Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 05:52 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I could be wrong and I'm sure Euse will correct me, but Strongs concordance as Potter to mean imagination..
Looks like there's some sort of connection with imagination: yetser/yatsar

Strong's Hebrew: 3336. ?????? (yetser) -- a form, framing, purpose
Strong's Hebrew: 3335. ????? (yatsar) -- to form, fashion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 10:33 PM

63,814 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
I read once that the potter is our imagination. Which I also believe is the beginning of all creation. How can anything be created without imagination ?.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
If you ask why two words were used to describe how we were made in God's image and likeness, one answer would be we were made in God's imagination and like Him having imagination (in His likeness). Just saying.

Old 07-23-2016, 05:58 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
You have a choice to make, choose wisely for you will reap what is sown.
Of course we make choices. But what **causes** those choices to be made. They are not causeless choices. They are not free from causality.

For instance, as an example: A man smokes for many years. He sees t.v. commercials aimed at the negatives of smoking. He now has a fear produced by those commercials of getting cancer. The fear is greater than his joy of smoking so he quits. So there were two forces pulling at him, joy and fear. Fear won the battle.

If there is a lesson to be learned from sowing and reaping it is because God made it so we would learn that lesson. The lesson doesn't come from nowhere.

Old 07-23-2016, 06:03 AM

Quote:
I could be wrong and I'm sure Euse will correct me, but Strongs concordance as Potter to mean imagination..
The use of "potter" in Romans 9 gives us the basic meaning of the word. It is one who turns a lump of clay into a vessel for either honor or dishonor.

Some pieces of potter are used for holding beautiful flowers or wine, and some are made for bed pans or spittoons.

But in the end, all the vessels will be vessels of glory for He will have mercy on all (Romans 11:32).

Old 07-23-2016, 07:28 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
The use of "potter" in Romans 9 gives us the basic meaning of the word. It is one who turns a lump of clay into a vessel for either honor or dishonor.

Some pieces of potter are used for holding beautiful flowers or wine, and some are made for bed pans or spittoons.

But in the end, all the vessels will be vessels of glory for He will have mercy on all (Romans 11:32).
So you agree the great potter is using imagination and taking that which is marred(not by the great potter but by imagination gone wild) and making it into something that he had first attended....... His likeness. For when we see him we shall be like him. So if our imagination can capture the same image the great potter works from what do you think will be the outcome ?

Here's a clue..... But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord

Old 07-23-2016, 09:13 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Of course we make choices. But what **causes** those choices to be made. They are not causeless choices. They are not free from causality.

For instance, as an example: A man smokes for many years. He sees t.v. commercials aimed at the negatives of smoking. He now has a fear produced by those commercials of getting cancer. The fear is greater than his joy of smoking so he quits. So there were two forces pulling at him, joy and fear. Fear won the battle.

If there is a lesson to be learned from sowing and reaping it is because God made it so we would learn that lesson. The lesson doesn't come from nowhere.
I have the choice of smoking without the propaganda.

Old 07-23-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I have the choice of smoking without the propaganda.
But your choice is not uncaused. Therefore it is not truly free for if it were truly free it would have to be an uncaused choice free from all causality.

Old 07-23-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
So you agree the great potter is using imagination and taking that which is marred(not by the great potter but by imagination gone wild) and making it into something that he had first attended....... His likeness. For when we see him we shall be like him. So if our imagination can capture the same image the great potter works from what do you think will be the outcome ?

Here's a clue..... But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord
I didn't know I agreed that potter = imagination.

Jeremiah says the clay was marred in His hands (Jer.18:4) It doesn't say the clay marred itself by its own imagination. It is marred due to God's inviolable will and intention with the understanding that it won't always be marred. It will be changed with the new creation comes.

I agree though with you that we all are being changed. That is a wonderful thing!

Old 07-23-2016, 11:22 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
I didn't know I agreed that potter = imagination.

Jeremiah says the clay was marred in His hands (Jer.18:4) It doesn't say the clay marred itself by its own imagination. It is marred due to God's inviolable will and intention with the understanding that it won't always be marred. It will be changed with the new creation comes.

I agree though with you that we all are being changed. That is a wonderful thing!
Of cause it was marred in his hands. He(the master potter)walked into the potters house picked up the clay and said what the hell have you done?.

Last edited by pcamps; 07-23-2016 at 12:46 PM..

Old 07-23-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Of cause it was marred in his hands. He(the master potter)walked into the potters house picked up the clay and said what the hell have you done?.
No, the potter would have to say "what the hell have I done?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity