Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 07:22 PM

595 posts, read 332,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I'm sure you've heard this before: Doesn't this view of God make any claim about the supernatural possible? I think this discussion is better for the Philosophy forum, but thanks for the response.
Hmmm... It is possible that was implied in what I said somehow because that is in fact what I believe to be the case. The subjective basis for spirituality means that diversity of thought is unavoidable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 07:29 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,695,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellmckain View Post
Hmmm... It is possible that was implied in what I said somehow because that is in fact what I believe to be the case. The subjective basis for spirituality means that diversity of thought is unavoidable.
So, how did you come to the Christian belief, or did I understand that you believe this because its what makes you feel the most comfortable?

Old 06-27-2016, 07:50 PM

595 posts, read 332,037 times
Quote:
So, how did you come to the Christian belief, or did I understand that you believe this because its what makes you feel the most comfortable?
Well I did consider a number of different religions starting with Buddhism. The Hari Krishnas were the closest I got to Hinduism and in fact this has been absorbed into Hinduism (which has always embraced considerable diversity anyway) these days. The Bahai were as close as I got to Islam. I also took a look at the more in your face Christians variants like Mormonism, Jehovah Witnesses, and the Moonies. And I visited many different denominations of Christianity as well. In any case, what can I say but that I made choices regarding what made the most sense to me.

Well... I guess what I can say is that there a lot of ideas in Christianity which I do not believe in, while there are also some things that really appeal to me. For example check this out: Christian ideas of God I do not believe in.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:40 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
Quote:
Do the presentations of the Bible character Jesus require some amount of belief as well? If so, could you provide the basis for this belief also?
The only elements of the presentation of Jesus that are really important are His teachings on the nature of God, our relationship with God and with our fellow man, along with the example of His actions. Miracles and the nature of the relationship among the Father, the Christ and the Spirit are not important. Therefore the presentation in the NT only requires accordance with my perceptions of how things work.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:28 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The only elements of the presentation of Jesus that are really important are His teachings on the nature of God, our relationship with God and with our fellow man, along with the example of His actions. Miracles and the nature of the relationship among the Father, the Christ and the Spirit are not important. Therefore the presentation in the NT only requires accordance with my perceptions of how things work.

Old 06-28-2016, 03:06 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,023,019 times
I came to the complete belief that from the bible Acts 2 were people receive Jesus Holy Spirit on their space , and that God spirit will abide on people which can be everlasting , which is the baptism of Holy Spirit were the power of God come to over the world , and the dark spirits in the world ................As People receive this promise of God which come by first repentance and prayer and devotion to Jesus ................ See this character of Holy spirit is the same character which Jesus preached about and this character of God spirit is the same character of Jesus Christ ............... People who have receive this new birth where God spirit which is not seen but has fruits of the spirit , like peace love joy which are completely evident to the person where God spirit is , where as if people have not received this new birth that there faith in God , will be second hand knowledge, or tradition of devotion which legalism would be stronger.......... This belief through Jesus new birth in the spirit is also 93% belief , where to believe more come with the gifts of Holy spirit which God will give to help others .......

Old 06-28-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Many other religions teach the same virtues of love and peace. What brought you to your realization that the Christian God, versus Allah, Vishnu, Buddha, or many others, was the correct God to believe in and follow?

Old 06-28-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellmckain View Post
Well I did consider a number of different religions starting with Buddhism. The Hari Krishnas were the closest I got to Hinduism and in fact this has been absorbed into Hinduism (which has always embraced considerable diversity anyway) these days. The Bahai were as close as I got to Islam. I also took a look at the more in your face Christians variants like Mormonism, Jehovah Witnesses, and the Moonies. And I visited many different denominations of Christianity as well. In any case, what can I say but that I made choices regarding what made the most sense to me.

Well... I guess what I can say is that there a lot of ideas in Christianity which I do not believe in, while there are also some things that really appeal to me. For example check this out: Christian ideas of God I do not believe in.
Can you expand on the tenets of Christianity that made the most sense to you and how you came to that realization?

Old 06-28-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
I came to the complete belief that from the bible Acts 2 were people receive Jesus Holy Spirit on their space , and that God spirit will abide on people which can be everlasting , which is the baptism of Holy Spirit were the power of God come to over the world , and the dark spirits in the world ................As People receive this promise of God which come by first repentance and prayer and devotion to Jesus ................ See this character of Holy spirit is the same character which Jesus preached about and this character of God spirit is the same character of Jesus Christ ............... People who have receive this new birth where God spirit which is not seen but has fruits of the spirit , like peace love joy which are completely evident to the person where God spirit is , where as if people have not received this new birth that there faith in God , will be second hand knowledge, or tradition of devotion which legalism would be stronger.......... This belief through Jesus new birth in the spirit is also 93% belief , where to believe more come with the gifts of Holy spirit which God will give to help others .......
I'll respond the same way I did to Nate. Many other religions teach the same virtues of love, joy and peace. What brought you to your realization that the Christian God, versus Allah, Vishnu, Buddha, or many others, was the correct God to believe in and follow?

Old 06-28-2016, 10:29 AM

537 posts, read 446,529 times
Like to say 100%.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity