Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 08:24 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,837,585 times

Advertisements

Homo sapiens have existed since about 195,000 years ago but may have developed what we consider modern traits closer to 50,000 years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo_sapiens

So where does Adam & Eve fit in within this timeline?

Old 07-26-2016, 08:29 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
The need for such a coming of age myth probably would have been considerably greater not long after the agricultural revolution about 10,000 years ago. I have not looked into herding cultures morality, nor am I sure how long that development would have preceded the agricultural revolution. The temptations to selfish behavior must have been exponentially greater, though.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:52 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,837,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The need for such a coming of age myth probably would have been considerably greater not long after the agricultural revolution about 10,000 years ago. I have not looked into herding cultures morality, nor am I sure how long that development would have preceded the agricultural revolution. The temptations to selfish behavior must have been exponentially greater, though.
Myth? Christians are supposed to accept it as reality wholeheartedly. That's what I was taught growing up.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:59 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
Myth? Christians are supposed to accept it as reality wholeheartedly. That's what I was taught growing up.
LOL! Welcome to the CD "Christian" message board!

Old 07-26-2016, 09:24 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Oh? I'm sorry about that. The idea is preposterous of course, as is the perception of the role and use of the Bible in our faith that you were probably taught as well.

It's an interesting question, though.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:56 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Never.

Old 07-26-2016, 09:57 PM

595 posts, read 331,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Yeah, I put them around this time also - just before the beginning of human civilization.

Of course, they were not the first homo sapiens, not even in the Bible. They were simply a couple living on their own whom God spoke to.

In Genesis 4 Cain is afraid that being made to wander the earth would mean that the others out there would kill him.

Quote:
Genesis 6:1 When men began to multiply on the face of the ground, and daughters were born to them, 2 the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were fair; and they took to wife such of them as they chose. 3 Then the Lord said, “My spirit shall not abide in man for ever, for he is flesh, but his days shall be a hundred and twenty years.” 4 The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men, and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men that were of old, the men of renown.
The two surviving sons took their wives from the daughters of the other homo sapiens out there and their children became the leaders of the first human civilization. What God taught Adam and Eve spread through the world and thus it is a memetic heritage which connects everyone to them rather than a genetic one.

So instead of an ancient necromancer making golems of dust and flesh in a garden of magical fruit trees and talking animals, I believe in God who created life according to the laws of the universe which because its nature as a self-organizing phenomena was not a creation by design. The word "dust" being the closest the language at the time could come to "matter" and God's breath refers to "inspiration," which is where that word comes from.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:00 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,052,927 times
Quote:
Homo sapiens have existed since about 195,000 years ago but may have developed what we consider modern traits closer to 50,000 years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo_sapiens

So where does Adam & Eve fit in within this timeline?
Adam = 3345 bc = 1,204,200 days bc

Old 07-27-2016, 02:40 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
Got 4,004 BC or 6,010 years ago during the bronze age God made this man Adam in the image of God and were man had the first interaction with the living God .....There were people living on the earth as the bible itself records that Cain`s wife parents were already here before Adam in theory ........ See even Jesus believed in the existence of Adam and Eve as the very spiritual authority God gave Adam were Adam lost through rebellion , is the spiritual authority that God gave Jesus today

Old 07-27-2016, 03:09 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
how does an educated and informed person rationalize the idea that two people populated the entire earth? mathematically it is impossible. and then a few thousand years later Noah's family did it all over again? Unless humans were breeding like rabbits, it could not be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity