Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 12:07 PM

741 posts, read 444,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Something just seems utterly weird about the whole thing. Seems like some kind of warped extortion, doesn't it? God has a cauldron of eternal fire some place awaiting all those who do not worship and patronize him or accept his "gift" so it is best to have him save you from what he can do to you. If it is not the fear of that (as I know not all Christians believe in the eternal barbecue), then it is some other fear God has control over, so aren't saved folks feeling the need to be saved BY God FROM said God?

Please forgive me if I cannot wrap my mind around this one, but strip away all the religio-speak, isn't this what is going on?
Being saved from God? No, being saved from sin that in turn incurs death. To turn from wrong doing is to turn towards God. There is no saving for those that turn away from God.

As I brought out in another thread. There's a hidden cliff. There's a sign at the cliff that says, "Danger Cliff! Don't jump in, you will die." A person ignores the sign, jumps in anyway and dies. Who's to blame? Gravity? The sign? The person that put up the sign? Or the person that decided to jump off the cliff? If a person doesn't fall because they read the sign and avoids the cliff, who is the savior? Isn't it the sign maker?

Folks have to realize there is a choice in all of this. Oh but there is no eternal fire BTW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 01:27 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,051,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Something just seems utterly weird about the whole thing. Seems like some kind of warped extortion, doesn't it? God has a cauldron of eternal fire some place awaiting all those who do not worship and patronize him or accept his "gift" so it is best to have him save you from what he can do to you. If it is not the fear of that (as I know not all Christians believe in the eternal barbecue), then it is some other fear God has control over, so aren't saved folks feeling the need to be saved BY God FROM said God?

Please forgive me if I cannot wrap my mind around this one, but strip away all the religio-speak, isn't this what is going on?
God is on your side. It is the devil you need saved from.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:30 PM

741 posts, read 444,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granpa View Post

No arguments here!

Old 07-06-2016, 01:38 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,602,505 times
Quote:
If that's true, why does god let the devil exist. You guys never think anything through.

In your opinion, has god or the devil been on my side for the last 45 years?

Old 07-06-2016, 01:48 PM

Why does God let 2+2 equal 4? It just does. That's the way things are.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:49 PM

Why does Bubonic plague exist?

Old 07-06-2016, 02:19 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,602,505 times
Quote:

Quote:
Why does Bubonic plague exist?

That's really not helping you out.

Your question should have asked..

Why did god create the Bubonic Plague, why did it use it to kill a a third of the population and why does it still let the plague exist?

A third of the human population... Well it wasn't a flood.

Old 07-06-2016, 02:20 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,001,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Timothy316 View Post
Being saved from God? No, being saved from sin that in turn incurs death. To turn from wrong doing is to turn towards God. There is no saving for those that turn away from God.

As I brought out in another thread. There's a hidden cliff. There's a sign at the cliff that says, "Danger Cliff! Don't jump in, you will die." A person ignores the sign, jumps in anyway and dies. Who's to blame? Gravity? The sign? The person that put up the sign? Or the person that decided to jump off the cliff? If a person doesn't fall because they read the sign and avoids the cliff, who is the savior? Isn't it the sign maker?

Folks have to realize there is a choice in all of this. Oh but there is no eternal fire BTW.
"Saved from sin?" What does that even mean?

Old 07-06-2016, 02:26 PM

Don't blame the doctor for the disease

Old 07-06-2016, 02:27 PM

A bit like blaming the police for crime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity