Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 10:42 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,836 times

Advertisements

Have you ever wondered if animals can be possessed by demons? The recent news about a chimpanzee that viciously attacked a woman in Connecticut, nearly killing her, had me thinking about that possibility...

Animal experts are baffled by chimp attack (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090217/ap_on_re_us/chimpanzee_attack - broken link)

The 200lb animal attacked violently, seemingly without any provocation, and was familiar with the woman...she was no stranger. The chimp had apparently been a good companion and pet for 14 years, but then it's peaceful attitude had suddenly changed.

There is the story in the Bible about the man possessed by "Legion", (thousands of demons), who lived amongst the tombs and was naked:

Luke 8:
26And they arrived at the country of the Gadarenes, which is over against Galilee.
27And when he went forth to land, there met him out of the city a certain man, which had devils long time, and ware no clothes, neither abode in any house, but in the tombs.
28When he saw Jesus, he cried out, and fell down before him, and with a loud voice said, What have I to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God most high? I beseech thee, torment me not.
29(For he had commanded the unclean spirit to come out of the man. For oftentimes it had caught him: and he was kept bound with chains and in fetters; and he brake the bands, and was driven of the devil into the wilderness.)
30And Jesus asked him, saying, What is thy name? And he said, Legion: because many devils were entered into him.
31And they besought him that he would not command them to go out into the deep.
32And there was there an herd of many swine feeding on the mountain: and they besought him that he would suffer them to enter into them. And he suffered them.
33Then went the devils out of the man, and entered into the swine: and the herd ran violently down a steep place into the lake, and were choked.

Do you ever wonder about family pet dogs (and other animals) that turn mean and attack people? ...

Has anyone ever tried a "STOP...in the name of JESUS!" command to such an animal? What did it do? Just curious...

Bud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 10:44 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
demonic possession cant be proven. spirits inhabiting bodies how can you prove that.
but dementia mental illness in humans yes, animals can lose it just like people but remember a chimp is a wild animal. he is not domesticated. we love our pets but wild animals should never be pets.
they were not meant to live with us. they are cute when little but become dangerous when grown.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:59 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,305,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Have you ever wondered if animals can be possessed by demons? The recent news about a chimpanzee that viciously attacked a woman in Connecticut, nearly killing her, had me thinking about that possibility...

Animal experts are baffled by chimp attack (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090217/ap_on_re_us/chimpanzee_attack - broken link)

The 200lb animal attacked violently, seemingly without any provocation, and was familiar with the woman...she was no stranger. The chimp had apparently been a good companion and pet for 14 years, but then it's peaceful attitude had suddenly changed.

There is the story in the Bible about the man possessed by "Legion", (thousands of demons), who lived amongst the tombs and was naked:

Luke 8:
26And they arrived at the country of the Gadarenes, which is over against Galilee.
27And when he went forth to land, there met him out of the city a certain man, which had devils long time, and ware no clothes, neither abode in any house, but in the tombs.
28When he saw Jesus, he cried out, and fell down before him, and with a loud voice said, What have I to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God most high? I beseech thee, torment me not.
29(For he had commanded the unclean spirit to come out of the man. For oftentimes it had caught him: and he was kept bound with chains and in fetters; and he brake the bands, and was driven of the devil into the wilderness.)
30And Jesus asked him, saying, What is thy name? And he said, Legion: because many devils were entered into him.
31And they besought him that he would not command them to go out into the deep.
32And there was there an herd of many swine feeding on the mountain: and they besought him that he would suffer them to enter into them. And he suffered them.
33Then went the devils out of the man, and entered into the swine: and the herd ran violently down a steep place into the lake, and were choked.

Do you ever wonder about family pet dogs (and other animals) that turn mean and attack people? ...

Has anyone ever tried a "STOP...in the name of JESUS!" command to such an animal? What did it do? Just curious...

Bud
Well, the only scripture that I know of is the swine that Jesus cast the demons into. Other than that I don't know. I believe that demons can take on some type of form, so can they take on a form or go into a dog, I don't know.

It is a good question to ask.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:22 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
I think the more clear questions is "can animals be 'spirit' possesed?"

The answer is yes IMHO.

God made a donkey talk, it wasn't by it's own power. Ravens were "ordered" to feed Elijah and of course, the pigs.

Not sure if that was the case with the chimp or not though.

Of course that then begs the question - if animals can be spirit possesed, do they have a spirit? I say yes.

St. Francis thought so and preached to them!

http://www.americancatholic.org/feat...is/stories.asp

Old 02-19-2009, 07:18 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,767,656 times
Animals dont have free will like man so my guess is that a spirit..
Could use an animal as a vessel,but not make the animal do things..
Thats my guess.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:31 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
You know, I never thought about that...I suppose it's possible, but I don't think this was the case with the chimp. Like Huck said, some animals aren't meant to live with us. And chimps can be violent as the two connecticutt women found the hard way.

Personally, I'd never have anything wilder than a housecat in my home.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:03 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
We have an old cat that I suspect is demon posessed

Old 02-19-2009, 08:09 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
Quote:
Originally posted by denverian
We have an old cat that I suspect is demon posessed
Ha! good one!

Old 02-19-2009, 10:27 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,071,078 times
Honestly this is like asking why that tiger bit Sigfried (or was it Roy).

They are animals. Oh and lookie here.. the owner gave the chimp.. Xanax.. and the chimp had lyme disease.. fantastic..

This story is full of great quotes:

"I don't know the effects of Lyme disease on chimpanzees,..."

Hmm.. thanks to stupid people like the owner we now have a clue...

I also like..

"He's been raised almost like a child by this family," Conklin said. "He rides in a car every day. He opens doors. He's a very unique animal in that aspect. We have no indication of what provoked this behavior at all."

Yeah.. he is just like a human child... until he goes absolutely crazy and starts going Rick Flair on my friend! ZOMG!! I'm so shocked that an animal that isn't a human.. ends up acting like an animal. I mean this is just beyond my comprehension! I gave him Lobster because we all know Chimps love Lobsters!!! Such a natural food source in the jungles of Sierra Leone. Lobsters grow on trees there don't ya know?!? Ungrateful little chimp..

You know what other chimps got pampered their entire life?

These chimps: ANIMAL PEOPLE I May2006 | 1st chimp at Tacugama kills man, leads escape

Oh.. and then they escaped and "Taking the Davises by surprise, the escaped chimps reportedly bit or tore off St. James Davis’ nose, testicles, his left foot, and several fingers on both hands, as well as putting out one of his eyes. Mark Carruthers, Brauer’s son-in-law, shot both chimps, summoned police and medics, and provided first aid as instructed by the 911 dispatcher."

Maybe the owner in connecticut should have thought of feeding her chimp testicles instead..

I bet those chimps in the sanctuary didn't get lobster so it kinda throws out the theory that giving a chimp lobster in some miraculous way changes 10 million years of evolution.

No.. I don't think animals get possessed. I think humans put themselves in ridiculously stupid situations then like to blame the actions of a wild animal on some unseen force... because thats easier than saying.. "I'm a freakin' moron.."

This news just came in this morning:

AP News Release

Man catches Great White Shark and puts arm in sharks mouth. Shark bites. Man loses arm. Man shocked. Man considering legal action against Shark species.

Old 02-19-2009, 10:39 AM

1,534 posts, read 1,991,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I think the more clear questions is "can animals be 'spirit' possesed?"

The answer is yes IMHO.

God made a donkey talk, it wasn't by it's own power. Ravens were "ordered" to feed Elijah and of course, the pigs.

Not sure if that was the case with the chimp or not though.

Of course that then begs the question - if animals can be spirit possesed, do they have a spirit? I say yes.

St. Francis thought so and preached to them!

Stories about St. Francis and the animals

May I ask what your defintion of 'spirit' is? And are you using it as the same as 'soul'?

Thx...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity