Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2016, 11:00 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,813,714 times

Advertisements

pardes: the four levels of jewish interpretation of their scriptures
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 12:24 AM

63,875 posts, read 40,149,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
What's up with the sudden influx of Kierkegaard worshippers who make Kierkegaard the authority over the Spirit?
Nothing is up, just the same old Finn, lying about what people are doing or believing or worshiping! No one has made anyone or anything the authority over the Spirit except you and your fundamentalist cohort who make the Bible the authority over the Spirit - the authority we were actually promised and follow.

Last edited by MysticPhD; 09-09-2016 at 12:48 AM..

Old 09-09-2016, 12:40 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,721,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Sorry I didn't have time to emphasize on the subject of philosophy as per the reading material you quoted from.
I do love one of the words you used in one of your post.
Distinction.
?Is he a philosopher-lover of wisdom

?or a theologian-see theology.

If it is Wisdom you seek why not read from scripture?
Solomon was very wise. Now of course our Lord and Savior is Greater.

Not sure if you are interested in the Greek or Latin culture. But it has roots in a pantheistic belief system. Set up accordingly with a priesthood and calendrical offerings to the various 'gods' of which the word theos is a derivative.

Now after experiencing such a Glory as the Son of God. Many a person's do not see fellowship as an intellectual debate. But rather a sharing of spiritual manna.
Which Is why many Love to share in edifying the body of Christ.

I hope this helps.
Now if your G-d is everywhere. Why not in the scriptures?
I was almost out of college (and my Bible courses) before I became aware that one does not read Scripture for wisdom. One must bring wisdom to reading Scripture. Besides Scripture contradicts its views about wisdom unless you believe in God's use of situational ethics--which I do.

According to Proverbs 4:7--
Quote:
The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding.
Quote:
But the wisest man in the Bible (many claim), Solomon wrote this in the first chapter of Ecclesiastes:
"I said to myself, “Look, I have increased in wisdom more than anyone who has ruled over Jerusalem before me; I have experienced much of wisdom and knowledge.” Then I applied myself to the understanding of wisdom, and also of madness and folly, but I learned that this, too, is a chasing after the wind. For with much wisdom comes much sorrow;
the more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes 1:16-18
Both writers were no doubt inspired by God to claim opposite viewpoints. But both were in different situations at the time.

Now I welcome your biblical evidence that these are not contrary. Please don't give me a creative story that is the hallmark of fundamentalists inability to reconcile Scripture--a made up reason to which you give biblical authority. Just USE THE BIBLE! Because if Scripture speaks for itself, and God does not speak outside of Scripture--all you need to do is provide chapter and verse!

My God inspired men to write about their faith--in their time--in their circumstances. But each generation must find new meaning in Scripture for the current times. And that is what men and women have been doing for hundreds of years as circumstances and situations change.

Yet if you haven't seen God in nature, or exposed in the kindness and helpfulness of another (even an ATHEIST!! God forbid), then you have no Spirit to help you find Him. You need to find that Spirit first, obtain a deep biblical education (seminary courses are best) and have the scales removed from your eyes.

I'm not upset that God spoke through men at different times and in opposite ways. He was reaching out to where they were. The writer of Proverbs was upbeat in his assessment of wisdom. Solomon (if he were the writer) was in the dumps. God came to him where he was not where God necessarily wanted him to be.

In every generation God speaks through PEOPLE. God reinterprets Scripture through PEOPLE. God blesses and sometimes chastises us through PEOPLE.

Prepare yourself so that you can FIND wisdom in Scripture--just reading it without using PEOPLE who have educated themselves in the subject cannot help you. Even the Bible gives you a story about that.
Quote:
So Philip ran up and heard the man reading Isaiah the prophet. “Do you understand what you are reading?” Philip asked. "How can I," he said, "unless someone guides me?"
Acts 8:30-31a

Much has now been discovered about Scripture that was unknown for the past seventeen or eighteen centuries. We are learning anew. And we either need to do that study ourselves (in the original languages) or read wide spread views by others who have spent lifetimes doing that study.

"Study to show yourselves approved unto God, rightly dividing the word of truth" does not now nor ever has meant opening a Bible and thrusting one's finger on a verse of Scripture. Those Pharisees studied very, very hard--and Jesus told them they missed the entire message of the OT. It wasn't that they missed out on "sins." Jesus told them they missed out on love:

Quote:
Jesus said unto him, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, You shall love your neighbour as yourself. On these two commandments hang ALL the law and the prophets.
Matt. 22:37-40

Getting caught up in "sins" of others, is exactly what the Pharisess did. And they missed out on the meaning of ALL the LAW.

Just think how different following Christ would be like if we had only that quote of Jesus and no OT for people to dig through, unearth a genocidal god, and thrust him to the forefront as they have done.

Old 09-09-2016, 12:50 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,721,807 times
The biblical view of Jews has changed over the centuries as well. In fact you can read from the oldest to the more later rabbis and see brand new interpretations of Scripture.

Meaning that Scripture is like the Constitution of the United States. It changes to fit our particular situation. Perhaps you are unhappy because it is changing once again and you are being left behind.

Take a few seminary courses from an established seminary that provides alternate viewpoints. Fuller Theological Seminary has been a very conservative Christian seminary--but even it is beginning to change its formerly established viewpoints. A few years ago, this occurred:

Quote:
Mark Labberton, president of Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena, Calif., announced this week that the evangelical seminary's willingness to allow OneTable, an LGBTQ student-led organization, to hold monthly meetings and sponsor campus events does not conflict with the institution's policies and Christian moral beliefs and teachings.

In a statement shared with The Christian Post, Labberton said the administration welcomes "the opportunity to engage over vigorous issues of debate within the church and within culture," and understands that their decision to allow an LGBT student organization on campus leaves the seminary "vulnerable to critique from a broad spectrum."
Read more at Fuller Seminary President Responds to Concerns About Student-Led LGBT Group on Campus

God is opening their hearts to new interpretations of Scripture. Maybe if you studied, you would find God working through you.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:13 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,320,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
If you weren't so blinded by your hate and rebellion, you'd notice I've never mentioned the word hell in any of my posts. But that wouldn't fit with your one man fundy hate machinations distorting things, would it? Selah yourself.

As for the Trinity debate, those with the Spirit don't need to ponder it. Peace
This is getting very old from you and Finn Jarber accusing everyone who disagrees with you of being hateful.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
As an example of how God can and does operate through "secular" thought, consider this event that Peter Enns describes in his book, The Sin of Certainty: Why God Desires Our Trust More Than Our "Correct" Beliefs. He was flying home from an evangelical conference and decided to watch the movie Bridge to Teribithia produced by Disney. The story is about two fifth graders, the boy, Jess a fundamentalist prodigy and a girl, Leslie, who is rather free-spirited. Leslie agrees to go to the boy's church and hears some hellfire and brimstone. Afterwards, they are in the back of the boy's family truck when this scene unfolds:

[Leslie] "That whole Jesus thing. It's really interesting."
[May Belle, Jess' sister is shocked] "It's not an interesting story! It's scary! It's nailing holes through your hands. It's because we are all vile sinners that God made Jesus die."
[Leslie looks at Maybelle like she had just declared babies were delivered by storks] "Do you really think that's true?"
[Not only do they believe it, but they have to according to Jess] "Because it's in the Bible."
[May Belle]"If you don't believe in the Bible, God will damn you to hell when you die."
[Leslie, having none of it] "I seriously do not think God goes around damning people to hell. He's too busy running all this!" [pointing to the sky and trees]

Enns said he was completely taken aback when the Disney that brought us Mickey Mouse and Goofy, and Son of Flubber ventured into a religious debate. He writes:

Peter Enns, The Sin of Certainty: Why God Desires Our Trust More Than Our "Correct" Beliefs, Chapter one.

He follows up by saying that a 52 second clip of that movie had his view of God flying out the cabin window like a loss of air pressure.

And that's how God can and does work OUTSIDE Scripture to bring new insights to those He is looking to grow.
Amen Warden.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:29 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,599,441 times
Quote:

Now after experiencing such a Glory as the Son of God. Many a person's do not see fellowship as an intellectual debate. But rather a sharing of spiritual manna.

I hope this helps.
I get this.

We are social beings so we do social things. Like minded people hang out with like minded people sometimes. we do football games, book clubs, and beef and beers. Your club is body of christ.

Yes, the universe is "in your bible". The difference is how some clubs use the bible. As a guide or central theme it does its job. Some like harry potter and others like captain america, but I can see the bible being better adapted to do the job.

Literal bible is meaningless. The bible as a weapon is like using a baseball team as motivation to invade and wipe out another country.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:44 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,599,441 times
from wiki:

" ... In the view of the existentialist, the individual's starting point is characterized by what has been called "the existential attitude", or a sense of disorientation and confusion in the face of an apparently meaningless or absurd world. ..."

It explains fundy and milli mentals. The brain does not "lock up" in the face of such error, "the world around us", it will make sense of whatever is going on around them. Add a string like "literal religion" or literal "lack of belief" and the absurdity can be lessened.

basically the people are "crazy" around us. We see many types of 'crazy" so some of us lock onto one type of "crazy" so we at least can "mentally live" in on type and don't wonder around looked confused all the time.

No-god do I wish my brain just grabbed a string to tighten "it" up. Life would just be easier.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Sorry I didn't have time to emphasize on the subject of philosophy as per the reading material you quoted from.
I do love one of the words you used in one of your post.
Distinction.
?Is he a philosopher-lover of wisdom

?or a theologian-see theology.

If it is Wisdom you seek why not read from scripture?
Solomon was very wise. Now of course our Lord and Savior is Greater.

Not sure if you are interested in the Greek or Latin culture. But it has roots in a pantheistic belief system. Set up accordingly with a priesthood and calendrical offerings to the various 'gods' of which the word theos is a derivative.

I hope this helps.
Of cause God is in the scriptures for God is in all things. He's even in the bible fundamentalist, yet hidden under their biasses, prejudices and mis conceptions.

Old 09-09-2016, 08:14 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,405,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1;45418921[B
]If you weren't so blinded by your hate and rebellion,[/b] you'd notice I've never mentioned the word hell in any of my posts. But that wouldn't fit with your one man fundy hate machinations distorting things, would it? Selah yourself.

As for the Trinity debate, those with the Spirit don't need to ponder it. Peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
This is getting very old from you and Finn Jarber accusing everyone who disagrees with you of being hateful.
"Hateful" is in the eye of the beholder, I think. Rbbi, your posts come across very hateful to me, but I would guess that you do not believe your motivation for posting is any more hateful than Warden believes his motivation to be, or any of the rest of us.

What I find more interesting is the word "rebellion". You've called me rebellious as well. What, exactly, do you think Warden or I are rebelling against? Rebellion has to do with resisting someone who is trying to control or have authority over another. There are 2 options, then ... either YOU are trying to control people or have authority over them, and are upset that we are resisting you. Or you think God wants to control people or have authority over them, and that we are resisting God. I honestly think it's the former and you just don't realize it, but I'm sure you think it is the latter. Since you equate God's authority with the bible (and especially your particular take on the bible), you are upset because we do not accept every word of the bible (and what you say about it) as truth. That, to you, is rebellion.

Your posts, on the other hand, show rebellion against the God who IS LOVE pretty consistently. Choose this day whom you shall serve: the God who is love, or the bible. You can't serve both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity