book. What is the SUBSTANCE of your faith?

Explain your faith without scriptures, without religious names or terms.
Basically you are asking if Michael Jordan is the best basketball player of all time... prove it without any stats or video or basketball terminology.

My faith is in the person of Jesus Christ... His life, His death, His resurrection. Any further explanation will violate your terms.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:15 AM

33,332 posts, read 26,541,517 times
Quote:
But you are all just posting words from a book. What is the SUBSTANCE of your faith?

Explain your faith without scriptures, without religious names or terms.
Demanding that faith in Christ Jesus be explained without the Scriptures is improper. It is one thing for a person who has already believed in Christ Jesus, when examining his beliefs in his own mind, to think in terms of how the Holy Spirit has made these things known to him. But when talking to someone who is an unbeliever one must provide historical evidence for what he proclaims to be true.

And the Christian faith is based on historical events which were witnessed to, and recorded by those who observed the events. Except for Luke, Mark, and perhaps the writer of Hebrews, the writers of the New Testament were eyewitnesses to Jesus' ministry, and to His resurrection. Peter, Paul, James, and John had first hand knowledge of what they recorded in the Scriptures. And they devoted their lives to proclaiming what they had seen. Peter, Paul, and James were martyred for doing so.

You have to decide whether or not you are willing to accept their testimony concerning Jesus. Did the apostles lie? Were they trying to deceive others? Were they just writing fictional stories? Would they have been willing to subject themselves to a lifetime of suffering, and even martyrdom for what they knew to be a lie, or for fictional stories?

Old 05-30-2016, 09:30 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,891,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Basically you are asking if Michael Jordan is the best basketball player of all time... prove it without any stats or video or basketball terminology.

My faith is in the person of Jesus Christ... His life, His death, His resurrection. Any further explanation will violate your terms.
But you don't even know for certain if Jesus even existed.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:32 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,891,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Demanding that faith in Christ Jesus be explained without the Scriptures is improper. It is one thing for a person who has already believed in Christ Jesus, when examining his beliefs in his own mind, to think in terms of how the Holy Spirit has made these things known to him. But when talking to someone who is an unbeliever one must provide historical evidence for what he proclaims to be true.

And the Christian faith is based on historical events which were witnessed to, and recorded by those who observed the events. Except for Luke, Mark, and perhaps the writer of Hebrews, the writers of the New Testament were eyewitnesses to Jesus' ministry, and to His resurrection. Peter, Paul, James, and John had first hand knowledge of what they recorded in the Scriptures. And they devoted their lives to proclaiming what they had seen. Peter, Paul, and James were martyred for doing so.

You have to decide whether or not you are willing to accept their testimony concerning Jesus. Did the apostles lie? Were they trying to deceive others? Were they just writing fictional stories? Would they have been willing to subject themselves to a lifetime of suffering, and even martyrdom for what they knew to be a lie, or for fictional stories?
Those are false and empty assumptions. You know that.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:37 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,417,968 times
Quote:
Christians tell me that I need to have faith. I feel like I used to have faith that Jesus was a good person and did all of the things that were claimed. But now I feel like the stories represent something different than what is said on the surface level.

But I know that fundamentalists believe that the stories are true, and that they are an encouragement to them. And I believe that they are helped in some way by this faith.

But now, it seems that I am being asked to believe that God came down and performed all of these supernatural acts. Some of them are obviously good things. Feeding and healing. But he said a lot of things that I don't understand.
Who is asking you to believe this?

Quote:
So what exactly am I supposed to put my faith in? I believe that God is good. Is that not enough? I believe that his perfect law is to love other people and to give to others what He has blessed us with. Is that still not enough?
I'll one-up you on this. I don't have faith that there is a good God (though I do have hope). But I do have faith that a good God would not base being good to anyone on whether or not they believe anything. If a god does exist who is demanding we believe various things in order to avoid some horrific end, it is the opposite of a good God, so why would I desire to to be aligned with it?

Quote:
Why do I have to believe this story? I don't know whether it happened or not. I don't even know for sure if God is powerful enough to perform supernatural acts which contradict the universe that he created. I believe it's possible, but I am not sure.

Why is it not enough just to love God and love other people?
It is, or God is not good.

Last edited by Pleroo; 05-30-2016 at 10:04 AM..

Old 05-30-2016, 09:55 AM

33,332 posts, read 26,541,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post

Quote:
Those are false and empty assumptions. You know that.
I know no such thing. I gave you the benefit of the doubt regarding your question in the OP. But your reply here indicates that your question was not sincere. Your statement above shows that you are not willing to accept the objective historical evidence provided by the apostles.

The apostles were historical persons. That fact is attested to by the apostolic church fathers, some of who knew the apostles. That James, Peter, and Paul were martyred is a matter of historical fact and is attested to by the apostolic church fathers. And so again, would the apostles have been willing to suffer and even die for something they knew to be a lie? I think not.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:25 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,407,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
If a god does exist who is demanding we believe various things in order to avoid some horrific end, it is the opposite of a good god, so why would I desire to to be aligned with it?
Religious fanaticism comes from a lack of faith that a God would be good and loving.

It is man who exalts himself to being the judge, jury and executioner of humanity.
And, even if you spoke the truth, many would merely say you're in denial.

They see themselves (and you) as filthy-rags deserving of a wrathful punishment.

Old 05-30-2016, 10:27 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,417,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Religious fanaticism comes from a lack of faith that a God would be good and loving.

It is man who exalts himself to being the judge, jury and executioner of humanity.
And, even if you spoke the truth, many would merely say you're in denial.

They see themselves (and you) as filthy-rags deserving of a wrathful punishment.
So true, Jerwade. That is why I find it so sad that Christianity has dismissed what Paul claimed as it's mission: to be ambassadors to a world that too often suffers under the belief in a wrathful god, of the news that God is not holding the sins of the world against them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity